• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:20 PM

Blu-ray Xbox 360s may sell at a loss, say Taiwan makers
Posted by XanTium | April 2 06:20 EST | News Category: Xbox360

Digitimes.com posted an update to yesterday's rumor about a 360 Blu-ray SKU:

If, as previously reported, Microsoft adopts built-in Blu-ray Disc (BD)-ROM drives for a new version of its Xbox 360, sales prices are likely to be lower than the corresponding production costs since current OEM quotes for BD-ROM drives are as high as US$95-100, according to industry sources in Taiwan.

It is reported that Microsoft plans to offer a new Xbox 360 hardware revision equipped with a BD-ROM drive to compete with Sony's PlayStation 3. Taiwan-based Lite-On IT is said to have been invited to participate in designing the drive.

However, while the US$95-100 quoted for a BD-ROM drive is much higher than US$18-20 quoted for the DVD-ROM drives built into current Xbox 360s, the increase in retail price of the new consoles is unlikely to cover the whole of the OEM price gap, the sources analyzed, meaning Microsoft would be selling the consoles at a loss.

Full Story: digitimes.com

#2 AcidPenguiN

AcidPenguiN

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:07 PM

april fools was yesterday. . . I think you missed the boat.

#3 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE(AcidPenguiN @ Apr 2 2008, 01:43 PM) View Post

april fools was yesterday. . . I think you missed the boat.

LoL yer and I think MS wouldn't want to sell at a loss again, I read somewhere there making $10 a box now.

#4 Hidari_Mak

Hidari_Mak

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE(bucko @ Apr 2 2008, 08:56 AM) View Post

LoL yer and I think MS wouldn't want to sell at a loss again, I read somewhere there making $10 a box now.

It is a close race in Europe though, and the PS3 has started closing the gap in North America as well. With that said, I doubt that the 360 Arcade units, and the others that aren't the most expensive models will change, at least as far as the drive type is concerned. It may be built in to the 360 IVR systems released through regional third parties, as well as a separate model that's above the Elite. And hopefully, as a separate add-on for those who already have 360s, like Microsoft did with the HD-DVD drive.

#5 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

They might have to go with this option, its better to take a small loss, then to let sony or nintendo take a huge gain. The best thing they can do is put out a system with a built in drive and release a bluray addon.

#6 eduardor2k

eduardor2k

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:49 PM

Like I said in the other thread, MS could release a new SKU called, let say 'ultimate' with built in BD player, for 349€ and sell an addón for the same price that was the HD-DVD player, 179€

This way they could have

Arcade: 199€
Premium: 249€
Elite: 299€
Ultimate: 349€

BD Player addon: 179€

With those prices, MS would be selling the xbox 360 whithout a loss, and still getting something in return.

One the price of the OEM BD Player drops enough, they could release all the SKU with built in BD-Player and drop the ultimate SKU.

Only one thing, even if MS sells the xbox at a loss, once you buy 1 or 2 games for your brand new Xbox, MS would be earning something.

#7 sirsmacketh

sirsmacketh

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:55 PM

Let's face it BD-ROM is not going to be that big of a deal for 360 owners. Not to mention if it's going to inflate the price of the 360. I don't think MS is going to want to put a SKU out there that's going to COST them money considering they're just starting to make money on every console sold.

A BD-ROM addon? possibly.

#8 DeMoN_DARREN

DeMoN_DARREN

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:19 PM

It is true though - Blu-Ray is now a MASSIVE selling point. I will be getting a PS3 sometime in the future, mainly for Blu-ray when it takes over from DVD (but that seems a while off in the UK)

#9 Molten Universe

Molten Universe

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE(eduardor2k @ Apr 2 2008, 10:25 PM) View Post

Like I said in the other thread, MS could release a new SKU called, let say 'ultimate' with built in BD player, for 349€ and sell an addón for the same price that was the HD-DVD player, 179€

This way they could have

Arcade: 199€
Premium: 249€
Elite: 299€
Ultimate: 349€

BD Player addon: 179€

With those prices, MS would be selling the xbox 360 whithout a loss, and still getting something in return.

One the price of the OEM BD Player drops enough, they could release all the SKU with built in BD-Player and drop the ultimate SKU.

Only one thing, even if MS sells the xbox at a loss, once you buy 1 or 2 games for your brand new Xbox, MS would be earning something.

I like the way you're thinking, but lets be honest they won't put out ANOTHER separete SKU.. wink.gif

#10 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

Well according to all the HD DVd supporters in previous threads when the war raged on the majority will never support a Blu Ray drive for the 360.
This is also all here say and rumour. Nobody knows the profits or losses involved on an individual unit if there even ever was one.

#11 cyberg4

cyberg4

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:46 PM

makes sense. They probably should make all of the new 360's with blu-ray built in, since now that the format war is over the PS3 has a huge selling point with blu-ray built in. I am tempted to get a PS3 for the blu-ray support, heck even my prof for math mentioned in class how he bought a PS3 because it can play blu-ray movies. I already own a 360 so I kinda would feel a little shafted, so I am hoping for an add on, but having an add on is confusing for customers just wanting a blu-ray player, and having both an add on (for those of us who already have 360s), and it built in on all new 360's would be just plain confusing, so probably just make blu-ray built in on all new 360s.

#12 Antdog24

Antdog24

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:54 PM

It doesn't make sense for MS to sell a 360 with a built in BD-Rom unless they plan on using it for games as well as movies. Otherwise they might as well just sell the blu-ray addon and continue to make a profit on the xbox they are currently selling.

#13 eduardor2k

eduardor2k

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Apr 2 2008, 03:16 PM) View Post

Well according to all the HD DVd supporters in previous threads when the war raged on the majority will never support a Blu Ray drive for the 360.
This is also all here say and rumour. Nobody knows the profits or losses involved on an individual unit if there even ever was one.

We know that all those who said they would never buy a BD player, at the end they'll have to, because one day your favourite movie will be on Blu-Ray only.

Even if it's only a rumor, in my opinion it's the way to go, and about the profits or losses, i think not so long time ago, some 'sources' said they where having a profit on the Xbox SKU's when the price of the Arcade was 279$ - 279€ (cant find the source) and MS xbox division had a profit this year (ok, last year), that means that in overall they are earning something with the xbox (Sku's, accesories and games).

Anyway, whe will never know until MS says it's true (one day before the release).

Edited by eduardor2k, 02 April 2008 - 03:00 PM.

#14 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE(eduardor2k @ Apr 2 2008, 03:32 PM) View Post

We know that all those who said the would never buy a BD player, at the end they'll have to, because one day your favourite movie will be on Blu-Ray only.

Even if this is only a rumor, in my opinion it's the way to go,

I agree they should do it. I also think they should do it both ways (add on and integral). I have 2 360s but would trade one for a BR enabled machine. I would not however buy the add on.

Note: Your new signature image is too big . Could you edit it please.

#15 1nsan3

1nsan3

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Location:United States Of This is not a free country no more
  • Interests:Banging The Govt
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:11 PM

You will have 2 different systems out there with MILLIONS of these that already play only dual layer dvds.. then you want to release a 360 that ONLY plays blue-ray discs...

There going to have fun with this one.. they will have no choice but to sell it cheap and take a loss...
You deserve to take a loss for this one M$... way to think ahead... thats what ya get for not thinking... and trying to beat the ps3 onto the shelf.... it was only obviouse that a blue ray disc can hold more.. and graphics wise there isnt TOO much of a difference... but with a disc that can hold twice as much .. that would of been MY first choice when designing a game counsole... thinking about the developers and how much maps..characters levels etc can be put on the disc.

ohwell... m$ screws up once again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users