289 replies to this topic

#241 bearcreek

bearcreek

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:11 PM

I installed a Seagate 2tb in my xbox and a 2tb Western Digital in a friends xbox about a month ago. No problems yet, other than cluster sizes, but that was my fault. Everything is fine now. I am about to install a 1.5 tb Western Digital in another friends xbox. I have had it for a couple of days now, just have not had a chance to install it. I think it is hit and miss with the hard drives, although I think they are getting better.

Edited by bearcreek, 13 January 2010 - 05:14 PM.

#242 Sleel

Sleel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

Man, I am getting no love from that company that sells the $5 SATA to IDE adapter. To those who waited a month for it to arrive, did you also get no response after placing your order? Thanks. Also, after softmodding my original HD, I am trying to upgrade to a 100 GB IDE for practice, while I wait, and am having zero luck with creating a working boot CD. Do people here tend to use the boot CD method, or do you format and setup the HD in a PC, then swap. All insights are appreciated.

#243 bearcreek

bearcreek

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:39 PM

I have never tried putting the hard drive in a pc. I always use a game exploit and ftp. But, I read alot of people are using their pc to mod, you may want to give it a try. As for the difficulty, I cannot say. I just tried Krayzie's Ndure, that goes pretty smooth. I also just did my first TSOP and that went fairly smooth. I will say that for the TSOP, the Eurasia generic flash program is a must, no other program would attempt to flash. I was starting to think I did something wrong. My next mod I may try the hard drive in the pc.

And yes they are not big on responding. I hope you ordered a couple of them because in my experience one may work on your xbox and not work on another xbox.

#244 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:34 AM

I TSOP-flash my boxes, then install any new drives using a boot disc with the console itself. Only use XBoxHDM when I need to install a softmod on a box that won't boot, or when I need to upgrade a 1.6 console's drive.

#245 Boomin Newman

Boomin Newman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:48 AM

For people having trouble with dealsxtreme check out the link i posted to a Australian site that sells the exact same one with free shipping also. Only problem is it take's a good month to receive from China.

Not sure if this help's but you have to be patient with the boot disc. Mine will sit their doing nothing for like 2 mins before it starts to boot it up.

#246 bearcreek

bearcreek

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

Bomb Bloke, what bios are you using on your TSOP? I used 4981 and formated with xbpartitioner. I got the lba warning, which is not a big deal right now as I put an 80 gb drive in. It has been so long since I have done anything with xbox bioses and I am being lazy (by not searching), is there something I need to do to the 4981 to not get the error or should I use a different bios? You never know when you are going to install a larger drive.

Edited by bearcreek, 18 January 2010 - 05:19 PM.

#247 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:26 AM

I use 5035 where ever possible. Too large for 1.2 through to 1.5 TSOPs.

#248 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:04 AM

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Jan 19 2010, 02:26 AM) View Post

I use 5035 where ever possible. Too large for 1.2 through to 1.5 TSOPs.

Do you know if you can use a 1TB sata with a debug setup??

and I know you can install a debug dash but can you flash the debug dash making it essentially a full out debug system?? or is that not how flashing works?

#249 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:13 AM

You can use any drive with any system, so long as it's lockable and at least 8gb.

How much of the drive space is usable depends on the BIOS. In a "true" debug system, a 1tb drive will be mostly inaccessible without either reflashing the console or using the Phoenix BIOS Loader to get the system out of debug mode (assuming PBL can even function in the debug environment. Dunno if it can).

Dashboards are programs installed on the console's HDD. BIOSes are stored either in the motherboard's TSOP chip, or in a modchip. You flash BIOSes, you install dashboards.

#250 Sleel

Sleel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:43 AM

Just passing this along. After burning 4 boot disks that didn't work, I tried this method: http://forums.afterd...view.cfm/203286
and it worked like a charm. From start to finish was about 45 min (including burning time). I know that I'm way below the curve on this stuff, but I hope this is still of use to someone.

(PS I'm sure this method is listed on this forum somewhere, but this link is where my searching brought me first)

#251 karoshiga

karoshiga

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:55 AM

Just want to say that my 1TB WD and the adapter I chose is still running flawlessly (minus the boot delay, which isn't too bad) to this day.

So much that I will probably buy another same or larger HDD for my other box that currently is swapped between 2 500 GB IDE drives.

When you can get it to fly, it really is nice.

#252 Suicidal Dreams

Suicidal Dreams

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:05 PM

I wish this place had a wiki area in the first post.

I've read through just about every page, and it seems like there is finally some success to this, but i notice that pretty much everyone is using TSOP or a chip.

Is there any hope for this working on 100% softmods?

Well done to all involved, and thank you for your work.

#253 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:29 AM

So long as the softmod has support for XBP's custom partitions (NDure installed by Krazie's/Kingroach's pack should have this), should work. Seen a softmodded box running a 1.5tb drive.

#254 OGREIUS

OGREIUS

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:IVE GOT 8 SOFT MODDED XBOX AND 5 COMPUTERS I MODD AND HACK FOR FUN CASE MODDS TOO
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:45 PM

I DID A TB HD NOT VERY DIFFICULT

XBPARTIONER WILL DO A 2TB HARD DRIVE THATS THE BIGGEST IVE DONE SO FAR

AND ON SOFT MODDED

I USED NDURE AND EVOX WITH XBMC AS THE DASHBOARD

#255 Womi

Womi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:33 PM

Maybe somebody here can help me - I'm out of ideas.

I want to put a spare 500GB Western Digital SATA I HDD in my 1.6 XBox (DuoX2 with X2 5035 bios).
So I bought a SATA -> IDE Adapter that was confirmed to work here.
It's this one: http://img709.images...21/22000189.jpg

Put everything together. Startup was slow and after a few tries AID 4.50 managed to boot and formatted the HDD successfully. Copied XBMC to the HDD, rebooted.
Now it either shows error 13 or loads the dashboard 'frame by frame'.
It takes like 5 minutes for the boot screen to slowly fade away and for parts of the dashboard to appear.

AID shows cryptic symbols in it's message boxes too.

I thought this is probably the fault of the adapter. So I ordered the Deal Extreme one: http://img23.imagesh...ealextremem.jpg

But it shows exactly the same behavior. Master and Cable Select jumper setting made no difference (Slave didn't boot at all).

Also a 80pin IDE cable and an external power supply didn't help either.

Any suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users