• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VioletRed

VioletRed

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 07:29 AM

Hi, ive had my xbox running great for ages, then the other day i decided to try out the mod music playback in avalaunch. i made the nessacary config changed and uploaded some mod files to c:/mod/ and rebooted to see what it was like. to my dismay, the xbox stalled 1/20th of a second after the cube begins to twirl towards the screen. "no worries" i thought, ill just boot from that evox cdrw like last time something went wrong. i began to worry quite a lot more when the cd wouldnt boot. i did notice that if i ejected and inserted the cdrw during when i assume the xbox is performing its POST i could get the ava cube to spin all the way to the screen (which is odd, cause it stopped doing that a few releases ago). ive since pulled apart the xbox and put my pc dvd drive in it, cdrw still wont boot. i decided maybe something on the hdd was causing the trouble (i know its not likely, but by this point i was out of options) so i put in an old unformatted hdd i had sitting about and tried to get evox to boot (i figured if i could get into evox, id flash the bios over with an F: boot one so ava would stop crashing), all im getting from doing that is random error codes between 7 and 9 (hdd errors apparently). so, has anyone got any ideas for what i could try next? i really cant see why on earth it wont boot from the dvd like it has always done before. short of buying an x2pro to muck about with, i cant think of anything else to try.

btw. im using X2 4976 (NOT 4976.02, just to make that bit clear) on a cheapmod modchip

Edited by VioletRed, 12 June 2003 - 07:32 AM.

#2 insertjokehere

insertjokehere

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 03:10 PM

Your BIOS is fine because you are getting past all the post and intro (everything up to and including The Xbox Logo is BIOS alone). You are getting HDD errors because the HD is not locked and has no software on it. You need to lock your hd with configmagic if you want to use the protected MS dash as well. I am lucky and have a Samsung DVD drive so i can boot from allmost any media. You just need to not worry about the BIOS and use something like slayers on any hard drive on there, it can reformat and make the drive bootable again.

#3 VioletRed

VioletRed

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (insertjokehere @ Jun 12 2003, 05:10 PM)
Your BIOS is fine because you are getting past all the post and intro (everything up to and including The Xbox Logo is BIOS alone). You are getting HDD errors because the HD is not locked and has no software on it.

HDD locking has nothing to do with it, even i know that. its an X2 bios and doesnt care that the drive is unlocked. top of that, the main hdd ive been trying to boot is the one I've been using for the past 6 months, it is formatted and full of software.

You need to lock your hd with configmagic if you want to use the protected MS dash as well.

wrong again, ive been able to access the MS dash all along on my unlocked HDD because i dont have a switch on my chip, hence it is always on

You just need to not worry about the BIOS and use something like slayers on any hard drive on there, it can reformat and make the drive bootable again.

I wish it were that simple. if you'd read the post you'd see i know how to make my own boot cd (hence, no slayers for me), but for some reason, the xbox is refusing to go to the dvdrom before the hdd. ive even gone as swaping the drive with one from my pc so i can assure you, its not a reading problem.

thanks for the feedback all the same, but im trying to avoid going the newbie way and losing all my data and save games

#4 smokeingit

smokeingit

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 June 2003 - 05:09 AM

Violetred, dont be cheap and use a DVDR to boot shit. some CDRW will work some times other times it wont. the wonderful thing about the 4976 bios is that if you dont have a DVDrom connected you wont get any error's. 1 question for you. sense your using 4976 bios... does it just tell you in mutli lang. that you have a 7 or a 9 issue? or does it say it in plain english via what hacked bios info.

#5 VioletRed

VioletRed

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 05:51 AM

id love to use a dvdr, except i dont have a dvd burner, plus the cdrw's wont read in the drive i burnt them in, after ive hooked it up to the xbox, so i dont know its gonna change much

i worked out what the hdd errors were, the hdd i was putting in (just to try and get it to boot mind you, not to format or use) was only an old 3gb one (both too small, and apparently begining to fail). I've since tried using the hdd from this pc i type from now, which results in dashboard error 16 (clock not set i think). the error 16 screen appears mangled, with a diagonal line from top right to lower left through it, and nothing appearing below that line.

the errors i get are superfro's err (or is that eer?) ones. the nice informative ones (compared to the retail errors, at least).

i have a theory, that this may be related to the way ava handles (or perhaps doesnt handle) when the bios attempts to make you set your clock. i have a feeling that ava might not do anything when the bios boots it in such a way, which 99% of the time wouldnt cause a problem, since the dash boots fine, but when you combine that with a screwed config you get a temporarilly dead xbox. i think evox may have gotten around this problem for me in the past, since i've had it set to sinc with NTP servers. anyhow, my next thing to try is going to be borrowing the unlocked hdd out of my friends working xbox to go and set my clock, then go back to trying to boot my evox cd. ill keep this updated if anything changes

Edited by VioletRed, 13 June 2003 - 05:52 AM.

#6 bucket61

bucket61

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 11:27 AM

i got it to boot from the dvd drive after i changed the hard drive to master instead of cable select

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users