• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Braska10

Braska10

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:32 PM

I opened my 360 and when I was testing before I close the case again I noticed that it was running a lot cooler when feeling the temperature of the air that was going out by the fan. Now I decided to leave it like that. When I am not playing I make a cover on it cause of
the dust.

#2 qweewqaz

qweewqaz

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:xbox, world domination
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:27 PM

Temps wont make a difference because in 3 years your box is going to die anyways.

#3 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE(qweewqaz @ Mar 29 2008, 06:03 PM) View Post

Temps wont make a difference because in 3 years your box is going to die anyways.

Are you referring to the 3RLOD or something else? If you can keep the 360 cool enough (just leaving the case off isn't going to do it, but it may help), then the chances of it getting the 3RLOD drop dramatically.

#4 undergrounddlz

undergrounddlz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:47 PM

hm I left my case open for a long time, then I got the dreaded RROD. But fixed it with the fix tutorial where you scrap the X-clamps and just use screws and washers, and use arctic silver 5. I decided to put the case back together.. Looks better, provides protection. Not sure if it makes it any cooler by leaving it open... As for dust, its going to get dusty anyway.

Of course you have risks of ESD and other electrical interference MAYBE.

user preference, but I really dont see any harm doing it, like i said I did it for along time.

Edited by undergrounddlz, 29 March 2008 - 11:47 PM.

#5 tryintomod

tryintomod

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • Interests:Modding
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:57 AM

it actually runs cooler with the case on. I would advise keeping it on. If you were worried about th 3rrod I would have just left the case closed and used your 3yr warranty that they have for that.

#6 Braska10

Braska10

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

Hi, if I make a hole on top of the xbox case and put a fan that works with 230v on the CPU would this help? Can I make somthing for the GPU too?

#7 PezDispenser

PezDispenser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:55 PM

I have no idea about that (although I guess I wouldn't be surprised). mad.gif

t actually runs cooler with the case on. I would advise keeping it on. If you were worried about th 3rrod I would have just left the case closed and used your 3yr warranty that they have for that.

The CPU may very well run cooler w/o the case, but then there is nothing to force the air through the GPU heatsink ---which will probably bring RRoD faster. You'd need to get the DVD drive out of the way and/or put some really good air pressure through that GPU heatsink. (I'd be tempted to do a shroud that forces both 360 fans to draw through it, but that could make the other one too hot.)

Anyway, I guess I'm still a newb here, but I've given this a fair amount of thought & I've got a Thermodynamics class under my belt to back up my thinking. Anyone with more experience, please correct me, if you disagree...

1. Leave the case on
2. if you want it cooler, add fans, and do one of the more serious cooling mods if you like

Personally, I've got PC fans moving 30-50 cfm extra through my 360 now. When the warranty goes out in January, I'm relocating the the DVD, strapping on PC CPU heatsinks --my 360 will probably sound like the Goodyear blimp on take-off (fairly loud). biggrin.gif

#8 anph

anph

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE(qweewqaz @ Mar 29 2008, 05:03 PM) View Post

it won't make a difference because in three years there will be new consoles to mod.

#9 PezDispenser

PezDispenser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:04 PM

it won't make a difference because in three years there will be new consoles to mod.

Dude, that's B.S.

I'm still playing Gcube games, Gboy Advance games, and xbox1 games that have no 360 "patch." As far as I'm concerned, MicroSuck got the idea for most of the "multimedia features" of the 360 from the modding community.

If an emulator ever comes up that has broad support these older games, I may give them up and start only using the 360 or whatever the emulator runs on. I bet that the emulator itself will not be a MS product, though. Do you have any reason to believe their next console will support games from their older ones?? I sure don't. [just look at Windows Vista]

I'm sure the next generation of consoles will support more complex games, better graphic & sound. That only makes it a bit better, in my book. My 360 is only a bit better than my modded xbox1. (I don't play on-line or in HD.) There are xbox1 games with highly enhanced graphics that still look & run better on the xbox1 than launch title 360 games (which apparently, no one's seen fit to patch).

It would take a major leap in game complexity (or major price drop) to make on-line play a compensation for the systems' lacks. Paying the extra premium for 360 games, I sort of understand. Paying the extra premium for 360 hardware --just pisses me off.

Yes, the graphics and "immersion experience" tech are improving all the time. Too bad their implementation in games is so slow to catch up.

It may take a couple years for the xbox3 (or whatever It'll be) to pass a 360 modded to the limit, in utility & quality of the gaming experience. Although, if you're paying $1000 for that next-gen console, $150 per game, maybe you'll get your money's worth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users