RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:58 PM

Since no one has any idea exactly what controller you're talking about and you've posted no pics of it no one is going to have a clue how it's designed, plus this is a PS3 forum, and not a 3rd party, poorly built, PS3 knockoff controller and that's why you're having those issues with the thing forum, but I digress.

All controllers have a dead zone for the Sticks, that's the area where the Stick is at 'rest' and no movement happens. If they didn't have this dead zone they would constantly be moving in one direction or another, which is referred to as Stick drift and is a different issue.

Not all controllers use the same type of Sticks, the part on the actual board, and 3rd party controllers are renown for having pretty rotten ones in them anyway, as well as being soldered to the board in a right crappy way which makes removing them a PITA for someone not familiar with desoldering, not to be confused with soldering because desoldering something properly, that is without tearing things up in the process, is by far more difficult to learn and then actually do. If they are the same type as ones used in a 360 or PS2 controller they can be swapped out with those better ones, but not from any of the newer PS3 controllers as those are a completely different type of Stick and work differently.

If the controller has a larger dead zone than normal replacing them could sort it out, or the controller could be designed that poorly and there's nothing you can really do about 'tightening' up the dead zone.

If the controller is drifting removing and reinstalling them sometimes will resolve the issue, or replacing them may be necessary.

In either case, you'll have to take the controller apart and see what they are before it can be determined if they can be swapped or not. Also, the Stick 'Cap' (part you see and touch) may or may not fit on a new Stick either, some of them are designed different in that aspect as well.

Edited by RDC, 22 August 2010 - 05:38 PM.

#32 Gamingmodz

Gamingmodz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:17 PM

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to this forum and have a couple questions.I have been experimenting with the new PS# controller VX3 and VX4 and they seem to be giving me a lot of trouble. Sometimes when change Led's the controller goes crazy, and stops functioning normally. What is the cause of this problem? Also, does anyone know power points on the VX3 board?

#33 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:28 AM

The LED layout for the PS3 controllers hasn't changed, it's a Common Anode layout on all of them, so if you're having issues there after swapping the LEDs you should be looking into how you're going about it.

The switched 2.8v source is the same on all of the VX3 and VX4 boards, that's TP13.

#34 Gamingmodz

Gamingmodz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:06 PM

When we change the leds using a 25 w iron, w/ battery out, they sometimes work and sometimes screw the controller up. The controller starts firing and does things randomly. This is very unusual for us. If you can talk by phone,I can pay for you service advice via PayPal.

Oncc the board goes crazy, is there a waY TO FIX THE PROBLEM? Are we burning something out, or screwing up the chip?

#35 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:39 PM

This is the first I've ever even heard of an LED swap making a PS3 controller do something weird.

What all is being done to these controllers that end up not working correctly? Are the LEDs being changed the only thing that's being done? or is there more soldering that's going on?

If you're sure the desoldering and soldering job is being done correctly, then what I'd look at would be the contacts between the controller board and the daughter board. In the bracket that holds the daughter board there is a small black piece of foam that keeps pressure on the connections. If this is missing, and it can just fall out after taking the controller apart sometimes, you'll get buttons that don't work or really random button issues with the controller. The same is true of the contacts on the controller board there, if they are getting dirty or messed up somehow during the LED swap that will cause issues.

#36 Gamingmodz

Gamingmodz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:12 PM

The foam piece is in place and the lights are being taken off the same way as xbox led lights. The problem is xbox works fine playstation not every controller works fine after.
Could it be the PS3 board is more sensitive to heat and a certain type of solder? Can you suggest a specific solder and heat the solder iron should be..
We sync the board to PS3 first then take out the battery to remove the led's. Then we we reconnect battery some controllers work and some dont???

#37 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:18 PM

As long as you're using some type of Rosin core solder for electronics it'll be fine, and I've put the PS3 controller board thru a lot more sever things than changing the LEDs and never had one give me issues like you're describing.

Have you tried pressing the Reset/Off button on the bottom controller?

Try reinstalling the stock Red LEDs and see how it works. If they're still acting up after that and you like, PM me about looking at a couple of them, really not much else I can suggest without seeing what's going on exactly.

#38 Gamingmodz

Gamingmodz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:24 PM

Hey Man,

I tried everything and it seems not too listen. The ps3 board starts malfunctioning, and never goes back to its original state. I can mail you the controller for you review. Please email me your address at alex@gamingmod.com. We need to get this resolved.

#39 odingalt

odingalt

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:29 AM

New VX5 circuit board is out. We found one today when opening some jungle green controllers. I am not hosting the image on my URL, and XBOXSCENE doesn't allow attachments, so I'll leave it up to the gurus to get out new board scans.

#40 i7vSa7vi7y

i7vSa7vi7y

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

There is a new circuit board. The controllers have a matte finish now. The TP spots would be nice to have up.

#41 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE(i7vSa7vi7y @ Feb 3 2012, 01:32 AM) View Post
There is a new circuit board. The controllers have a matte finish now. The TP spots would be nice to have up.

Then either send it to me or get out your camera and DMM, because right now all 16 versions that I've run across are already on here.

#42 birdman1967

birdman1967

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:25 AM

QUOTE(RDC @ Feb 4 2012, 12:14 PM) View Post

Then either send it to me or get out your camera and DMM, because right now all 16 versions that I've run across are already on here.

I too have noticed they changed he packaging and the PS3 controllers. I went to my local Best Buy and the controllers were in new packaging and had a new look to the finish. I am looking to mod these controllers so I am hoping that you get some info on the TP spots soon. Thanks for everything you do on these forums, its so helpful.

#43 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

You're Welcome, but what it's packaged in has little bearing on the version.

The last one I opened up was a week or so ago, which was a Red controller that was in the newer style packaging and it was only a VX5, which is already documented on here. So again, if there's some alternate or newer version that everyone wants to see, then you're either going to have to..

Again, break out the camera and DMM (it's only going to take a couple of hours or so to do it properly, if you enjoy it and can keep at it that long with no breaks, or just have a glutton for punishment after already doing it, so far, 16 times)

Wait until I run across it, in the 'wild' as it were, (because I'm not independently wealthy and go out buying up PS3 controllers to tear them apart looking for different versions), or

Send it to be documented and wait for the results, which no one has ever done, (because I don't get paid for any of this either, it's a courtesy I extend that has been abused more than appreciated as I can count on one hand, with digits to spare, the number of people that have said thanks when they've used the pics)

#44 odingalt

odingalt

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

RDC,

My staff ran across two "Rev 1.06: Asuka PCB Made in China" circuit boards this week, when we expected to see VX5 circuit boards. These were wireless PS3 controllers that were ordered using the latest Sony SKU# 99013 for white wireless DualShock3 sixaxis controllers. Staff sent me a phone camera picture by text message (attached below). I am leaving for a vacation in Hawaii tomorrow, so unfortunately I won't be able to take hi-res pictures or even put an oscilloscope onto these until I get back on the 23rd.

By the way - thank you for posting the VX5 board scans and pics of the modified battery. I'm ashamed to not have contributed board scans for the VX5 when I got my hands on one early.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE JOYSTICKS. Sony returning to the "three leg" potentiometer type joysticks to save money?

IPB Image

Edited by odingalt, 14 February 2012 - 10:25 AM.

#45 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:15 AM

QUOTE(odingalt @ Feb 14 2012, 03:16 AM) View Post
RDC,

By the way - thank you for posting the VX5 board scans and pics of the modified battery. I'm ashamed to not have contributed board scans for the VX5 when I got my hands on one early.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE JOYSTICKS. Sony returning to the "three leg" potentiometer type joysticks to save money?

You're Welcome, and thanks for posting up that pic.

That thing looks more like a 3rd party controller to me. None of the TP spots have anything in common with any other version of PS3 controller. The way the silkscreen is missing from components, that Reset switch, Analog sticks. The Accelerometer having 2 spots is nothing new, but they've always had it laid out one on each side of the board, not both right next to each other. Curious to see the other side of that board now.

Parts of it seem kind of Sony, but most of it just doesn't look like them at all. If they've decided to go this route with the controllers, then I'd wager they've saved a ton of money on making them, both in parts and the quality of the PCBs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users