X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:02 PM

Hello everybody,

I've tried fixing the xbox with the x-clamp modification and it goes to 3 red rings then 2 (overheating) then vice versa whenever I tighten or loosen the screws.

Although I'm not sure if my senses are right, but I smelt an electronic smell later, and I noticed its an 0002 error, the dvd drive when removed is supposed to show blinking lights on the power button which isn't anymore, I'm not sure if the smell or that is related)

(It worked before after the RROD when I put the X-Clamp screw holders on the other side to clamp down the CPU and GPU heatsinks.)

Gave it to a mate then it updated then went E73. and hence the RROD soon after which explained at the start of the thread ^^^

Anyone have new ideas? (I have a heatgun but not sure if that's appropriate)

Cheers

#2 j_s891

j_s891

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:05 AM

I had the same prob and removed the xclamps as per lawdawgs method and ensured good clean surfaces on both surfaces of the cpu and gpu with corresponding heat sinks,,,, then applied the cheap stuff ie. $3 of thermal paste... So far very good and the xbox360 has been on 9+ hours a day for the past 3 days... I had a couple of freezes but that ended up being the cd itself... BLUF my tip to you is to ensure the clean surfaces and ensure the screws are tight,,, I guess not to tight as per other peoples guidence (I tightend the s$%^ out of mine without probs yet)...

GL

#3 Zoneout

Zoneout

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

I'm fairly sure it was not that, it now goes straight to the RROD whereas before it usually takes a few seconds before showing it.

Also before when I removed the DVD drive the power light blinks rapidly. This time it doesn't, It just stays green, the DVD Drive won't power up let alone eject (Works fine in any other console). Same goes with the fans, doesn't start.

Nothing wrong with the power supply, works with several 360's I've tried.

The error is 0002.

Anyone help me out on this?

(It was 0102 before, which after got fixed as explained above, and returned again to RROD. The 0102 RROD actually powers up, where the heatsinks get warm, fans running, dvd drive working and ejecting etc.)

Edited by Zoneout, 29 April 2008 - 01:38 PM.

#4 Zoneout

Zoneout

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:29 PM

Anybody?

#5 Zoneout

Zoneout

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:18 PM

Ok I've experimented with it. It came up with various errors.

0002 (dead end)
-------------------

It now seems to end up with 0022 now, I've tried heating the CPU up as anything that changes the error has always been something with the CPU, I sometimes hear a snap which I saw the errors changing. (When trying to screw/unscrew the heatsink in various ways.

It takes 10 seconds before showing anything (3 red rings with 0022 error).

- Tried to heat up the CPU with heatgun, didn't make any difference
- Tried to overheat the CPU without fans several times.

I noticed where the smell came from, looked a bit unusual but I saw a black burn spot where one of the screws on the upper left hand side of the heatsink on the bottom. I don't see any traces running through it at all, just an empty spot on the motherboard where the screw were. Wierd.

Anyone help please?

#6 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE(Zoneout @ Apr 30 2008, 03:54 PM) View Post

Ok I've experimented with it. It came up with various errors.

0002 (dead end)
-------------------

It now seems to end up with 0022 now, I've tried heating the CPU up as anything that changes the error has always been something with the CPU, I sometimes hear a snap which I saw the errors changing. (When trying to screw/unscrew the heatsink in various ways.

It takes 10 seconds before showing anything (3 red rings with 0022 error).

- Tried to heat up the CPU with heatgun, didn't make any difference
- Tried to overheat the CPU without fans several times.

I noticed where the smell came from, looked a bit unusual but I saw a black burn spot where one of the screws on the upper left hand side of the heatsink on the bottom. I don't see any traces running through it at all, just an empty spot on the motherboard where the screw were. Wierd.

Anyone help please?

Well heating up the CPU doesnt help because the CPU is fine, X-S should edit the secondary error codes finally this just leads to people burning their CPUs to dead.
0022 is a problem with the GPU I suppose it is closely connected to the 1022(aka E74) error which is a problem with the connection of the GPU to the ANA scaler-chip.
So concentrate on the GPU, I could fix 0022 by replacing the X-Clamps and overheating the GPU however it didnt last long like a month later the error changed to 1022(E74).
So what I suggest is heatgun the GPU and the area from the GPU to the scaler-chip from both sides, until the solder melted.(it will get a golden glance after it melted)
After that apply AS5 and put the heatsink back on(use M5 screws, not the X-Clamps).

This tutorial clearly shows what you are supposed to do but remove the heatsink before using the heatgun because thats the only thing that the guy did wrong... http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=646900

#7 Zoneout

Zoneout

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:52 PM

Uh ohh, I heatgunned with the heatsink on, so I guess it's safe to say that it's completely stuffed?

I tried even with the support pushing the CPU and GPU up, is that recommended?

Alright I will try heatgunning without the heatsink, I'm afraid it may be stuffed despite the errors changing?

- It could maybe explain why it takes a while (10 secs) before showing an 0022 error uh oh...

#8 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE(Zoneout @ May 1 2008, 04:28 PM) View Post

Uh ohh, I heatgunned with the heatsink on, so I guess it's safe to say that it's completely stuffed?

I tried even with the support pushing the CPU and GPU up, is that recommended?

Alright I will try heatgunning without the heatsink, I'm afraid it may be stuffed despite the errors changing?

- It could maybe explain why it takes a while (10 secs) before showing an 0022 error uh oh...

the 10 seconds thingy is normal for this error might even take longer...
If you flattened the solderballs below the GPU the xbox would show 0001 or 0003 as it would shorten out...
just do it properly and it will work wait for the yellowish/golden glance thats the sign that the solder has reflowed...

Edited by Wilhelm_I, 01 May 2008 - 04:02 PM.

#9 Zoneout

Zoneout

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE(Wilhelm_I @ May 2 2008, 01:37 AM) View Post

the 10 seconds thingy is normal for this error might even take longer...
If you flattened the solderballs below the GPU the xbox would show 0001 or 0003 as it would shorten out...
just do it properly and it will work wait for the yellowish/golden glance thats the sign that the solder has reflowed...

Hrm yeah well, I've heated the bitch up again, to the point showing golden etc like you said.

It shows an overheating error 0011 (takes a few secs to show). I looked between the CPU/GPU and Mobo, and can see the solder balls, they seem to look fine.

Grr, why wouldn't it work haha, It worked with a simple under the board fix then its now insanely hard to get it working hrm..

#10 Zoneout

Zoneout

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:01 AM

Now finally it's something different, 0010 - Southbridge problem

#11 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE(Zoneout @ May 3 2008, 06:37 AM) View Post

Now finally it's something different, 0010 - Southbridge problem

LOL
Am not sure if this is a good sign sleep.gif
Time to heatgun the Southpridge tongue.gif

#12 Zoneout

Zoneout

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:12 AM

Haha, I've basically going around in circles, its back to the bloody 0002 when I put it all back together with the x clamp replacement (not when loosened but always something else), f**k, I give up haha.

Thanks very much by the way smile.gif. it seems hard to fix, I dunno any reflowers in VIC Australia, as that could help.

Edited by Zoneout, 03 May 2008 - 09:31 AM.

#13 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE(Zoneout @ May 3 2008, 10:48 AM) View Post

Haha, I've basically going around in circles, its back to the bloody 0002 when I put it all back together with the x clamp replacement (not when loosened but always something else), f**k, I give up haha.

Thanks very much by the way smile.gif. it seems hard to fix, I dunno any reflowers in VIC Australia, as that could help.

Try the oventrick as a last resort....
Maybe you are lucky...

#14 aussie0275

aussie0275

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:02 PM

hey zoneout check your pm please

#15 Zoneout

Zoneout

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:46 PM

The most stubborn 360 to date.

The final verdict:

---------------------
7min 225 Degrees

Cool

7Min 230 Degrees

---------------------
The most errors the 360 done at once that I've seen heh.

Well I guess I can say it's not worth retrievable (9 hours)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users