154 replies to this topic

#61 kernal_sandars

kernal_sandars

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE(RDC @ Jun 13 2012, 10:14 AM) View Post

You wouldn't need to change the bracket and everything, just the FPC is all, the thin plastic Daughter board.

There isn't a tutorial for that specific version that I know of.

There's all kinds of room for LEDs, when you're using 0603 SMT size ones that is, to put it at the top or bottom edge of the PS button. It doesn't have to shine up from under the button to light it up. You can get a 3mm one stuffed in there, but it's more work than it needs to be also.

ah i was trying to figure out how to fit a 3mm one in there, im def going to go with the 0603 SMD now that you mentioned it. i might even get one of those clear start and select buttons off ebay and glow that bitch up, i never even considered using those

thanks a whole lot, you were a big help.

#62 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,789 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

Welcome.

#63 bobrocka387

bobrocka387

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

First and foremost let me just say THANK YOU. This is simply amazing. Its so easy to find everything, its all label nice and neat. Your the $h!t.

But...unfortunately I am a noob at modding and electronics in general. I wanted to know if I wanted to wire a tactile button to my O button how would I go about doing this. I have a VX3 controller a lil beat up but I figure I should practice with the crappy controller first. So...obviously (fingers crossed) I have to wire one leg of the switch to the trace on the pcb that you have marked as O, my question is where to wire the other leg? Thanks for the help.

#64 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

Welcome.

All versions of the PS3 controllers use the same 3 Common line setup..

COM1 for the Left side, D-pad L1 and L2
COM2 for the Right side, X, O, [ ], /\, R1 and R2
COM3 for the Middle, Select, Start, L3 and R3.

On the VX3 TP18 is COM2 (first page of thread) so TP18 + O = O button.

#65 DesireX69

DesireX69

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

Ok so.. i really need a direct answer. im new to the modding. i'm trying to add another Circle button for easyer access i have posted on many modding forums and none has answered me at all.
my controller is a MSU_VX4 PS3 Controller obvious lol. but anyways i looked at the pictures and i see

its laid out nice and neat but for the Pushbutton Switch can someone upload a picture of the VX4
and Put a Red dot and a Black dot on where to place the PushButton Switches wires? like exactly where they need to be soldered? so i dont mess up and break my only controller >_< which would make me sad.

Thanks for any help cause i really want to mod my controller since i have never modded a controller before.
happy.gif Please and thanks! get all my stuff im going to need tomorrow. so hopefully by then you guys answer me
if not well i can wait. happy.gif

#66 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

If you need it done for you in that kind of detail then you're probably better off having someone just do it for you so it's done correctly.

The VX4 version board's spots are right there on the first page of this thread with all of the other controller versions TP spots, and they are all already clearly marked.

The orange dot above the O in the VX4 pic is for the O button, and then the same thing that applies to all PS3 controllers about the COM lines, that is stated in the reply above your post, as well as in the TP spots section, goes for the controller as well, in short that is, TP18 is the COM line for the O button. TP18 and the orange dot are the spots you'll use for the new O button.

#67 DesireX69

DesireX69

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Well no i dont need it done for me but thanks for the thought happy.gif.
and i was confused on where to solder cause there is muti colors in different locations so i need to know where exactly. The orange DOT is one spot now where does the other wire need to be soldered to? the SL Purple DOT? thats all is im confused as to where happy.gif

#68 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

You clearly haven't bothered to read anything in this entire thread, or even the reply I posted.

TP18 is the COM line for the O button. TP18 and the orange dot are the spots you'll use for the new O button.

TP18, which has been clearly marked already by Sony on the board, with the white TP18 next to it and the circle around it, can also easily be seen in the pic of the VX4 there.

#69 DesireX69

DesireX69

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

I read all the post just like i said i have never ever done this type of modding so its all new to me and i want
to be sure before i attempt something. and like i said it was all colored so i didnt know if he colored the TP18
or if it was not colored at all. but now i know it was not and it was what i was thinking all along.
I'm sorry for being a moron but this isnt really newb friendly. and by newb i mean brand spanking new. happy.gif
So sorry if i made you want to how do men say it nowadays? Smacka hoe? anyways you
cleared it all up and now i know and im glad that you helped me wrap my head around this.
now i understand how this all works and the pictures explains alot more then it did 10minutes ago. Thanks happy.gif
If i could hug you i would. happy.gif

#70 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

It's about as newb friendly as it can get when it comes to the PS3 controllers. They're not your grandaddies controller by a long shot. If you haven't even had the thing open yet, then you'll probably be shocked to see that those spots are around 20 times smaller than what they look like in the pics there, a dime will cover most of the area in those pics. It's also not a controller I'd recommend cutting your teeth on, especially if you don't want to tank it during the process.

#71 DesireX69

DesireX69

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

Well i have opened it up and looked at it its not bad will be harder then most of the stuff i have done.
But im gonna go for it happy.gif Well thank you again for all the help!!! hope it ends well happy.gif Hey forgot to ask

What type of Pushbutton switch should i get?

A Normally Open Pushbutton Momentary Switch? or could you link me one from Radioshack? or should i buy them from
somewhere else?

Edited by DesireX69, 31 July 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#72 bobrocka387

bobrocka387

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:22 AM

Thanks RDC.

Unfortunately I got impatient and went ahead and did it before you replied (wish I had waited). Destroyed both my controllers, dropped a big glob of solder on the one processor and melted the other daughter board to bits, but managed to bubblegum them together, got the button on and everything, but now my R1 doesnt work =[. Working on getting it fixed as I type this (waiting for the iron to heat up). At the risk of sounding like a fan boy I just wanted to say how much I appreciate what you guys are doing here It's really a big help.

***EDIT*** Destroyed it, hate my life

Edited by bobrocka387, 02 August 2012 - 02:41 AM.

#73 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:19 AM

@ DesireX69 - Any N.O. type of switch will work, it's more of a personal preference what you decide to put in there as well as what will fit. One of the more typical switches used is the 6x6x7mm Tact switch, that can be found at Mouser, DigiKey and the like.

@ bobrocka387 - I doubt destroyed is the best definition, Daughter board is for sure as that's not meant to be soldered on, or even near, but those can be replaced. A solder blob doesn't mean it's ruined anything, just shorted things that shouldn't touch, and they can be removed in most cases without using the iron, and even if it was made into a mess of all the pins on the MCU shorted together it can still be removed. Even damaged traces and Vias can be repaired, though not typically by the same person that made them that way. wink.gif

#74 DesireX69

DesireX69

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:01 AM

Ok back after buying the stuff for the mod.

Thanks for telling my the info i needed in the detail i asked of.

I opened it up and started working on it. guess what? i did it! all buttons work and everything switch works
Perfectly! i also went ahead and wired in some extra LED's for the PS Button! all work perfectly. Though i have noticed When holding down PS Button to get to the shutdown menu ETC. it wont let me use X only O to go back
But i can just tap the PS Button and go to the normal menu and exit game from there. not really a problem but its the only flaw there is! Thank you all for giving this info out to the public im happy with the finished mod.

#75 pnutbutter-n-jam

pnutbutter-n-jam

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:37 AM

Thanks RDC for putting this thread together.

I'm modding my controller (MSU_V2) by adding 4 extra buttons (X,/\,O,[]). I've already mapped the TP points, soldered each wire and tested them to make sure they work (they do). The solder points are about as good as I can get them to be, but they are still pretty fragile. My question is, can I cover the entire soldered area with a layer of non-conductive epoxy? Granted that I ensure the solder points do not touch each other?

Also, I don't plan on changing the mod once its finished.

Thanks,

peanut

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users