johnnycab13

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:46 PM

I have a box with BenQ, which is less than a month old. I am currently reading a lot of tutorials, posts and searching a lot to get ready and mod it. In the meantime, I am sorting out my shopping list and have all the other bits and only thing missing is the Pioneer. As listed below I have all the other bits to get myself going, but need help with the following:

Pioneer: The 111/112/212 are now quite hard to find and have been replaced with the 115/215 range. I already own a DL burner: Sony DRX-710UL (BY02 firmware) which has conflicting views in terms of being a good burner for backups - if anybody can advise me on that. Although, it is a great drive and I am going to give it a go first to see if it works - but not holding out any great hopes.

However, I don't particularly want to take any chances and willing to buy a Pioneer - just to know for sure that I will get good results. Please can anybody tell me if the 115 (IDE)/215 (SATA) are similar to the previous range when it comes to burning backups. Any major differences in terms of performance between the the two i.e. 115 or 215? The new firmware is available and at v1.18 as of 23/1/08. Anybody out there using these and getting similar results to the other drives?

Any help advice would be most welcome!

My list:
    Xbox Opening Tool
    VIA 6421 SATA Card
    VIA latest drivers: Version - 5.70A

1GB USB Stick
    iPrep_101-006
    Dosflash 1.4beta
    iXtreme 1.41
    360FW-Toolbox-46

Verbatim MKM001 2.4x DL disks (Singapore)

Samsung SH-162D Drive
    SH-162D Kreon 1.00 Firmware
    Sfndwin
    Xbox_Backup_Creator_v2.8.0.275
    XDVDMulleterBeta10.2
    Schtrom360Xtract_V3.4

Textbook2008.pdf

Please check my list and confirm that I am on the right track.
Thanks

#2 justicedreadz

justicedreadz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:29 PM

You can buy a Pioneer 112 at frys.com for 40.00 and it comes with a 20.00 rebate. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and it works great. I just so happen to have a Frys in my city. Lucky me.

#3 johnnycab13

johnnycab13

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(justicedreadz @ Apr 2 2008, 03:05 PM) View Post

You can buy a Pioneer 112 at frys.com for 40.00 and it comes with a 20.00 rebate. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and it works great. I just so happen to have a Frys in my city. Lucky me.

Thanks - I am in the UK and all the 112/212 drives are unavailable at usual places and sold out. Although, I order a lot of stuff from the states - this might work out more expensive as frys send by DHL. I don't particularly want to go the ebay route just yet, if the 115/215 drive is the same then I will most probably buy that...

#4 podger

podger

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:49 PM

You can get a DVR-115D from svp.co.uk for 17.25 along with all the Verbs you'll ever need.... But your Sony should work just fine as long as it DL and supports bit setting.... The only reason the 111 was recommended at the time was coz it was one of the only ones that support bittsetting and it's a very good drive...

Also try to use a smaller usb stick, ones over 512mb can cause problems....

You get the 162D from dabs.co.uk for 12.71, they say they're a 162C but they're a 162D, I know coz I bought 5 of 'em, felt hard done by and then Kreon released the new firmware the next day, legend....

Edited by podger, 02 April 2008 - 02:56 PM.

#5 johnnycab13

johnnycab13

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(podger @ Apr 2 2008, 03:25 PM) View Post

You can get a DVR-115D from svp.co.uk for 17.25 along with all the Verbs you'll ever need.... But your Sony should work just fine as long as it DL and supports bit setting.... The only reason the 111 was recommended at the time was coz it was one of the only ones that support bittsetting and it's a very good drive...

Also try to use a smaller usb stick, ones over 512mb can cause problems....

You get the 162D from dabs.co.uk for 12.71, they say they're a 162C but they're a 162D, I know coz I bought 5 of 'em, felt hard done by and then Kreon released the new firmware the next day, legend....

Podger - thanks. Incidentally, I ordered the verbs from SVP only this morning - never checked for the Pioneer drive!!!

I ordered the Samsung 162C from Dabs last week (lying, cheating fcking bastards!) the drive is a 162D - they are still showing them in stock as 162C's !!!!! I am seriously considering reporting them to Trading Standards - as I have all the emails and chat records that they confirmed that I will receive a 162C!!

EDIT: I have read that anything over 512MB on a USB stick can cause problems - I only have a 32MB stick other than the gig, can I use that?

Edited by johnnycab13, 02 April 2008 - 03:26 PM.

#6 didineedthis

didineedthis

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

PIONEER 212BK

http://www.nextag.co...z0--search-html

DIDINEEDTHIS

#7 johnnycab13

johnnycab13

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(didineedthis @ Apr 2 2008, 04:10 PM) View Post

PIONEER 212BK

http://www.nextag.co...z0--search-html

DIDINEEDTHIS

Thanks - I just checked this and never bought from Microwarehouse other than receive their catalogue for the last 10years or so. So what is the verdict; any difference between 212 or 215? If there is I will go ahead and get this or get the 115/215 from either SVP (if they let me amend my order) or from ebuyer. But, not going back to the thieves i.e. Dabs!!!!

Edited by johnnycab13, 02 April 2008 - 03:42 PM.

#8 cory1492

cory1492

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:53 PM

The apparent main difference between the *12 and *15 is that the *15 line is newer and will see updates longer than the *12 line (as far as I know the 112/212's update cycle has already ended, so any *12 stock in stores at this point is something along the lines of manufacture overage.)

I do have a 212D (and it's a great drive so long as I don't expect it to deal with CDR at all), but if I could have I would have gotten the 215 instead (it wasn't out at the time) for the simple fact that it's nice to be able to get updates which support new media or correct errors in old firmwares for longer, while getting hardware that (while it may also be a cost reduction re-design) may have had some serious errors removed from the hardware design (like the CDR compatibility issues I've had with this one, if it had been more than CDR and the drive hadn't cost me only 34USD I would have taken up Pio's offer to RMA it and get a replacement.)

Edited by cory1492, 02 April 2008 - 04:56 PM.

#9 I Bac0n I

I Bac0n I

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:23 PM

32MB is plenty space to flash the drive. Hell even a floppy has enough space. As long ans you can boot to it you should be fine. And the 162D is the same as the 162C The 162 refers to the hardware version, and the letter at then end refers to the firmware version. Its just a newer revision and there is nothing wrong with it. I use one personally and it read the games just fine. Any of those poineer drives will work, they are from the same "family" and basically share the same firmware/hardware.

You can get a 6421 card on ebay for $15USD shipped.

#10 swampy1111

swampy1111

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:34 PM

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139417 pioneer 115 ide drives there for 16.64

#11 johnnycab13

johnnycab13

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE(cory1492 @ Apr 2 2008, 05:29 PM) View Post

The apparent main difference between the *12 and *15 is that the *15 line is newer and will see updates longer than the *12 line (as far as I know the 112/212's update cycle has already ended, so any *12 stock in stores at this point is something along the lines of manufacture overage.)

I do have a 212D (and it's a great drive so long as I don't expect it to deal with CDR at all), but if I could have I would have gotten the 215 instead (it wasn't out at the time) for the simple fact that it's nice to be able to get updates which support new media or correct errors in old firmwares for longer, while getting hardware that (while it may also be a cost reduction re-design) may have had some serious errors removed from the hardware design (like the CDR compatibility issues I've had with this one, if it had been more than CDR and the drive hadn't cost me only 34USD I would have taken up Pio's offer to RMA it and get a replacement.)

Thanks, you have convinced me. I am now going to go for the 215, common logic dictated the same to me - but wanted to know if it has no problems burning backups.

QUOTE(I Bac0n I @ Apr 2 2008, 05:59 PM) View Post

32MB is plenty space to flash the drive. Hell even a floppy has enough space. As long ans you can boot to it you should be fine. And the 162D is the same as the 162C The 162 refers to the hardware version, and the letter at then end refers to the firmware version. Its just a newer revision and there is nothing wrong with it. I use one personally and it read the games just fine. Any of those poineer drives will work, they are from the same "family" and basically share the same firmware/hardware.

You can get a 6421 card on ebay for $15USD shipped.

It is good to know that I don't have to go looking for another USB drive! I made an error in my post the other drive is 64MB and not 32MB - either ways looks like I am good to go! I did get the VIA 6421A from ebay, it was almost the same price as you quoted - 7! However, i am still waiting for it to turn up!

QUOTE(swampy1111 @ Apr 2 2008, 06:10 PM) View Post

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139417 pioneer 115 ide drives there for 16.64

I did find the 212 from DIDINEEDTHIS's link from Play. Since, SVP have already shipped my order - man, they are quick! It looks like this is the one I am going for (ebuyer) - although the SATA version, which is slightly dearer. I assume it will work off the external SATA port on the VIA 6421 card I am getting? I already have an external power supply with a molex connector.

So, only things that are not either in transit or ordered is the Pioneer drive....

#12 podger

podger

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(johnnycab13 @ Apr 2 2008, 01:58 PM) View Post

I ordered the Samsung 162C from Dabs last week (lying, cheating fcking bastards!) the drive is a 162D - they are still showing them in stock as 162C's !!!!! I am seriously considering reporting them to Trading Standards - as I have all the emails and chat records that they confirmed that I will receive a 162C!!

Cool the jets, like I said the firmware for the 162D is available... the 162D is probably a better drive anyway, imagine how pissed off you'd be if you bought 5 and the firmware wasn't available yet ( like me, mind you, I only had to wait a day ) wink.gif

#13 johnnycab13

johnnycab13

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE(podger @ Apr 2 2008, 07:39 PM) View Post

Cool the jets, like I said the firmware for the 162D is available... the 162D is probably a better drive anyway, imagine how pissed off you'd be if you bought 5 and the firmware wasn't available yet ( like me, mind you, I only had to wait a day ) wink.gif

Yeah I know the firmware is available and I got it too, that is why I am not making too much noise wink.gif However, I am not happy about the fact that they still lied to me despite me asking them again and again to make sure that I got the drive listed on their site; as I had a feeling they did not have them, after reading the review on the previous discontinued one. I also asked them about the review, which mentioned that the guy got a different drive to what he ordered - they replied back and said that it was probably a 'mis-ship' - yeah right! Also, now they have removed that review from the item!

I was pretty surprised to find the 162C in the first place and could very easily have got something completely different and unmoddable - just like you did at the time. I don't think I will ordering from them again in a hurry. They also put the price of the drive up by a quid just before I ordered, I know it is not a lot - but I don't like the way they do business, especially when there are other people selling same stuff for similar prices. Also if I got 5 of the wrong drives - I would have been livid!

#14 Thundercleese

Thundercleese

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:37 AM

Thought id just mention that i bought a pioneer 111d brand new off ebay a couple of months ago, i had no trouble finding one. It was from the UK. I also got a samsung 162D brand new , Ive never had any trouble ripping with the 162D. I also grab 20-stacks of singapore verbs pretty cheap with combined postage discount from the USA.

I dont know if the newer models are better but ive only ever had one bad 360 burn, some sense error or something at around 90%. I think it was the disc because its never happened since, I now have about 38 working backups.

Also if you have trouble with your usb iprep method, I recommend just booting into windows with your benq connected with via sata 6421, make sure windows detects it in device manager (if not maybe plugged into wrong port on via6421) , then use dosflash32 to read a backup firmware and if successful select your firmware and click flash. No need to use dos at all, no USB thumbdrive needed. The dosflash32 is with the dosflash16 you would have to download for the iprep anyways.

Two minutes in a point and click windows GUI>>>>>>>>>>>Hours of frustration/cursing/rebooting with iprep. Just my opinion, good luck.

Edited by Thundercleese, 03 April 2008 - 12:52 AM.

#15 johnnycab13

johnnycab13

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(Thundercleese @ Apr 3 2008, 01:13 AM) View Post

Thought id just mention that i bought a pioneer 111d brand new off ebay a couple of months ago, i had no trouble finding one. It was from the UK. I also got a samsung 162D brand new , Ive never had any trouble ripping with the 162D. I also grab 20-stacks of singapore verbs pretty cheap with combined postage discount from the USA.

I dont know if the newer models are better but ive only ever had one bad 360 burn, some sense error or something at around 90%. I think it was the disc because its never happened since, I now have about 38 working backups.

Also if you have trouble with your usb iprep method, I recommend just booting into windows with your benq connected with via sata 6421, make sure windows detects it in device manager (if not maybe plugged into wrong port on via6421) , then use dosflash32 to read a backup firmware and if successful select your firmware and click flash. No need to use dos at all, no USB thumbdrive needed. The dosflash32 is with the dosflash16 you would have to download for the iprep anyways.

Two minutes in a point and click windows GUI>>>>>>>>>>>Hours of frustration/cursing/rebooting with iprep. Just my opinion, good luck.

Thanks - I have almost all my toolkit ready now. I just prepared the 64MB USB stick, without the 6421 card as it still has not arrived; iPrep recognised the onboard chipset on my PC after I switched to IDE Based controllers. I am going to boot of it later, just to have everything ready.

The Verbs arrived this morning - pretty pricey at 1.50 a disc! I would be grateful if you can share your US source - as I can see buying a few more of the Singapore made discs. Although my Sony burner recognises the DL disks - I don't know where to look for the bitsetting!? I fired up DVDInfoPro to check but could not see it anywhere. I am in two minds now - to either go for the new Pio or wait until everthing is done and waste a disc on the Sony - to find out if it works!

I have found a lot of sources for the Pio, thanks to everyone here! I would most probably go for the SATA version, as the IDE port is already taken up by the Samsung. I assume/hope that hooking it up via the external SATA port on 6421 would not pose too many problems. Also, looking at the back of the drive, it does not seem to need any other power source? (even though I have an external power supply with molex, if there is a need for it).

Pioneer DVR-215D Review:
http://www.cdrinfo.c...ArticleId=22642

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users