Photo

X264 Mkv And Other Codecs Playable Linux?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 revengeismyfury

revengeismyfury

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Halo 3 Live, Anime, XBMC.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:02 AM

hey guys I'm thinking of getting an xbox 360 to downgrade using the timing attack and then to run linux on it. I'm just wondering if I did that, if I would be able to play and output high definition content from the xbox 360 onto my tv.

Like the h.264 format for example. I know right now that xbox media center is working on a port to linux at this moment as well, which in the next year or so would be nice to have that installed ontop of linux installed on the xbox360.

I know that sooner or later I'm gonna have to upgrade from my xbox 1, I just want to be able to play all of my multimedia more than games at this current moment.

Not sure if this was the right forum for this question.

#2 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:06 AM

you could, although not very well. linux has limited hardware use on the 360 so far (with no sound support) so its not going to be worth it for the time being

#3 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,808 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:06 AM

Have you considered a PS3? You can install Linux right out of the box without any need to mod anything. And it has a user replaceable hard drive so you can install any size hard drive you wish. This all can be done with no modding or voiding of any warranty.

#4 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:36 AM

even a PS3's linux wouldnt be the best, its severely limited with the hypervisor disabling access to most of the CPU and GPU. i would suggest something like a media centre capable of 1080p via HDMi. ive seen plenty cheaper than the 360 or PS3

#5 revengeismyfury

revengeismyfury

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Halo 3 Live, Anime, XBMC.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:42 AM

yeah I was thinking of the ps3 as a possible solution as well, I'm a newb when it comes to linux though. A replaceable hdd I don't care about as much because I have backups of all my multimedia. Hmm, it actually looks like ps3 is the better choice, if I wait a year or so until xbmc can be used with linux too, then it would be really good.

Then again it depends on how soon I get a high definition tv, its just kind of annoying that my xbox woln't play the x264 format, and thats why I'm looking into alternatives because I know that tv on the xbox isnt cutting it anymore.

But, does linux for the ps3 output high definition and is it easy to install the x264 codecs and mkv ogm etc... I guess even if it isn't easy I can figure it out.

Anyways thanks for the replies guys. If anyone has any good tutorial links to installing codec packs on ps3 linux and playing them back in high defnition that would be great. I imagine I'm gonna have to probaly wait on xbmc to be fully ported to linux too though, main reason is because its got that auto resolution correction feature and tv calibration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users