31 replies to this topic

#1 pmikota

pmikota

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:10 PM

Alright,

Like many others I am having problems with my first softmod.

My Xbox has Kernel 5838 with dash 5960.

Here was my first attempt.

I booted into Xboxhdm, then loaded xbrowser with no problems. I could see my xbox directory structure fine. I ran the Ndure script and backed up the Xbox, and then did option 1. It didn't go smooth. I was getting tons of errors which I didn't pay attention two. When I rebooted, I got just a black screen.. No dash or error message.

I ran Halo 2 (new addition) to try to load back the dashboard... When I rebooted the actual Xbox again, I received error 13.

So I went back into Ndure to try to do the whole process again.... (mistake #1... I created another backup of the mess instead of recovering... stupid me )... This time I wrote down all the errors.

- Xbox Dash Not Found
- read error input/output error (tons of these)
- cannot create directory etc etc
- hard disk is full

So my next guess was that I never had my Xbox properly hotswapped ie.. not unlocked... (what I have been doing is hotswapping during Halo 2 startup) When I went back into Xboxhdm for the third time and looked at my xbox directory structure under C, I saw two shadowc directories and duplicates of others.
So it looks like files and directories were copied there.

I'm so confused and I have no idea what to do next.

I have checked and made sure I had SMART off and Autodetect off in the BIOS.

Please.. Any advice would be great!!!!

#2 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:12 AM

you should use Ndure 3.1.. it fixes some scripting problems..

#3 pmikota

pmikota

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:53 PM

Actually I did just that.

Created another boot disk with Ndure 3.1

When I use this and run the script, I get the error....

Cannot mount /dev/hda51. Device is busy or not in user... something like that right away.

#4 pmikota

pmikota

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:15 PM

Before I even run the script, it seems I cannot do anything on the harddrive through Xboxhdm.. Getting a system read only message when I try to do even a simple "Make Directory" command.

Does this indicate the drive is still locked?

Or is it simple a problem with my BIOS?

#5 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:08 AM

if you can see the drive contents under xboxhdm then its not lcoked.. if xboxhdm does not work, then you can try xplorer 360 and directly copy the softmod files in the xbox using windows.

#6 pmikota

pmikota

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:29 PM

I did just that...

But Xplorer360 crashes on me here and there.. and also there seems to be other problems to top it off.

I'm leaning to an actual problem with the HD itself now. I wish I had another computer to rule that out.

Does anyone know an easy way for me to backup my eeprom.bin file? In case I need to install everything on another drive?

Kingroach... you have been excellent help so far.

#7 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:59 PM

Hi,

if your harddisk is defective, you have 2 options to get your eeprom.bin.

1. Temporary install a modchip.
2. Build an eeprom reader.

http://forums.afterd...view.cfm/357863

regards.

#8 pmikota

pmikota

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:23 PM

That device looks easy and fun to build...

I'm going to give that a try and at least save my eeprom.bin file.

That way i'll have the option to completely rebuild my xbox drive.

#9 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:12 AM

Hi,

yes, with the eeprom.bin, you can create a new harddisk with xboxhdm and kingroach ndure 3.1.
You can extract the original M$dash files from a slayers rescue iso. I use the qwix program for that.

Just a couple of remarks about that eeprom reader.

1. On some computer serial ports, it simply doesn't work due to to the fact that the voltage levels are not 100% rs232 compatible. Trying it out with another computer is the solution here.

2. If you connect the reader and switch the xbox on, it will frag. On a 1.0 to 1.5 xbox, you can simply wait until the frag finishes and read the eeprom after the frag. A 1.6 xbox switches itself off after the frag. A solution for this is connecting the reader to the pc after the xbox booted. (into it's error screen or whatever)
You might connect the pc case to the xbox shielding to avoid ground loops when you plug in the rs232 connector.

3. The author of the reader uses 5V or 5V6 zener diodes. The xbox eeprom has a 3V3 supply. So, in my opinion, it might be better to use 3V3 zener diodes. The specifications say that the voltage on a pin of the chip should not exceed the supply voltage by more than 0.6V. Maybe in a 1.6 xbox the chip has a 5V supply?

don't get alarmed by all this. It might just work fine from the first shot. It are just a couple of warnings in case off....

regards.

#10 pmikota

pmikota

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:06 PM

Thanks

On this particular quote:

""You can extract the original M$dash files from a slayers rescue iso. I use the qwix program for that.""

Do you have any good links on a "How-To" for that topic?

... and for other readers out there....

I suspect a bad HD because my "Partition 4" disappeared within Xplorer360... I have seen others have a similar problem and no one seems to know why...

Plus there are folders that I cannot simply delete within C drive or Partition 3 ... Xplorer360 simple crashes

#11 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

Hi,

your drive partitions could be corrupt. It is not sure that the drive is mechanical defective.

If you have a way to unlock your drive, you could look for a diagnostic tool and see what it reports about the drive. Most manufacturers have a tool you can download for free.

I don't know about a detailed tutorial, since it is rather simple.

1. Get the Slayers iso file
2. Get the Qwix program

3. start the Qwix program. Ignore the warning. Click on Extract Iso in the upper right and choose the Slayers iso. Choose a destination folder and let the program run.

In the folder, you will find a number of subfolders. One of those contains all the stock M$dash files that you need on your C partition, another one cotains those files for your E partition.

If you don't know what files you are looking for, google for the xbox linux group. They have the partition contents of a stock drive listed.

regards.

#12 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:40 AM

after you hotswap with xboxhdm, can you go to the xbox hard drive creation tools by typing "XBOXHD" ( instead of xbrowser).. if so, then maybe you can recreate the hard drive from scratch is its a partition error..

#13 pmikota

pmikota

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:19 PM

So I have used Slayers and Qwix.... Copied the files C and E drive and created another boot disk with xboxhdm.

When I run option 1 to rebuild the drive, nothing seems to happen. The screen says
CODE
Building an Xbox HD from scratch is a two step
procedure. First the partition table is built.
Then the partitions are formated.
We will now search /dev/hda for an Xbox partition table...

no xbox-partition table found on /dev/hda

drive is not locked but locking is enabled
Don't reboot until you have built a working xbox HDD
since rebooting will relock the drive
Press any key to abort the operation...

with a blinking cursor. It just sits ther forever. Any ideas?

#14 pmikota

pmikota

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:17 PM

It seems I found a solution for a corrupted Xbox harddrive.

I do think hotswapping caused this problem right from the start.... Or the original HD had some bad sectors on it.... I did end up getting help from someone at Seagate as well believe it or not.

Basically the logical information that houses the partition information was or became corrupted.

Here is what I did to fix the harddrive.

I hotswapped the drive and ran xboxhdm and wiped the partition information using the command xboxhd.
I then rebooted the PC to windows (power was still on Xbox so the harddrive is on the entire time as to keep it unlocked) and ran the nifty program HDprepar. This wrote zero's on the sectors and cleaned up the corruption problem I was having... It also re-partitioned the hard-drive.

Now reboot the PC again and run Xboxhdm. This time run xboxhd and do option 1... Voila... It works... Contents from the CD are copied onto the C and E partitions from Slayers.

It also seems that all the tools are working properly now.

I was having all sorts of problems from Xplorer360 to Xboxhdm, to softmodding... you name it... And the whole time it was some small corrupted clusters on the drive.

The person at Seagate says this is possible even on brand new harddrvies and maybe wasn't caught because Microsoft does imaging for Xbox. So its possible I had harddrive problems even before hotswapping.

Anyways.. Hopefully this will help some people out there that have no idea why nothing is working out like I did.

Ok... So the drive is working fine.. I can do changes to it with no problems now...

Only one small problem... I am back to my original problem with Ndure.

When I turn on the Xbox ... I just get a black screen. No error codes or nothing. This is only when I install Ndure.

I also tried Xplorer360 to install the files and directories needed for Ndure (incase there was a problem with the script within Xboxhdm) ... still black screen...

The ONLY step I did not do is copy the eeprom.bin file into the Xboxhdm boot disk.... Could this be it ????
I am using the original hard drive with the Xbox..

Edited by pmikota, 29 April 2008 - 04:31 PM.

#15 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

make sure you selected correct font or use the generic font.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users