• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 darkjedi187

darkjedi187

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:00 AM

Ok I just got an xbox off ebay yesterday and it already had xbmc on it. But I don't know how it was put on. I checked inside the xbox and it doesn't have a mode chip, I think it was put on with a software mod, but I don't know which one.

Is there any way to figure out what soft mode was used?

I found unleashx on the memory card and 2 xbmc installs.

It still has the original 8 gig drive in it. With data on e: and q:. I really don't know which one is xbmc.

I have more questions but I would appreciate it if someone could help me out.

#2 Spamwich

Spamwich

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:24 AM

It doesn't really matter how it got on there, just that it is on there and functioning properly.

#3 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:54 AM

You probably need to state what it is you are wanting to do. I f the box works i wouldn't start messing with it at all.

#4 darkjedi187

darkjedi187

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:45 AM

I'm actually trying to update my xbmc and be able to dualboot to xbox bashboard and xbmc. Right now it boots into xbmc and when i turn it on from the eject i get error 21.

Edited by darkjedi187, 29 March 2008 - 01:47 AM.

#5 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:34 AM

Hi,

ftp your new xbmc files over to a folder like e:\apps\xbmcnew

run the default.xbe from within your current xbmc dash and carefully check that everything is working properly.

take a look at the shortcut provided with xbmc. You can launch your new dashboard with it.

Change your startup xbe to the shortcut one. Don't forget the cfg file that the shortcut needs. Upon next reboot, your new xbmc should come up.

If you mess things up, it is possible that your dashboard refuses to start. In that case, you wan't be able to ftp to the xbox either. So, backup your xbox eeprom (eeprom.bin file) before you start experimenting.

ftp the file to your pc. If it sits on your locked xbox harddisk, it is useless.

Check your system for a shadowc. If you see no sign of a softmod on your c partition, you will have a shadowc enabled. You will probably need to install a fresh M$dash on that shadowc to get rid of the error 21.

You can extract the needed files from a Slayers xiso.

regards.

#6 darkjedi187

darkjedi187

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:28 PM

Thanks. I will try what you have suggested. I tried to check out a couple of these files thru the file manager and was unable to find them. I'm just not sure how my xbox is set to boot, I think that is my main problem.

Edited by darkjedi187, 29 March 2008 - 12:36 PM.

#7 darkjedi187

darkjedi187

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:07 PM

ok I ftp'd into it and copy everything over to my hd. I am unable to find an eeprom.bin, but I did find unleashx, ndts, knoppix, and dash folder. It seems the dash folder is the one with the config. How do I know how the system know to look there instead of the c:. I also tried to back up the eeprom from unleashx but it doesn't create the folders or the files. Thanks

#8 darkjedi187

darkjedi187

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:22 PM

Ok made some progress I got xbmc updates a copy of the eeprom and figured out that the softmode is ndure. The only thing I can't do is fix my original dash. For some odd reason I cannot update the files on c:. Thanks

#9 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:36 AM

Hi,

the ndure softmod uses a couple of tricks to protect the softmod.

1. It installs a shadowc. This is a file on the real C or E partition that acts as a disk partition. If a game tries to update the xbox dash, it will update the dash on that shadowc and the softmod will stay intact.

2. You still can boot the xbox with a game in the dvd. In that case, the softmod isn't activated, and the dash can still be modded. To protect against that, the softmod uses a couple of filler files to fill up the c partition. Since there is no more free space on that partition, an attempt to alter the dashboard will fail.

You can disable the shadowc with a file called shadowC_off.bin. You need to ftp it to the E:\NKP11 or to the root of E:\. The contents of the file don't matter. The softmod just checks for it's existence.

The boot order of dashboards depends upon the nkpatcher. That program should be somewhere on the C partition. Mine is in the c:\bios folder. I think I used a hexeditor on that file to locate the dashboard. It is something like \\partition6\dash\default.xbe....

The filler files can be removed on the C partition. They are in the shadowc folder. Don't remove the shadowc.img file which is what the name says.

regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users