X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:03 AM

It works good but it is a little buggy you get the occassional error 13 or f or g partition missing.It cures on a reboot.I guess it is the price you have to pay for the size advantage.
On the otherhand I have a 750 gig pata and it works flawlessly so you decide whats best for you.
As far as performance they seem the same.An xbox does not ask much out of a hdd and the interface that the xbox uses couldnt use the extra speed if it did.

#47 D-Three

D-Three

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:57 PM

Why error 13? Isn't that a very strange error? Is this in combination with a softmod?

I'm very interested to try this upgrade because I want to use the Western Digital Caviar GP. Not because of it's size but because it runs very cool and quiet. The only problem is that I can't find a shop that sells the right SATA to IDE adapter. sad.gif

#48 coolio73

coolio73

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:40 AM

Trying to find the root cause: is the issue with the adapter or is it with using a 1 TB drive?

And, am I getting this correctly - only one person(the initial poster) was able to hook up a sata 1 TB drive w/ adapter successfully with no problems?

#49 aerofx

aerofx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE(coolio73 @ Aug 20 2008, 11:16 PM) View Post

Trying to find the root cause: is the issue with the adapter or is it with using a 1 TB drive?

And, am I getting this correctly - only one person(the initial poster) was able to hook up a sata 1 TB drive w/ adapter successfully with no problems?

read his other posts, he still has problems even though they're minor.

#50 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:51 PM

Best I can make out, the main issue is that SATA drives just take too long to power up for the X-Box's liking.

For what it's worth, one guy got his console booting using a certain adapter that I also bought. Another guy got his console booting with a drive that I also bought.

But that drive/adapter combo didn't work in my X-Box. Worked in my PC though.

#51 daov2a

daov2a

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:22 AM

So on the strength of this post, I bought the necessary equipment and began the HDD upgrade for my softmodded xbox. I followed this guide: http://forums.afterd...view.cfm/203286

Alas, it is not working. What did I do wrong? Where/when do I split the partitions? After finishing up with the info from the guide, I just get the Xbox green error/support screen when booting.

QUOTE(galvanash @ Apr 20 2008, 06:54 AM) View Post

This is my first post here, but I have been messing with xboxen since virtually day one. I have never seen a definitive post on the net about whether this particular upgrade is doable and exactly what hardware will work, so since I just managed to accomplish it I thought posting my details might help others out.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED

1. SATA harddrive. I assume there are other drives that will work as well, but I chose to use a Western Digital Caviar GP WD10EACS 1TB. It proved to be lockable so it will work for either modchip users or those with softmods. It is also very quite and runs quite cool to the touch. Regardless, you will need LBA48 support in your bios or a softmod which supports it such as nkpatcher (I use nkpatcher 11).

2. SATA to IDE adapter. Again, there may be other adapters that work, but I know this one does: SABRENT SBT-STDB IDE Ultra ATA-100/133 to SATA Port Mini Converter

Thats it really. I wont bother with a step by step as no trickery is required, the basic howtos for a harddrive upgrade will work fine. I used xboxhdm v1.9 and followed the normal procedure which can be found on this site. I used xbpartitioner and chose to split the free space across F and G using 32KB clusters. I ended up with 2 496GB partitions, and have completely filled up one of them with no corruption issues.

Happy upgrading!

#52 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:02 AM

Does this error screen come with an error code in the corner?

#53 daov2a

daov2a

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:00 PM

There is no error code. It's the error that comes up after the XBOX splash/intro screen and is written in various languages. It seems that my XBOX does not yet support the large HDD.
I noticed that there is a need for LBA48 BIOS or a softmod with NKPatcher 11. Is there a way to put in NKPatcher 11 without redoing the entire softmod? I believe this to be my issue i.e. LBA48/NKPatcher. I do not have a modchip and I'm unsure how to tell if my softmod is actually going to support the 1TB drive. Any easy way to tell? Sorry, for the seemingly dumb questions, I inherited this softmodded xbox and decided to give the HDD upgrade a try after reading this forum.

I'm thinking of buying chip and just starting over. May be easier and work better in the end with the 1TB. Any thoughts?

#54 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:42 AM

To see if your softmod supports LBA48 (and therefore 1tb drives), put your old HDD in and load up XBPartitioner on it. If you don't get an angry message telling you the support isn't there, then that means you're fine.

No error code means you have a v1.0 console, yes? If that's the case, you might consider flashing your TSOP and doing away with the softmod altogether. See, the problem is that there's a good possibility that the reason it isn't working is because of the whole SATA thing (er, you did read this whole thread, right?), and a TSOP flash would eliminate most of the other possible issues.

#55 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:05 AM

The console would still bootup even with the big hdd and no support for it.My guess would be tsop flash and you will find error 13 unless you messed up ur dash files or forgot to lock ur hdd

#56 bi0hacker

bi0hacker

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:52 AM

Have you guys tried this with just xbox linux(probably xebian) running? I'm trying to create a cheaper NAS that doesn't suck and gives decent speeds.

#57 daov2a

daov2a

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:18 PM

Ok, back from the dead! Here's where I am now:

the xbox I previously mentioned DOES NOT yet support LBA48 (duh!). I spoke to the guy who originally modded it (it was inherited) and he was clueless on the whole thing. I asked what mod he used (Splinter Cell) but, in the end, that didn't matter. It is an xbox 1.0 and I do need to do the TSOP flash. But I have decided to skip that and give this xbox to my niece and start fresh (she just wanted it and gave me her old one, which is version 1.1 and in much better shape all around).

So, I did not want to buy any games, parts, chips, etc. if possible and did the softmod via this tutorial:

http://forums.xbox-s...o...496263&st=0 (a truly excellent and free guide! Thanks Textbook!)

Now, I've given the 1TB upgrade a shot. Copied everything over and did the xboxhdm stuff and error 13. Did a little research and found that #13 is:

http://forums.afterd...view.cfm/210562

Then did more digging and found that error 13 comes up for a lot of folks doing a HDD upgrade after the Ndure hotswap softmod. Usually, it's due to the type of softmod and you can run ndts default.xbe and then copy and do xboxhdm and all should be good. But alas, it is not. I still get error 13.

Any ideas?

#58 reliantkcar

reliantkcar

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • 360 version:v3.1 (opus)

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:41 AM

Ok so today my friend got the 1tb seagate for 135 off craigslist new in the box from some guy who didn't need it. also we got this adapter off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/...id=p3286.c0.m14

So after playing with xboxhdm and swapping his 500 gig with my 10's I put the 1tb in the xbox booted it to the stock dash fine. then i put the cover on and it constantly rebooted till i put mechassault in there and modded it again.
so after modding it the thing kept freezing on boot after many attempts but worked fine without the cover on.

so upon further investigation I found that when the case was screwed on the power cable was pushing the adapter down causing errors like 13 then 21 then 7 in random order. then sometimes it would boot to the dash (unleashed x) and the words would be all garbled.

but every time the case is off it works so first i ripped halo to the hard drive played it and it was good so . right now i'm transfering 150 gigs of data and still no problems but obviously i want to close the case and as such i'm looking for a new adapter to make this 1tb more stable than it is.

by the way the xbox is a version 1.0

the hardrive was set up with 2 469 gig 32kb cluster partitions using xbpartitioner if you'd like to know...

also does anyone know how to change the mac address since the way i changed the harddrives was to just unlock the 500 gig he had and lock it to put it in one of my spares so now his 1tb and 500 gig xbox have the some mac address so they can't be connected to transfer data at all.....

#59 jakejm79

jakejm79

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:40 AM

Configmagic allows on-the-fly editing of the EEPROM which is where the MAC address is stored. Also have you tried cutting part of the case or rerouting the power cable.

#60 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:53 PM

We will see if this will work I got it coming in the mail

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148337

I am going to try the adapter I already have on the 1tb in my sig since it is already known to work.

Finally the possiblity of being able to store all my xbox games in one location.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users