X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:12 AM

QUOTE(teknow @ Apr 20 2008, 11:13 PM) View Post
No FPS fans are aware or seem to be mentioning HAZE? There is your Halo killer.
Woah, Haze is my Halo killer for sure. I have said a billion times, I love Free Radical Design's games. But, they have gone head to head with Halo many times and lost. As much as I would like this time to be different, I doubt it will.

#17 PandaExpress

PandaExpress

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:44 AM

if he want to create something revolutionary then he needs to create on PC, its the only way.

and it would have been nice if the 360 had the option of installing parts of the game on the HDD, so the dvd drive would spin less.
I wouldn't even mind if it took a day to install as long as I don't have to hear the drive spin like crazy non stop when playing, from all the 360 problems this annoys me the most.

#18 vinz

vinz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE(PandaExpress @ Apr 21 2008, 06:20 AM) View Post

I wouldn't even mind if it took a day to install as long as I don't have to hear the drive spin like crazy non stop when playing, from all the 360 problems this annoys me the most.

See, for me, I very much dislike the installs. First of all, I only have the 40gb PS3. Which isn't enough, it's really sad to think there are 20gb owners out there. What happens when they own more than 10 games?

My main gripe with the installs isn't so much the space they take up though, it is that I like renting/borrowing games rather than buying. So I'm playing all sorts of different games for short periods of time. With so many different games it's just an inconvenience that gets to me after a while. I'd like to just play the game. I'm seeing a trend as we get better and better games, the installs get bigger and longer.

#19 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE(vinz @ Apr 21 2008, 01:48 PM) View Post
My main gripe with the installs isn't so much the space they take up though, it is that I like renting/borrowing games rather than buying. So I'm playing all sorts of different games for short periods of time. With so many different games it's just an inconvenience that gets to me after a while. I'd like to just play the game. I'm seeing a trend as we get better and better games, the installs get bigger and longer.
Can't you delete the install data and retain your save data? What's the big deal?

#20 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:26 PM

Stick in a 250GB drive

#21 PincheAnimal

PincheAnimal

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Apr 20 2008, 03:54 AM) View Post

You're exaggerating again. You sound so pissed off with your PS3 that I am not sure why you keep it.
A lot of games give you an option of loading data to the HDD. Lots don't load any on.
DMC 4 was the biggest I have had.
The load on is no big deal. It's a one time hit and the longest I have had took around 4 to 5 minutes.
In game play load times are not any different from the 360 from practical experience with the titles I have for both (Yes I am a sad old dickhead buying the same thing for both consoles0
I repeat again you exaggerating.

Your BR comment is without weight as well. That game is over so if you believe Sony will not care about games you are wrong. There are plenty of games for the PS3 and more in the pipeline. This is not a couldn't care less attitude by Sony, it is the perception of a disgruntled PS3 owner.
Honestly!! sell it you don't have a good word to say about it.

COD4 is awesome online on the PS3. Loads of players, No lag and straight into a game. I would say it ranks up with GOW on the 360.
I am not a first person man but this is so addictive.
I am just downloading the update to MGO 4 beta so will comment on what that is like soon.

laugh.gif

Always flying in like Superman to the PS3's rescue. laugh.gif The loads are an issue, it will only get worse as devs use up more of the space on the Disc. Right now devs use duplicate data as the alternative, as they start filling up the Disc this will be more of an issue. They either force the installs, or compromise the advantage Blue-Ray offers by filling it up with duplicate data. That's just bad engineering on Sony's part. Hey at least PS3's don't melt though.

QUOTE(mlmadmax @ Apr 20 2008, 12:21 PM) View Post

It is just a shity games machine IMO and I am entitled to it.

Not around here you're not. Seriously what's with all the PS3 fanboys, I thought this was supposed to be an Xbox site that also covered the PS3.

QUOTE(teknow @ Apr 20 2008, 08:13 PM) View Post
No FPS fans are aware or seem to be mentioning HAZE? There is your Halo killer. Not that it should take very much... Halo only initially edged out other FPS by it's use of vehicles where other titles had not included them; I'm speaking here of FPS over all. I don't care to get into a debate on FPS on console alone, that would be a poor measure.

Haze is a little late, Call of Duty 4 was the Halo killer that everybody was waiting for. With less than half the hype, it managed to beat Halo in sales and player activity, it has better graphics and made a bigger jump from COD 2 (a current gen game) than Halo 3 did over Halo 2. Really what else do people want, killing Halo at this point is like beating a dead horse.

#22 teknow

teknow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:33 AM

QUOTE(PincheAnimal @ Apr 21 2008, 07:37 PM) View Post

laugh.gif

Always flying in like Superman to the PS3's rescue. laugh.gif The loads are an issue, it will only get worse as devs use up more of the space on the Disc. Right now devs use duplicate data as the alternative, as they start filling up the Disc this will be more of an issue. They either force the installs, or compromise the advantage Blue-Ray offers by filling it up with duplicate data. That's just bad engineering on Sony's part. Hey at least PS3's don't melt though.
Not around here you're not. Seriously what's with all the PS3 fanboys, I thought this was supposed to be an Xbox site that also covered the PS3.
Haze is a little late, Call of Duty 4 was the Halo killer that everybody was waiting for. With less than half the hype, it managed to beat Halo in sales and player activity, it has better graphics and made a bigger jump from COD 2 (a current gen game) than Halo 3 did over Halo 2. Really what else do people want, killing Halo at this point is like beating a dead horse.

Having a positive view of the PS3 isn't a fault.

Loads will get better as developers learn how and take the time to better organize the data.

You are out of your depth in the realm of BlueRay disc capacity. If games ever approach 250gb (yes capacity can reach that size currently) developers would then be forced to find a more efficient approach to compression (yes, many if not all games compress) and it will never NEVER be an issue this generation. As it stands no amount of data duplication to increase read speeds will come anywhere near filling 1/4 of 250gb. Right now compression would not even be necessary.

If you don't want PS3 discussion, and this part is key, Stay out of the fucking PS3 boards... Christ.

COD2 is NOT current gen

Halo and COD4 are not compatible styles of game for FPS comparison... I could elaborate but it should be obvious enough. Haze isn't late though we have yet to see what it will actually offer upon release.

Edited by teknow, 22 April 2008 - 05:40 AM.

#23 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE(PincheAnimal @ Apr 22 2008, 12:37 AM) View Post

laugh.gif

The PS3 doesn't need rescuing. Mine is just fine. I don't object to stuff on the HDD... In fact I would love to be able to load full games on to it (like the old Xbox). As for filling up BR discs, please take the time to google and read on actual data throughput as opposed to spin speeds of the various types of drive.
Tell me you wouldn't like to be able to load games on the 360 (Full games and play them straight from HDD) I would love the feature on both.
You thought this was a Xbox site?? It is but you may have not realised, that you are trolling in the PS3 section.
Here you go with your "fanboy" stuff again. Proof of concept (see my reply in the other thread). Somebody liking something does not immediately mean they hate the rival product or make them some kind of low life for admitting it. Once more a case of you not reading my posts. If you had you would see what I dislike about the PS3 and indeed like and dislike about the 360 and the Wii.
One thing for certain. the things I post in here are based on My actual experience of long term ownership of the consoles in question not some insecure reaction based on internet here say or gossip between friends. You may not agree with it and feel free to say so, but if my experience of the machine in question is different, don't expect some pansy response simply agreeing with you, especially if you don't even own the console you are posting about.

One thing never to mention in a debate about pros and cons of a console is the quality of the engineering, if you are comparing 360 to PS3...or don't you read the proven figures or any of the other posts on that angle either?

Edited by Chancer, 22 April 2008 - 10:27 AM.

#24 Nosf3ratu

Nosf3ratu

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, what else?
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:21 PM

Somebody should change the title of this thread. biggrin.gif

We're using the Cell engine to its limit., actually.

Anyways. I agree with what Elemino said. It seems like the game just wasn't programmed efficiently. How could he have possible squeezed out everything he could with the Cell, especially this early on in the PS3's lifecycle? I seriously don't believe Kojima has used the PS3 to its full potential.

That being said, I can't wait for this f'in game to come out. I wonder how big the install will be? tongue.gif

#25 Kr0n1k

Kr0n1k

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:06 AM

I've been playing the beta, and boy, if this is the PS3 maxed out, I think its in trouble graphically. Everything is muddy and blurry, I think Kojima needs a new team, because there is no way this is the PS3 maxed out graphically.

#26 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:58 AM

Looks fine for a Beta. What exactly is Muddy and Blurry. I don't see it. Mind you I may be too busy trying to kill someone with no gun. I have lost the habit.

#27 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Apr 29 2008, 10:34 AM) View Post

Looks fine for a Beta. What exactly is Muddy and Blurry. I don't see it. Mind you I may be too busy trying to kill someone with no gun. I have lost the habit.

he might be talking about the environment textures, from the screens ive seen they look pretty muddy, especially if snake is next to them, such a high detail character next to a muddy texture wall.

however having not played the beta i cant accuratly comment what it's like in game.

to kill someone without a gun dont you have to sneak up behind them, grab them and then have a seizure until their neck breaks? that was the way it used to work.

#28 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(grim_d @ Apr 30 2008, 12:05 PM) View Post

he might be talking about the environment textures, from the screens ive seen they look pretty muddy, especially if snake is next to them, such a high detail character next to a muddy texture wall.

however having not played the beta i cant accuratly comment what it's like in game.

to kill someone without a gun dont you have to sneak up behind them, grab them and then have a seizure until their neck breaks? that was the way it used to work.

You can actually choose no guns. I am seriously bad without a gun, but it makes it a little different. You can use a knife.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users