• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:28 PM

I think I've fixed my 2nd to 3rd gear issue as well.

Probably a little late but ....
when shifting just remember that if you take your hand off the shifter while in neutral it will naturally center itself, lining up exactly with the gates for 3rd and 4th.

So when shifting from 2nd to 3rd you'll want to pop it out of gear then let the shifter naturally center itself then push it straight forward into 3rd without pulling it in towards you.

Same thing when downshifting from 5th into 4th... let it center itself and then just pull straight back. wink.gif

I know lots of people who drive stick who try to pull/push side to side and end up over shifting or mashing up the gates when they try to shift quickly. You shouldn't be putting any lateral pressure on the shifter when going into 3rd or 4th not matter which gear you're coming from.

Edited by twistedsymphony, 27 August 2008 - 03:29 PM.

#62 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,995 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Aug 27 2008, 04:04 PM) View Post

Probably a little late but ....
when shifting just remember that if you take your hand off the shifter while in neutral it will naturally center itself, lining up exactly with the gates for 3rd and 4th.

So when shifting from 2nd to 3rd you'll want to pop it out of gear then let the shifter naturally center itself then push it straight forward into 3rd without pulling it in towards you.

Same thing when downshifting from 5th into 4th... let it center itself and then just pull straight back. wink.gif

I know lots of people who drive stick who try to pull/push side to side and end up over shifting or mashing up the gates when they try to shift quickly. You shouldn't be putting any lateral pressure on the shifter when going into 3rd or 4th not matter which gear you're coming from.

Ya someone told me that, I think thats what I've started doing. Let it go into the centre, it seems to work better, and I can sense where 2nd gear is. Anyway I'm thinking of buying the Logitech GT wheel with a manual gear stick it might give me better practise laugh.gif.

#63 melongstrike

melongstrike

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

Have fun with it... I remembered 1 of my 1st lessons (I ended up on the sidewalk)

I ended up getting my license around my 22 birthday.

#64 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderator
  • 7,995 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:19 PM

Ya, I stalled it again 3 times yesterday, it's starting to annoy me, I do almost everything right and sometimes I just go through this phase of stalling it. I really don't know why, it probably because I'm getting no other practise. Shame insurance is to high to get insured on my mums car. Although in some positive news my instructor said i maybe ready next month to book my test at the end of this month.

If I fail the first time at least I know what it feels like to go through it all so I'm not that fussed, but she wants me to pass first time. At least I don't panic when I stall it, it just kinda annoys me, and it puts a downer on the whole lesson for me, but oh well, I did some complicated changing lane driving yesterday (there was about 5 lanes on this road yesterday) I kinda coped alright, done it before but this time it seemed better.

I do feel like I can drive, it's just the tiny little things that are buging me at the moment. If I do book my test ill be taking 2 lessons a week from then on instead of one. I aint gonna tell anyone when my test is though, cause the whole good luck thing seems to put more pressure on me.

Edited by bucko, 02 September 2008 - 09:21 PM.

#65 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderator
  • 7,995 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:20 PM

Passed it today, long time coming, 4th time lucky!!

Stalled it twice again on manoeuvres but put handbrake on /neutral he said that was find couple of hesitants but that will be find when my confidence comes I wont be hesitant...

I was starting to think I would be unlucky every time, but it was so nice and sunny and I think Karms and Rescue Remedy helped me a lot to (especially with sleep the night before)!!

#66 sabbath_dude

sabbath_dude

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Rock music, Beer
  • Xbox Version:v1.6c
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:28 PM

Congrats!. Passing your test and getting your license is an awesome feeling (but I'm sure you know this right now tongue.gif ). Take it easy the first few times you go out on your own though!.

#67 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderator
  • 7,995 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ Mar 23 2010, 01:28 PM) View Post

Congrats!. Passing your test and getting your license is an awesome feeling (but I'm sure you know this right now tongue.gif ). Take it easy the first few times you go out on your own though!.

Ya I know I don't even have a car yet laugh.gif might be driving in Italy though for Supermarket runs should be fun converting to the right side. cool.gif

#68 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE(bucko @ Mar 23 2010, 08:35 AM) View Post

Ya I know I don't even have a car yet laugh.gif might be driving in Italy though for Supermarket runs should be fun converting to the right side. cool.gif

And by "right" you mean correct side..... biggrin.gif

#69 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:00 PM

well its about damn time

#70 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE(StrictPuppet @ Mar 23 2010, 03:45 PM) View Post

And by "right" you mean correct side..... biggrin.gif

damn island dwellers and their wrong side of the road laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users