#46 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:26 AM

you just need to get to know your car. Know where that sweet spot is and you will do fine

#47 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:23 PM

you use MPH over there?

on my trip to austin this past weekend the highway was wide open. made to 120 mph before the cruiser pulled up behind me.... oddly i didnt get pulled over unsure.gif

#48 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Jun 5 2008, 08:59 AM) View Post
on my trip to austin this past weekend the highway was wide open. made to 120 mph before the cruiser pulled up behind me.... oddly i didnt get pulled over unsure.gif
heheh... on a road tip to NJ I found out my WRX had a "fsk you! Slow Down!" alarm that went off around 132MPH rolleyes.gif scared the sh*t out of me laugh.gif

#49 o The Drizzle o

o The Drizzle o

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:11 PM

everyday on my way home from highschool i was always take the back way...
so there was this back road that barely anyone was ever on... i was able to get my impreza up to like 105 everyday before id brake for a stop sign...
i miss that car sad.gif

#50 yayupp

yayupp

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Computers
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE(hamwbone @ May 3 2008, 02:15 PM) View Post

how cute, scared of driving... lol biggrin.gif

you should try come driving in texas. its like nascar, a monster truck rally and a drunken riding lawn mower race all one road.

HAHA I agree! oh and plus the stupid highschool girls who think the white border around a stop sign means its optional to stop.

#51 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Jun 5 2008, 01:59 PM) View Post

you use MPH over there?

Ya MPH, we have millions of speed cameras in this country, even if you try to go above 60/70Mph or slightly above the 30/40/50 zones you will get a fine and maybe 3 points (bad) on your license, so many points and your license gets taking of you.

Edited by bucko, 05 June 2008 - 10:21 PM.

#52 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:59 PM

Wow today was awesome glad I read about roundabouts in the highway code last night cause I did my first of them today went round 7 or so I think (we have lots of roundabouts in this country) and I did my first traffic lights today did about 4 of them and one was a busy right (middle lane turn) but I was carm and collective all the way through my gears were so much better today it was almost natural and went into 5th for the first time, took me almost 10 seconds to find it but I found 5th no problem and I went up to 60Mph for the first time biggrin.gif.

It was great didn't stall it once today and was doing a lot of stopping and starting (behind bus's etc) so great clutch practise. Was a great lesson she said my feet were going across the pedals (obviously we have 3 one for clutch) much better and more natural. But I'm so happy my gear changes were good even down shifting was good.

#53 commandersafi

commandersafi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:29 AM

QUOTE(bucko @ Jun 11 2008, 09:35 AM) View Post

It was great didn't stall it once today and was doing a lot of stopping and starting (behind bus's etc) so great clutch practise. Was a great lesson she said my feet were going across the pedals (obviously we have 3 one for clutch) much better and more natural. But I'm so happy my gear changes were good even down shifting was good.

Good job man. I just learned how to drive standard when i got my car a couple months ago. Soon it will be like a second nature to use the clutch and change gears.

#54 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:42 PM

An update, now had 14 lessons, but I just passed my driving theory test yay! 49 out of 50 (on the questions you need 43 to pass) & 58 out of 75 (need 44 to pass on hazard perception) = PASS WOOOO!! I found the hazard perception really hard, on one video i even scored only 2.

Now I have 2 years from now if I don't pass my practical to keep taking it. Woo, hopefully ill only need another 10 lessons or so. I did my first 3 point turns recently I think all I have left now is parallel parking.

But WOW I'M SO HAPPY TO PASS MY THEORY!!!!!!!!!!! (you need to pass it here before you can even take your practical to get a driving license).

#55 mysticrider92

mysticrider92

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE(bucko @ Aug 8 2008, 11:18 AM) View Post
I did my first 3 point turns recently I think all I have left now is parallel parking.

Ooohhh... fun... wink.gif Nah, seriously, parallel parking isn't too bad, just pay close attention to what your driving instructor and manual says. I messed that up on my road test (wrong angle, had to pull back out and start over), but still managed to do the parking correctly and pass the test. Just take it slow and follow the directions, you will be fine. You have the added bonus of small cars over there, not like backing in a full size sedan...

#56 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:17 AM

smile.gif but now I passed my theory it's a load of wait of my mind, I think I have a 3 point left turn to learn on monday then (I don't know if ill do it in the same hour) do the parallel parking, I know someone else she teaches and apparently she learnt parking in a supermarket car park so hopefully it should be ok first time smile.gif. I get on really well with my instructor shes very understanding and easy to get on with so hopefully it won't be to hard. I've only panicked once in all the lessons so I'm not to worried.

#57 gcskate27

gcskate27

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts
  • Interests:video games, prgramming, comps, skateboarding, cooking, taking care of my lizards and dachshund
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:40 PM

ive been driving over 12 years in the states but recently moved over to the UK and get to do all this crap all over... laugh.gif

will probably start soon as we'll be getting a car in the near future... tons of fun being chauffeured when you're used to being the one driving... dry.gif

i need to study for the theory as the signs here are drastically different to the states but the only problem i foresee with driving here is the side of the car you're on... manual transmission, wrong side of the road, roundabouts, etc i dont see as being much of a problem...

i also had my harley sportster shipped over so i get to do the learning thing twice! extra fun... anyone know how the learning/license thing works for motorcycles in the UK? in the US they practically throw a license at you when you walk in the door...

#58 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(gcskate27 @ Aug 10 2008, 04:16 PM) View Post

ive been driving over 12 years in the states but recently moved over to the UK and get to do all this crap all over... laugh.gif

will probably start soon as we'll be getting a car in the near future... tons of fun being chauffeured when you're used to being the one driving... dry.gif

i need to study for the theory as the signs here are drastically different to the states but the only problem i foresee with driving here is the side of the car you're on... manual transmission, wrong side of the road, roundabouts, etc i dont see as being much of a problem...

i also had my harley sportster shipped over so i get to do the learning thing twice! extra fun... anyone know how the learning/license thing works for motorcycles in the UK? in the US they practically throw a license at you when you walk in the door...

Spend about 40 for the DSA Theory Test CD, Hazard Perception DVD and the book (with 500 pages) you will pass the theory. I'm thinking about selling my stuff, it's the 2007/8 editions and has all the road signs and everything. I didn't understand half the road signs but revising my theory made it all the more sense. The theory puts everything you do into practise into sense. Imho I don't think USA have such a thing, now with 50 questions and hazard test it's needed for all these idiot drivers on the road making my insurance 1000 a year grr.gif.

I don't think the left hand drive thing will be to hard, my mate drives an American Chevy 4x4 with the steering wheel on the wrong side, when he gets into a normal car it's almost natural for him to drive it. So with practise it's ok I guess. I'd also mention be careful overtaking, since you will be doing the opposite. And always look in your mirrors, motorbike users can come out of no were, someone overtook me then overtook another driver in the front on the left hand side once in one of my lessons!

Edit, motorbike theory is Cat C I think and same for test so make sure you say.

Edited by bucko, 11 August 2008 - 11:08 AM.

#59 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:09 PM

i dont know about people with foreign licences but new riders MUST complete the CBT (compulsary bike training) before then can legally ride a bike on the roads, then after that you have to pass the theory test and you can drive with L plates for 2 years i belive, more than enough time for a licence.

Perhaps you will only be required to sit a retest, like the driving licence.

PS. where in UK did you move to?

Edited by grim_d, 24 August 2008 - 11:09 PM.

#60 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:42 PM

Well I had my 18th lesson earlier, everything went perfect accept at the last minute going back to my house I stalled it on our could de sac cause we are down hill. Almost everything was perfect I couldn't believe I stalled it. I think I've fixed my 2nd to 3rd gear issue as well. I'm hoping another 5 to 10 lessons ill be ready. I had this stupid kid playing chicken on the road he nearly run into the car, my instructor jokingly said we should just run him over! Oh I also did some parallel parking last week and that went ok, just need more practise XD.

Edited by bucko, 27 August 2008 - 02:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users