• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kurney

kurney

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:13 PM

Hey all, I recently purchased a red-ringing 360 off eBay. I was told that it hadn't been tampered with and it had just been opened to see if anything was obviously wrong. When I got it delivered, I discovered that the X-Clamp fix done, I only took a quick look to see if they were there or not as I was off to a friends house. I was obviously disappointed with the seller. When I got home the next day, I was going to fix it by redoing the X-Clamp fix. As I unscrewed the original X-Clamp bolts that the previous owner had put there, I discovered that it was an extremely botched job, there was only one M5 metal washer between the screw heads and the board, and there was none whatsoever between the board and heatsinks. So I re-did the fix (using more washers this time) and, it didn't work, which I wasn't too surprised about. So I let it bake with the fans laying on top of the CPU heatsink for about 25 minutes I think, and then I let it cool. So I switched the bolts round a bit and stuff like that, and the next time I switched it on, the fans didn't work. I thought this could be something to do with me spinning them manually a couple of times, but I don't think this would break them. There's a tiny bit of insulation chipped of at one point in the red wire, bit it doesn't look wire deep. So I left the 360 for a week or two under my bed, and today I've brought it out again as I want to do something with it. I sent a message to the seller a while back, and he said something about it not being his fault because it was his friends or something, and apologized, but didn't mention a partial refund or anything, so I just left it at that. The error code, I think is 0001, which is strange because this is mentioned as a power supply fault. I know there is nothing wrong with my power supply as I have used it with other 360's that worked, and it was fine. So my question is, what should I do? Should I sell it? Got any potential fixes? Any advice?
Thanks in advance, Kurney

#2 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE(kurney @ May 4 2008, 08:49 PM) View Post

Hey all, I recently purchased a red-ringing 360 off eBay. I was told that it hadn't been tampered with and it had just been opened to see if anything was obviously wrong. When I got it delivered, I discovered that the X-Clamp fix done, I only took a quick look to see if they were there or not as I was off to a friends house. I was obviously disappointed with the seller. When I got home the next day, I was going to fix it by redoing the X-Clamp fix. As I unscrewed the original X-Clamp bolts that the previous owner had put there, I discovered that it was an extremely botched job, there was only one M5 metal washer between the screw heads and the board, and there was none whatsoever between the board and heatsinks. So I re-did the fix (using more washers this time) and, it didn't work, which I wasn't too surprised about. So I let it bake with the fans laying on top of the CPU heatsink for about 25 minutes I think, and then I let it cool. So I switched the bolts round a bit and stuff like that, and the next time I switched it on, the fans didn't work. I thought this could be something to do with me spinning them manually a couple of times, but I don't think this would break them. There's a tiny bit of insulation chipped of at one point in the red wire, bit it doesn't look wire deep. So I left the 360 for a week or two under my bed, and today I've brought it out again as I want to do something with it. I sent a message to the seller a while back, and he said something about it not being his fault because it was his friends or something, and apologized, but didn't mention a partial refund or anything, so I just left it at that. The error code, I think is 0001, which is strange because this is mentioned as a power supply fault. I know there is nothing wrong with my power supply as I have used it with other 360's that worked, and it was fine. So my question is, what should I do? Should I sell it? Got any potential fixes? Any advice?
Thanks in advance, Kurney

0001 can be a short on the mainboard if it is not the PSU...
So check the mainboard for metal chippings and everything else that might shorten something out...
It might be the fan as you said, unplug it and try to power it up...
It could also be that you tightened the screws of the GPU heatsink too much if you did the heatsink is shorting out a capacitor...

#3 kurney

kurney

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:49 PM

Thanks mate, will try those in the morning, as it's getting a bit late, will respond then. smile.gif

#4 kurney

kurney

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:55 AM

Today I have tried loosening the GPU heatsink and running the unit without the fans plugged in, neither of which worked, sadly. The only chipped off paint from the board is where the spring washers have taken a little bit off, nothing serious. I don't know what else to do, I might sell it on eBay again.
Thanks for your help mate.

#5 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:35 PM

Paint on the motherboard? Care to elaborate?

#6 kurney

kurney

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:39 PM

Well, I don't think it's serious, its the little brown rings under where the X-Clamps should be. Around the holes. Is that the problem?

#7 wllazer17

wllazer17

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:56 PM

Those are supposed to be there.

#8 kurney

kurney

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:03 PM

Yeh, I mean the spring washers have chipped a little off, is this serious?

#9 kurney

kurney

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:14 PM

Do you think this fix would work?
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=554316

#10 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:20 PM

If you didnt birdge these components this fix wont help you.
The old 5V connection wasnt shortcircuit protected so a few people accidently shortened it out and had to replace these components cause they fried them...

#11 kurney

kurney

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:33 PM

No I haven't modified the unit, although I am sure one has blown.
I was trying to get pics, but they were out of focus

#12 wllazer17

wllazer17

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:47 AM

Try putting the board in a scanner and upload that to us

Edited by wllazer17, 09 May 2008 - 12:47 AM.

#13 kurney

kurney

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:11 PM

I tried but it's harder because it's on the top of the board, not the bottom.
I'm gonna try the fix, know any uk website to but the MOSFETS from?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users