XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:07 AM

Brought to you by member madmab and myself, a new update has been sent to be put up "in the usual place" for mednafenx-nes v9 with correct palette and bug fix.

What's new/fixed:

This is a recompiled version of the latest mednafenx with a correction to a typo in the last release that disabled the ability to load custom pallettes. Replace the default.xbe file inside the file with your current one.

This version of mednafenx also includes the correct nes color palette. (this is enbled by default) You can always autogenerate your own palette or load your own palette,
Included in this release is the rgb palette. These are colors that can be output by a modded nes. Simply make a folder named palettes inside your rom directory and place this palette file inside the folder. Hit x when loading a game to bring up the options and you will now see the custom palette option which went missing after mednafenx-nes v7.

Keep checking the usual place as it is due to be up any time now. If you would like to see some screenshot comparisons check the thread (possible accurate nes palette fix) in xport projects on page 5. Thanks goes out to Cospefogo for doing some pre-release testing and providing the screens. Thanks also to Xport for releasing the source and giving us his best work to work with.

ENJOY!!

XX_73

Edited by XTecuterX73, 09 April 2008 - 01:15 AM.

#2 XTecuterX73

XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:34 AM

Here is an example of what you can expect in this build:

Super Mario Bros
NEW PALETTE

IPB Image

Super Mario Bros
OLD PALETTE

IPB Image

Super Mario Bros
RGB PALETTE

IPB Image

Thanks to cospefogo for the screens.

Edited by XTecuterX73, 09 April 2008 - 02:35 AM.

#3 DZIAD

DZIAD

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:55 PM

Thank you !

#4 Barbie_on_Weed

Barbie_on_Weed

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:15 PM

Many thanks! smile.gif Is this the last version, or are you going to update it later on with new stuff?

#5 annell

annell

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:13 PM

Thank you for the news! cool.gif

#6 XTecuterX73

XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(Barbie_on_Weed @ Apr 9 2008, 11:51 AM) View Post

Many thanks! smile.gif Is this the last version, or are you going to update it later on with new stuff?

Yes there are some small things planned. Me and madmab collectively put our heads together to make a fix for the palette option and have the actual correct nes colors without having to load any external palettes. I ripped the palette basically straight out of an nes or so to speak. The bits were shifted to the left in the original palette which gave mednafenx-nes a lighter color, hence the blue sky in the old palette picture and now the correct purplish blue sky in this build. This goes back to the coders of mednafen, so me and madmab can only guess that it was some kind of experiment or something?? This release however is the actual correct colors. Madmab deserves a good bit of thanks and credit as he compiled this new palette i sent him into mednafenx. So this is kinda a co-release, but this would def not had been done if he had not compiled the new palette.

This is but one step closer to the real thing and as you can see in the screens it DOES make a difference, some games it's real subtle and in some it's night and day. I hope you guys enjoy it! Please feel free to post feedback here as well, we'd love to know what you guys think of it.

As far as small updates, i am working on looking at the code to see if it can be optimized to free up extra ram, i am also in the process of learning about coding and adding mappers as well, but have to be careful because adding mappers can tweak the emulator and break the timing of other games.Down the road There could be a few other suprises as well. wink.gif

Many thanks again to xport, who doesn't even know it but has given me the motivation to pick up what he has left and try to keep it going for a while. And of course all this would not had been possible if he had not released the source. smile.gif

XX_73

#7 lawdawg0931

lawdawg0931

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:36 PM

Any word on this, it's still not showing up in the Usual Place? Or am I just being impatient? biggrin.gif

#8 XTecuterX73

XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE(lawdawg0931 @ Apr 9 2008, 03:12 PM) View Post

Any word on this, it's still not showing up in the Usual Place? Or am I just being impatient? biggrin.gif

Send me a pm and we will take care of it. smile.gif

XX_73

#9 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:33 AM

Nice job man. Glad madmab could help you out and that you're up and running now. Sorry I couldnt' help out. I'm obsessed with this mame thing right now. I'll have to try it out when I get a chance.

One thing I'd like to see is the ability to "idiot proof" all of XPorts emulators. For somebody like us who knows what they're doing, it's great having all of those options, but it would be great if there was a single (hard to accidentally press) button combo that would make it so the only options somebody has were to choose a game or to choose a game by favorites (Maybe a few other useful ones too), effectivley ending about 90% of the questions I get from friends/family who have botched their rigs by just pressing random buttons when they go somewhere they shouldn't be in the emulator.

That, my friend, would be an awesome addition to v10.

Keep up the good work. I wish I was able to get such a great fix to a build out in such a short time, but my work in MAME has cost me about 200 hours so far and I'm only 1/4 done at best. Nice to see others trying to pick up the torch.

Regards,
~Rx

Edited by ressurectionx, 10 April 2008 - 04:33 AM.

#10 XTecuterX73

XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:13 AM

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Apr 10 2008, 12:09 AM) View Post

Nice job man. Glad madmab could help you out and that you're up and running now. Sorry I couldnt' help out. I'm obsessed with this mame thing right now. I'll have to try it out when I get a chance.

One thing I'd like to see is the ability to "idiot proof" all of XPorts emulators. For somebody like us who knows what they're doing, it's great having all of those options, but it would be great if there was a single (hard to accidentally press) button combo that would make it so the only options somebody has were to choose a game or to choose a game by favorites (Maybe a few other useful ones too), effectivley ending about 90% of the questions I get from friends/family who have botched their rigs by just pressing random buttons when they go somewhere they shouldn't be in the emulator.

That, my friend, would be an awesome addition to v10.

Keep up the good work. I wish I was able to get such a great fix to a build out in such a short time, but my work in MAME has cost me about 200 hours so far and I'm only 1/4 done at best. Nice to see others trying to pick up the torch.

Regards,
~Rx

thanks rx! yea it's been fun getting this off and running and no worries about the help part, you helped me out alot too bro and i do appreciate it man, i can't wait to see your final build. im looking forward to it. You have devoted alot of time and care to the mame project and we all appreciate it and can't wait to see it.

This release is pretty decent, madmab's help was invaluable, without him this would still be just an idea "dead in the water". It should be up on xbins by now. Yea that is actually one thing i am looking into doing is having a one touch one go version of mednafenx-nes for people who just want to plug n play and not worry about configuring anything (having things like 10x11 pixel ratio, and other options already configured for each game) or accidentally ending up somewhere that they didnt mean to get into. As for now this release is awesome in itself. I do hope you guys enjoy it.

It's good to hear from you and i hope it all comes together for you. I still would like to work with you in the future bro and do some small projects and such. biggrin.gif

I'm hoping to hear some feedback on here from members who get this release so i can see how they like it.

XX_73

Edited by XTecuterX73, 10 April 2008 - 05:17 AM.

#11 DizzyC64

DizzyC64

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:54 PM

hi,
just a quick possible bug shout, can't get rewind to work on ya V9 both via rewind buttion & auto start.
Only a miner nag otherwise good work dudes.

#12 XTecuterX73

XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE(DizzyC64 @ Apr 10 2008, 11:30 AM) View Post

hi,
just a quick possible bug shout, can't get rewind to work on ya V9 both via rewind buttion & auto start.
Only a miner nag otherwise good work dudes.

Hey Dizzy, Are you using the new version just released or xport's last release version 9? I haven't been able to check xbins yet but i don't think that the new release is up yet. The person i sent the build to has not signed on in days now. If someone on here knows someone i can send the build to get it up quicker let me know.

If it is up on xbins please let me know, it should be dubbed mednafenx-nesv9_fixed.

XX_73

#13 DizzyC64

DizzyC64

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:39 PM

Sorry being a bit dumb I just thought you was on about the V9 in xbins at the mo, probably is the older version
and not the fix V9, I'm on about ignore me happy.gif

#14 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:58 PM

Hey.... you're already talkin to him. X is the man cool.gif

He's just learning too, but if you got ideas for XPort emus, maybe he'd like to try his hand at it.

I think as long as there is interest, there will be people who want to code.

Edited by ressurectionx, 10 April 2008 - 04:59 PM.

#15 Maturion

Maturion

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:05 PM

Awesome, the first release this year. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users