Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:15 PM

Interesting, though I doubt we'll see any 2.2tb drives - odds are the next step from 2tb will be 2.5tb or something higher.

#272 wedders

wedders

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:27 PM

Hey all,

So I've got a 5400rpm 1.5tb Samsung sata drive I'm trying to get working with a 1.6. It's modded with a xenium gold.

The adaptor I bought was just one the same shop I bough the HD from had, based on a JMicron 20330, works IDE - SATA and vice versa, the manual says. It was designed to connect to the motherboard IDE so it needed some "modification", but seems fine (well, is fine, I can connect the original IDE drive through it and the console's fine, so that's all fine).

First question: There were three unsoldered points on the adaptor labelled "JP1" (which I assume is "jumper 1", with text near to them reading "1-2 host mode, 2-3 device mode". I soldered some pins in there in case I needed them. I'm pretty sure it's currently (aka, by default) wired to host mode, any change needed? I've read cable select but also that setting as master works, but I'd like someone more knowledgable to tell me!

So, I haven't touched this drive. I can't use XboxHDM right now so I figured I could probably use the slayer evox auto installer to format and mess around with it for me. Am I right? Or does it need to be partitioned and formatted and all before entering the 'box? Because right now, the slayer disc boots fine with the stock HD in, and craps up after the undulating goo with the sata drive in.

The drive is also SATA2 and the manual states there's software to knock it down to SATA1 -- is this a good idea before I XboxHDM it 2mo? I've read two sides to every aspect of this and I'm real confused xD.

Cheers all!

#273 jaygriggs

jaygriggs

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:ummm xbox
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:15 AM

First use AIDs (I never messed with Slayers) or whatever on your Sata Hdd and choose the option to partition it. Then use xbpartitioner 1.0 and partition the hdd. Then use xbpartitioner 1.1 and partition. Run had a thread on it somewhere here Xbpartitioner 1.1 has a bug so use some math and make sure it took. If it didnt data will corrupt after 500gigs. Then enjoy:) If done a ton of them they're pretty easy. If you have any other questions just pm me.

On another note Has anybody tried the 2.5TB that Western Digital just released I assume the xbox will only recognize 2.19TB
Im thinking about upgrading my main xbox from 1.5-2.5 As long as the partitions are under 1tb xbpartitioner 1.1 should work, I just dont want to be the first guinea pig:D

Edited by jaygriggs, 21 October 2010 - 12:32 AM.

#274 one2three4five

one2three4five

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:55 PM

Instead of a 1 TB hard drive can I use a 3 TB hard drive?

#275 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,735 posts
  • Interests:#lordvader129
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE(one2three4five @ Mar 25 2011, 10:55 AM) View Post

Instead of a 1 TB hard drive can I use a 3 TB hard drive?

the largest you can use is 2tb as the xbox wont read more than that

#276 one2three4five

one2three4five

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:39 PM

@lordvader129 Thanks.

#277 Womi

Womi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:01 AM

Has anybody got any idea what's going on here?

I've installed a 2 TB WD Green SATA HDD, everything worked fine. Booting is almost as quick as my previous 500 GB IDE HDD.
XBox v1.4 with SmartXX 2 and x2 5035 bios.

Used XBPartitioner 1.0 to split the free space evenly between F and G, used 1.1 to format them with 64k clusters (changed size slightly to force a reformat).
I even checked the cluster size with EvoX by transferring a 10 kb file to both F and G -> free space was exactly 64kb less.

Now I've transferred about 400 GB of Games to F - and all of the sudden my files are corrupt (G is still empty).
Seems like the typical 32k cluster problem to me, I can still see all files, but parts of them are missing.
Luckily I still got everything on my PC HDD.

What did I do wrong? Has it something to do with the massive amount of files?
Could it have something to do with my previous mistake - on my fist attempt, XBP 1.1 didn't reformat the partitions and because of the 32k clusters all files disappeared after the 500GB mark. Then I reformatted G and F, but left C, E etc. alone.

Edited by Womi, 24 July 2011 - 09:08 AM.

#278 scooge

scooge

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:backups, fair use. repair before replace, buy used not new.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:47 AM

I'm sizing up ide/sata adapter/converters.

Many of the links in this and other threads are dead.

I saw this. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812232021

I am guessing it should work. Anyone know for sure?

#279 JLsoft

JLsoft

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:16 AM

scooge, there probably wouldn't be any room to mount that cleanly...plus you'd need an adapter for the power

Almost everyone uses boards that are meant to attach right to the back of the drive and they only add like another 1/2 inch to the length.

Check http://stores.ebay.com/partsdom - and search for 'SATA' 'PATA' for an example.

You can also try searching the main eBay site for:

PATA/IDE TO Serial ATA SATA Adapter For 2.5/3.5 SATA HD

or

PATA/IDE TO Serial ATA SATA Adapter Converter For HDD

which are auction names that the above ebay seller has used...I only mention that ebay seller because I and others have gotten their adapters from that user, and they ship from the USA instead of Hong Kong, which would usually take like 2+ weeks to show up. If you search, make sure you choose a seller that's not from HK/etc if shipping time matters. :)

Searching for just PATA SATA also brings up these types of boards mostly, with some of the larger ones like you linked to.

#280 Suicidal Dreams

Suicidal Dreams

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:46 AM

hey guys

when i last took a look at all this, i was under the impression that softmodded systems didn't do well with sata drives. is that no longer the case?

#281 ceaseless

ceaseless

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:24 PM

Well I'm 2 weeks in and I was doing fine until last week when I had this problem
http://forums.xbox-s...p;#entry4821307

Other than that, everything still works properly. I still have my 32 cluster- G partition on this 500 GB. It's just this black hanging screen when I press the power button after the boot up sequence. I have to press Eject for it to finish loading and get to the dashboard and that's aggravating. Between the SATA adapters and the spinning of the hard disk, I hope we figure out something.

#282 hlmasterchief93

hlmasterchief93

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

If i use PATA to SATA converter, can i lock the hdd ?

#283 gugutz

gugutz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

Hi guys.

After trying to upgrade my xbox 1 HD for my 1.5tb sata drive using the adapter i bought from dealextreme and it failed a few months ago, now, several months later, i finally had success just by buying anotehr adapter (the same one), and using my Seagate 1tb drive. (couldnīt use the 1.5tb cause it was already on my PC and it is filled, and i didnīt feel like backing up 1500gb of files before trying the upgrade, so i just used the 1tb i got reserved for this purpose.

So here are the technical data:

Hard Drive: 1TB Seagate Barracuda ST31000528AS
Cable: EXCHANGED the default 40way cable with a 80ways cable on the xbox.
Setting up: I just downloaded AID 4.53 (Auto Installer Deluxe, the newest release as of now), and it formatted the drive for me.
It made a C: partition with 500mb, an E: partition with 5 gb, and an F: partition with 924gb biggrin.gif

What went down while i was upgrading:

First i got error 16, the internal clock error.
I dunno why i got this error, since to get it you have to disconnect the power and leave it off for 5 hours or more so the capacitor for the clock runs out of energy, and the xbox was only out of power for like 10 secs tops, but i got it anyway.

To fix it i just removed the 1tb sata drive, and placed the 120gb PATA that was already there, let it boot once to xbmc so it can read and record the internal clock again, then i changed back to the SATA drive WITHOUT disconnect the xbox from the power this time.

So i started getting error 13. Then i knew it was just a matter of installing the dashboard.
Inserted the AID 4.53 dvd, it booted on the first attempt, automatically detected there was a new HDD and then i went step-by-step first partitioning, then formatting C:, then E:, then F:
After this i installed XBMC, copied Avalaunch to the Apps folder on E: via FTP, and launched it so i could use Qwix to send my games in.

So far i copied 150gb of files and everythint went smooth.

Now what i wanted to ask you guys here was this: do any of you know if the newest release of AID already prepares drives larger than 500gb with 64kb clusters? Or should i do the repartitioning of my F: again on xbpartitioner 1.0 and 1.1, like the usual methods?

Also wanted to say that i made a page on my website in pt-br with a guide to help people from Brazil and portuguese speaking countries to make this upgrade possible on their xboxes.]

The address is http://gugutz.com/hd-sata-no-xbox-1/, and it gives the proper credits to galvanash for starting this thread, and the nice people on Xbox-scene who have been struggling for years now to made this upgrade even easier for ppl around the world.

Edited by gugutz, 15 April 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#284 joeblow420

joeblow420

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:51 PM

just wanted to say, so far, i have been successful in formatting a new WD Green series..
the WD20EARX !
confirmed partitions are in 64 clusters.. so far so good!

#285 gugutz

gugutz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE(joeblow420 @ Aug 28 2012, 05:51 PM) View Post

just wanted to say, so far, i have been successful in formatting a new WD Green series..
the WD20EARX !
confirmed partitions are in 64 clusters.. so far so good!

Hey joeblow420, did you make anything else to make the partitions be formatted with 64kb clusters?

Because here the AID formatted mine with 32kb, and i had to use xbpartitioner afterall (both versions)

Still using the SATA drive and so far no problems (apart from the longer time to boot, but you eventually get used to it)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users