• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sirganon

sirganon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:45 AM

ok first of all i want to say that every time i try to search it gives me an error so please dont get mad because i did try searching.

ok, i have a 160gb hdd installed already in my hard-modded xbox and i want to put in a 250gb hdd that i have because im almost out of space. i cant seem to find a clear tutorial for what i want to do. i want to keep all the stuff from my 160gb drive and put it on my 250gb one. i have UnleashX and XBMC as the two main dashboards that i use. i was just wondering if you guys could maybe point me in the right direction to any good tutorials and/or let me know what programs im going to need to do this. links to any tutorials would be helpful but ill just need names of programs. i know how to find them. thanks in advance for any help.

#2 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:17 AM

When your console is chipped, things are really simple:

1. If you have a PC with an IDE connection, use this:
a. Unlock your 160gb hdd (if it is locked).
b. Connect it to your PC's IDE connection.
c. Get any 1:1 disc cloning program like Acronis True Image. I use a free tool called SelfImage.
d. Clone the hdd to image file.
e. Switch over to 250gb hdd.
f. Dump the cloned image to 250gb hdd.
g. Swap the 250gb hdd over to xbox.
h. Lock it if you want.

2. If you only have your xbox, use this:
a. Get chimp26 and molex power splitter (or borrow power from USB/IDE enclosure) to power 250gb hdd
b. Skip to step d if yours is not a xbox ver 1.6.
c. Get a crossover Ethernet cable. Configure PC IP address to 192.168.0.2. Telnet to 192.168.0.3
d. Run chimp's default.xbe.
e. Hotswap DVD IDE to 250gb hdd.
f. Use number options (1,2,3,4) to select the options you want. Or use the controller to select.
g. Lock it if you want when cloning done.
h. Swap over the 250gb to hdd IDE connection. (You can power off to do this, no need hotswap)

#3 sirganon

sirganon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:53 AM

thanks ill try this. i also downloaded xboxhdm 1.9 which ive been reading is pretty easy to use. my computer is sata though so im gonna have to wait for my brother to get home so i can use his...unless i get one of those molex power splitters. but thanks for the information.

one more quick question. if im going to copy almost 160gb of information from one drive to the other am i going to have to keep switching the IDE cable back and forth while it copies the drive or do you know how that will work exactly?

#4 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:00 AM

1. For PC: if you have 2 IDE connections, you don't have to switch. If the disc cloning prog supports 1:1 disc cloning, go ahead. Connect source and target hdd , each to its own IDE connection.

2. For xbox, there are only 2 IDE connections. 1 for DVD and 1 for hdd. So you need to do 2 switches. Once before the cloning starts, and once after it is done. 1st time to connect to the DVD IDE for your 250gb hdd (target) and when cloning done, connect to hdd IDE so as to replace the old hdd.

#5 sirganon

sirganon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:29 AM

oh so when i use the chimp26 program ill attach the 250gb drive to the DVD connection so the two hard drives are connected at the same time? that would make a lot of sense and seems really easy.

#6 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:37 AM

Yup. Connect 250gb(target) to dvd ide and old hdd(source) to hdd ide. Only complication is for xbox 1.6, there's no display hence the telnet is needed. Once you telnet in, use the number options 1,2,3,4 etc as the arrow keys don't work. If you have xbox 1.0 to 1.5, no need to telnet. But using xbox to clone hdd is very very slow tongue.gif

#7 sirganon

sirganon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:40 AM

i dont remember what version my xbox is but i know its not a 1.6, and im sure using the xbox is slow, but its probably much faster than waiting for my brother to come around...slacker. well thanks for all the help. this is going to be a lot easier than i imagined.

#8 jim622

jim622

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:12 PM

Can you post your results here when you are done?

Thanks
jim622

#9 sirganon

sirganon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:54 AM

sure, it will be a day or two still probably because im waiting on a few parts.

one thing Idotsfan (or anyone else that know the answer to this) should i format the 250gb drive before trying to clone it or will the cloning process just overwrite anything that may be on there? also, will it create a G: drive? i have an F: drive on my 160 but not a G:

#10 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:32 PM

Chimp is a byte-to-byte copy so it overrides everything on target hdd.

#11 sirganon

sirganon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:51 PM

ok i finally got that molex Y splitter and im trying to use chimp26 which in my apps menu is chimp 2.4. the thing is that when i press A and choose to run chimp it starts but quickly gives me a screen saying

Error opening linuxboot.cfg
Error open file

what am i supposed to do to fix that? i put the UDATA folder in there correctly with the .xbe file moved to the UDATA folder and all the other folders and files are still in there normal places.

i got the chimp files from here:
Chimp files
and i followed the tutorial here:
Chimp tutorial

any help would be greatly appreciated

***EDIT***
i got it running. the tutorial says to move the default.xbe file from the 62D648EBF155 folder to the UDATA folder but you are supposed to move all of the files from the 62D648EBF155 folder to the UDATA folder

will post results when im finished

Edited by sirganon, 13 May 2008 - 06:01 PM.

#12 sirganon

sirganon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:46 AM

ok well chimps apparently cloned the 160gb drive to the 250gb drive, but now i have a problem.
my F partition says that its about 230gb total and that there is only about 4gb free. none of the things that were on the 160gb F partition are showing up on the new drive and i should have like 90gb free, not 4. any ideas whats going on and/or how to fix it? there is also a G partition but that has no space on it so its pretty much useless right now. so approximately 226gb arent showing up for some reason and i have no idea why or how to get it back.

please help

btw, the C and D partitions copied just fine and when i put the jumper on the new hard drive to master it boots like normal.

oh, i also have 4981.06 bios if that is relevant

Edited by sirganon, 14 May 2008 - 09:57 AM.

#13 sirganon

sirganon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:21 AM

sorry for all the posts in a row, its not letting me edit my other post a second time. just wanted to say i used XBpartition (found it at xbins) and got the F partition formatted correctly so now i can use the entire hard drive. only thing is that im gonna have to keep switching the two drives so i can copy some files to my computer and then back to the new drive. its gonna suck but i dont know any other way seeing as how i cant have both hard drives hooked up at the same time.

#14 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:27 PM

Why not ftp the contents out to PC and then transfer it back to the new hdd?

Apparently you cloned by partitions and not the whole drive? Cloning whole drive will be a 1:1 copy and the F drive/G drive should follow the old hdd. Now it seems old hdd is all space to F drive and new hdd is F/G split at 137gb.

#15 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:00 PM

I took a look at the chimp's source code. Is there a U drive for you to select? You can try that as an alternative to ftping everything out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users