PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:00 AM

Kojima Disappointed With Metal Gear Solid 4
Posted by XanTium | 19-4-2008 0:00 EST

From kotaku.com:

The latest issue of the UK's Edge magazine contains an interview with Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, who expresses disappointment with the latest game in the series, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. It isn't so much the gameplay itself as it is the graphics.

"Game-wise, it's pretty close to the original vision: you sneak into the battlefield and can choose whether to do a stealth game or interfere with the battle more directly. But the graphic, side things like motion-blending and the size of the map, totally was not accomplished to my original vision - to my satisfaction."

"I remember saying three years ago that we wanted to create something revolutionary, but in reality we couldn't really do that because of the CPU. We're using the Cell engine to its limit., actually. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the PS3 machine, it's just that we weren't really aware of what the full-spec PS3 offered - we were creating something we couldn't entirely see."

Full Story: kotaku.com

#2 BottleB

BottleB

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:01 AM

Hmph...wasn[t expecting that blink.gif

#3 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:51 AM

hmm... I wonder how he got the impression that the Cell is more powerful than it actually is?

... the mind boggles! ohmy.gif

</scarcasm>

#4 lmaolmao

lmaolmao

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:35 PM

he's certainly not a media spin doctor is he!

actually, it's nice to hear something honest. and i don't think theres a machine out there that can handle any of Kojimas visions entirely.

Peter Molyneux and Will Wright are other ones who are perfectionists and have an unattainable vision. I think its the striving for the unattainable that makes their games the stand out ones, either because you love or hate them.

#5 wassco

wassco

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:52 PM

I still think its gonna be decent regardless of his thoughts on the matter!

but it is interesting to hear what he has to say about his own creation... i for one still think its gonna be a good game, regardless!

#6 Digital_sin

Digital_sin

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:05 PM

Hideo Kojima tells it like it is. The guy is selling his own game short before it's even out! You gotta respect that kind of honesty. But really; What did Kojima need to deliver his original vision for the game?! A freakin' main frame super computer!

If "The Matrix" ever comes true and we all can "Jack ourselves" into the Matrix, I'm pretty sure Kojima would still say that It wasn't powerfull and real enough. Metal Gear Solid 5 is actually going to be a boxed package that includes a real gun, a silencer and a walkie talkie (codec) that you use to communicate directly with Kojima and get instructed to kill your girlfriend and your own twin brother, then break out of jail when they catch you using only a ketchup bottle (not included in the package). I think only then would Mr. Kojima be satisfied with the reality of his vision.

#7 mlmadmax

mlmadmax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

Wow that is pretty amazing he can bash the game like that and not get fired. So after being pushed back dam near a year it still isn't up to par??

I also don't get why he could't make the levels huge, isn't that just mostly space on the disk?

O well it's not like sony cares anymore, they won blu-ray and that is what matters to them.

#8 Elemino

Elemino

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE(mlmadmax @ Apr 19 2008, 12:22 PM) View Post
O well it's not like sony cares anymore, they won blu-ray and that is what matters to them.
No kidding. dry.gif

Sounds to me like he doesn't know how to make his games run effeciently... at least that's what a programmer I know would say. If this game uses the system to it's fullest potential I hope it looks better than the awe inspiring CoD4 (does on the 360... I don't have the PS3 version). If it doesn't maybe he needs better programmers.

Edited by Elemino, 20 April 2008 - 03:39 AM.

#9 petercuello

petercuello

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:56 AM

He could have seen this coming from way back... all he was basing was how powerful the cell processor was, if you ask me, he was selling the ps3 more than he was selling MGS4. Ha Ha the jokes on you, make a 360 version maybe the programmers could do a better job on this machine.

#10 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE(mlmadmax @ Apr 19 2008, 02:22 PM) View Post

...I also don't get why he could't make the levels huge, isn't that just mostly space on the disk?...

Big levels has almost NOTHING to do with disc space and everything to do with how much system memory the console has as well as disc transfer speeds and available cache.

In the grand scheme of what's on the disc a "big level" will rarely take up more than a few hundred MB of disc space (yes that's with graphical models and textures supporting HD)... what makes or breaks the ability of the console is if the hardware can handle all of the level data at once and load new areas of that level at a fast enough speed to keep up with the gameplay as the player progresses through it.

you could have the biggest disk in the world but if you've got slow disc seek and transfer speeds and only a small amount of system memory then you'll be very much limited in the size of the levels you're able to create.

Think about it, If the level is say 900MB (which is substantially bigger than any level I've ever seen) and you've got 256MB of system memory, lets say 100MB of which is dedicated to supporting system tasks/the sound effects you hear no matter where you are and the graphical models for the enemies/vehicles/etc. that leaves 150ish for the level meaning that the console can only have 1/6th of the level loaded into memory at one time.

as you approach the boundary of that 1/6th the console needs to transfer the next section of the level off of the disc before you get there, otherwise the game will lock up while the next area loads. (if you've played half-life 2 you know what this is like)

If the disc seek and transfer times are too slow this becomes an impossibility because the console wont be able to load the next section fast enough, If you had more ram you would have to do this less frequently, since you could hold more of the level at one time. Having a hard drive to cache to helps as well since the game could predict where you were heading and start transferring some of that to the hard drive before you got there to make it a little quicker, but in general that's a poor substitute for memory unless it can afford to load the entire level to ram, but then you'd be dealing with load times several minutes long at the start of the level (assuming the disc transfer speed was bad enough to warrant that).

Large amounts of disc space is generally useless for a game unless you can access that data quickly and have places to put it once you've accessed it.

Edited by twistedsymphony, 20 April 2008 - 07:51 AM.

#11 mlmadmax

mlmadmax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for the info twisted, i guess your explanation covers why i have to load five gigs of crap on the PS3 hardrive the first time I want to play a game.

#12 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE(mlmadmax @ Apr 20 2008, 09:12 AM) View Post

Thanks for the info twisted, i guess your explanation covers why i have to load five gigs of crap on the PS3 hardrive the first time I want to play a game.

You're exaggerating again. You sound so pissed off with your PS3 that I am not sure why you keep it.
A lot of games give you an option of loading data to the HDD. Lots don't load any on.
DMC 4 was the biggest I have had.
The load on is no big deal. It's a one time hit and the longest I have had took around 4 to 5 minutes.
In game play load times are not any different from the 360 from practical experience with the titles I have for both (Yes I am a sad old dickhead buying the same thing for both consoles0
I repeat again you exaggerating.

Your BR comment is without weight as well. That game is over so if you believe Sony will not care about games you are wrong. There are plenty of games for the PS3 and more in the pipeline. This is not a couldn't care less attitude by Sony, it is the perception of a disgruntled PS3 owner.
Honestly!! sell it you don't have a good word to say about it.

COD4 is awesome online on the PS3. Loads of players, No lag and straight into a game. I would say it ranks up with GOW on the 360.
I am not a first person man but this is so addictive.
I am just downloading the update to MGO 4 beta so will comment on what that is like soon.

Edited by Chancer, 20 April 2008 - 11:21 AM.

#13 mlmadmax

mlmadmax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

Have you played gran tourismo yet, it is a 15 minute manditory install so no i am not exaggerating at all. And than after the install it needed an update that took another five minutes.

That shit sucks no matter how you slice it.

And your rebutle to my blu-ray comment has no weight either since you are guessing also, and I have repeatedly said it is a dam good blu-ray player so quit your hatin on me. It is just a shity games machine IMO and I am entitled to it.

Edited by mlmadmax, 20 April 2008 - 07:47 PM.

#14 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(mlmadmax @ Apr 20 2008, 08:21 PM) View Post

Have you played gran tourismo yet, it is a 15 minute manditory install so no i am not exaggerating at all. And than after the install it needed an update that took another five minutes.

That shit sucks no matter how you slice it.

And your rebutle to my blu-ray comment has no weight either since you are guessing also, and I have repeatedly said it is a dam good blu-ray player so quit your hatin on me. It is just a shity games machine IMO and I am entitled to it.

Never liked GT in any form. Unrealistic car movement. Handling like shit etc. Not my cup of tea.. so no I haven't
HSG 3 minutes
PES2008 less than 2minutes
What I do know is and I repeat you exaggerated about the load times. You make it sound like every game has to load 5Gb to the drive and takes 15 minutes. Not true. If GT takes 15minutes ..So What! nobody ever bothered before in the Xbox days. In fact people bought huge HDDs and wanted to load every game to the drive. The benefits outweigh the initial load.
My comment carries plenty of weight. look at it logically Sony don't need to drive it from a BR point now. they are already driving it from the games angle. There are plenty of games and good ones at that, but maybe you only like Halo.. I don't know.

By your own admission you don't like the PS3 as a games machine, so why torture yourself. If it is a BC model it will bring you a good return.
Oh and it's nothing to do with "hatin" on anybody. It's reply and a very logical suggestion for someone who has not one good word to say about a machine they own.
I bought some extra games for the Wii and they were shit. Nothing I liked on it so I have now flogged it and moved on. I don't post in the Wii section how badly done to I have been over it.

Can't comment on MGO beta yet as the website to get the codes is gridlocked.
The creator may not be happy but the game is going to sell big style if this anything to judge by.

Edited by Chancer, 20 April 2008 - 09:44 PM.

#15 teknow

teknow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:37 AM

Should anyone be curious why the PS3 requires, suggests, benefits from installs... here is some interesting speculation:
Linked Article

It is said basically to come down to read speeds and the static speed at which data can be read. There appears to be much political reasoning to the prior lack of discussion.

For the record I'm willing to deal with the installs and don't find them to be a significant irritant. I hope to see improvements in future future drives if that is possible. The true mitigating factor is the ability for relatively easy user replacement/upgrade of the hard drive that isn't in any way proprietary to the system.

I'm most happy with the PS3's media server capabilities, remote play through PS3, and upcoming title selection. No FPS fans are aware or seem to be mentioning HAZE? There is your Halo killer. Not that it should take very much... Halo only initially edged out other FPS by it's use of vehicles where other titles had not included them; I'm speaking here of FPS over all. I don't care to get into a debate on FPS on console alone, that would be a poor measure.

Edited by teknow, 21 April 2008 - 03:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users