minino666

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE(run088 @ Sep 28 2008, 03:29 PM) View Post

We will see if this will work I got it coming in the mail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148337
I am going to try the adapter I already have on the 1tb in my sig since it is already known to work.
Finally the possiblity of being able to store all my xbox games in one location.

Which adapter you already have on the 1tb in your sig since it is already known to work???????

#62 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:23 PM

I dont think its the adapter itself some of them seem to have shotty soldering work as mine does but it seems to work most the time outside the error13 every now and then.There is really no safe way to go.Some get lucky others not so much.I give this a 50/50 chance at best of working on any adaper or sata hdd.It seems that the higher performance drives have had a little better success than the ones with smaller and slower caches and what not but that is not confirmed either.The mod is a toss up to be honest.

#63 reliantkcar

reliantkcar

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • 360 version:v3.1 (opus)

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:44 AM

well I've successfully transfered 500 gigs to it so far with the cover off So i know the adapter works it's just that it is so high that the case smashes down on the power cable and it bends the harddrive adapter down. i think a shorter adapter would be better since there would be no pressure on the adapter itself so it would work fine every time

#64 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:00 AM

Other minor problems that I have is partitions not showing up.Sometimes on boot f will be gone sometimes g and sometimes both.A restart fixes it every time.Every once in a while it will throw a dirty disk error if I load games from the hdd.

These are the things you need to watch for these are all things that everybody I have read about has had to deal with some just has the problem less than others.

Good luck

#65 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:07 PM

1.5tb drive seems to be holding up so far.It booted slayers and took the format.I am going to hit it with xbpartitioner in a little while.The only issue so far is it takes an extra 10 seconds to load the dash.

#66 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:12 AM

XBpartitioner is not playing nice with the hdd.It locks up when you tell it to write to the partition.And I have a theory about the error13.

I dont think it is a problem with the adapter since people say the same adapter works just fine on the pc.I also know that the xbox has no trouble with a convertor for use of a laptop hdd.I ran one for a year with no problems.So I believe it is not an interface issue.I thought about it for a while and this is what I think.For 1 thing the adapter draws power for itself which is going to lower the amperage a little across all the components.Upon comparing the specs of the sata hdds I have which both throw the random error13 against the specs of the factory hdd.This is what I come up with.The amperage across the 5 volt lead on the xbox is within the required range of the factory hdd but the amperage of the 12 volt lead for the factory hdd is .35A the 12 volt recommended for the sata drives I have is .65A on my 1tb and .52A on the 1.5tb that is roughly double of what the old drive required.And most likely the reason for the error13 is low amperage across on start up because everything is pulling for power at once.This is my current theory.I could be wrong.

What happens when you try to deck a mod out with to many lights that draw to much power?What kind of errors does the xbox throw?Or any mods for that matter that drains the power to much and causes the xbox to malfunction?

#67 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:41 AM

There is a problem with xbpartitioner 1.1

It freezes up but 1.0 worked 1st try.This however will not help me since 1.0 only does 32k.I need 64k.I need to go see if xboxhdm will do 64k.I will let you all know what I find out.

#68 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:09 AM

XBoxHDM does not do 64kb clusters. It's XBPartitioner 1.1, or nothin'.

Anyway, some more details please! What partition sizes were you working with between the two different versions? Will XBP 1.1 refuse to create any partition sizes on the new drive, or do you only get problems when you attempt to do large ones?

#69 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:32 AM

It would not do the formatting until after I formatted it with 1.0.

I went back and tried again after I formatted it with 1.0 then after findiing the info about the other app as you stated I decided to give 1.1 another try and it worked or atleast seemed to work the pic is to oversized to see everything.I did notice that the app now only lets you format 1 partition at a time on 1.1 which differs from previous versions.

I have only tried to split the 1.5tb drive in half so those are the only size partitions I have tested.

The load times seem to be longer but it seems to work as good as the 1tb I have.

I tried to remove the dvd and connect the hdd to the shorter ide but the xbox would not boot.I am using 5035 and no dvd check so it should not have a conflict but it does.

I am still sticking to my theory as of now about the error13 and why it happens.Bloke what was the specs on your hdd that did not work on the xbox?Is the amperage of the hdd for the 12v alot higher than the .35a that a factory one is?

If this is the issue should not an inline cap not help it out and maybe eliminate the issue entirly?

If it will what size and spec do you suggest?

Edited by run088, 03 October 2008 - 08:41 AM.

#70 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:09 AM

I honestly didn't change that much stuff with the 1.1 patch. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to format multiple partitions at once with it. To memory, it's the black button that changes function... Or was it the white one? I dunno. The readme file covers all that stuff. All I know is that if it isn't cluster related then I didn't touch it.

I found that changing the system resolution made a difference to how well XBP fits my screen. I have to use 4:3 or it's all stretched out of shape. Mind you, I have a 4:3 TV, of course.

Statements such as "It would not do the formatting" completely fail to convey what happened instead. tongue.gif

I'm afraid I'm uncertain as to how to find out about the amperage stuff you're asking about. On the drive is written "0.7A, 0.5A" - I hope that's what you mean. The model is HD753LJ.

I compared this to an IDE Maxtor I used to run in the X-Box (which of course ran just fine), and that's got 0.74A and 1.5A on it. It's in my PC now (with two cooling fans piggybacked onto it's molex). 6L250R0 (a noisy and slow drive, I don't recommend it).

I'm also not sure as to what an inline cap is - Some sort of electrical filtering device best I can make out? Sort of like the capacitors used to smooth an AC wave into DC?

The way I figure it if insufficient juice is the problem, then if you were to externally power the drive from a secondary PSU prior to starting the console it should work. I suppose that'd be the easiest way to test the theory?

#71 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:28 AM

That is exactly what I was thinking about how to test it.I just got to wait on it to finish transfering it to test it.It really does not happen to much to be a big deal but if I can find a solution it will just be one less thing to worry about.

And I was talking about a capacitor.It stores voltage thats what it does then when the required voltage becomes short it sucks the juice from there they have these for ac and dc current.It just recharges when the voltage is not needed.I figured this way if the draw was to much on startup with everything pulling juice this might help out some.

And as far as not formatting the app seem to freeze up and would never let me to attempt to format.I could get it to the back menu once or twice when I tried or sometimes get it to change settings once or twice but it would freeze before I could format.

The 1.0v fired right up and did the deed.The 1.1v wouldnt work until the drive was already formatted it then did not have a problem reformatting the drive and using the needed 64k but it seemed to have the freezing problem on a fresh install.

#72 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:27 AM

i got my second convertor today for the sata drive.I needed to transfer the info from my 1tb to my 1.5tb.Anyway I thought I would go with a different approach with this one to see if it gets better results.The adapter I bought was the kind that plug into the port of the mobo.Which is different than my other one that is plugged into the back of the hdd.Anyway it seems it took me messing with it for about 20 or 30 boots before I could get it to start.It works but when it refuses it doesnt act like the other adapter.From looking at the brightness of the led on the adapter when it refuses to boot the light gets real bright you can hear the hdd start to crank up and the xbox goes into panic mode flashing red/green and the video is a big delay behind it.The the other hand when it does boot it takes forever to load the dash.I would say it takes just as long if not longer to load than aids does.Anybody the uses aids should know what I am talking about.I have not got any of the common errors yet that I get on the other adapter.Error 13 mainly with an occasional error 21.

Because of the way this new adapter acts it leads me to believe that the biggest issue with the problems with the mod is juice.I think the sata drive and the adapter among the other xbox components are pulling to much of the amperage from the power supply at once.

All adapters seem to work good when you get past the startup.It seems to have no problem converting the signals.Only problems on cold boots.

I tried to test this on the new adapter because at first it refused to boot in the first 30 or so tries.It started working or atleast started to pick up the ini on the hdd for 5035 because the fans started kicking up.After this when I connected it back to its own power source it began to work.I cant figure out exactly why.

Outside the big wait for the dash when you boot it seems to work just fine.

#73 reliantkcar

reliantkcar

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • 360 version:v3.1 (opus)

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:23 PM

well mine is working great I had to tape the dumb power wire over so the adapter was on strait and now it boots fine every time no problems

#74 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

Any chanche you could provide us with more details about what adapter you used and where you purchased it?

regards

#75 guilmar

guilmar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:53 PM

Plz...
Does anybody here use another converter???
I didn't find the "SABRENT SBT-STDB IDE Ultra ATA-100/133 to SATA Port Mini Converter" here... i'm from Brazil... I only find some JMicron to buy....
Plz...?!?!?!?!?
Here one..
http://produto.merca...3-hd-cd-dvd-_JM
The website is in portuguese... but plz, take a look at the product!!

Tnx!!!

Edited by guilmar, 13 October 2008 - 10:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users