Faluke

Multiple Accounts

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:59 PM

I purchased this xbox off ebay. It had this chip inside and was giving me Christmas lights. I removed the chip and the box works just fine. I'd like to maybe reflash this chip or repair using this if possible. Problem is, I have no idea what kind of chip this is. I don't think that its an aladdin. Maybe a cheap mod? Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#2 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:07 PM

Well it says aladdin 64 on it, but as it lacks any type of controller chip, it is likely some cheap knock off. Treat it as a cheapmod. If it will not boot, you will need an external programmer, or a hotswap flash... use a 256k bios with that 49LF020.

#3 Faluke

Faluke

Multiple Accounts

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:16 AM

I have two xbox's right now, one TSOP flash and one Xecuter 3. Can I do hotswap flash with either of those?

#4 Faluke

Faluke

Multiple Accounts

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:12 AM

forgot to mention that my xecuter 3 modded box is a 1.6

#5 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:18 AM

You wont be able to hotswap it on the tsop'd box as it needs to boot from the lpc in order to flash it, so you will have to use the x3-1.6 box.

You should be able to use evox to flash, make sure the evox.ini contains this line...
CODE

Flash = 0xbf61,"SST 49LF020",0x40000

And place M8+_16.bin (bios) in the bios folder that should be with your evoxdash.xbe

You will need to boot with the x3 enabled and then, remove it fom the pin header, and place the cheapmod on the pins. The d0(lframe) will need to remain grounded the whole time, and then select flash bios in evox.
You may or may not have the required pins rebuilt if the x3 rebuild board was used, as the xecuter rebuild board omits the 5v pin.

Make sure you set the cheapmod on the pin header the right way....

#6 Faluke

Faluke

Multiple Accounts

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:46 AM

That some great guidance thank you very much. Just a few questions.

1. I installed the xecuter three exactly as instructed using the tutorial on team xecuters website including the soldering of the lpc rebuild kit.

http://www.team-xecu...als/x3pin16.htm

So my question is, when you say that d0 needs to be grounded the whole time, how do I do that in the process that you described.

2. "Make sure that you set the cheapmod on the pin header the right way". What is the right way? The cheapmod has 4 less pin holes than the pin header that the xecuter 3 uses.

Thanks for all your help!

#7 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:07 AM

I am afraid that with pin 6 missing from the LPC you will not be able to flash your chip. You can just try it if you want, but I don't believe it will work.

Set the cheapmod on the header using the pins closest to the front of the xbox, and with the part of the chip hanging off to the left(outside of the box not towards the center)

Evox will just say unknown flash type or something like that if it cannot detect the chip.

#8 Faluke

Faluke

Multiple Accounts

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:07 AM

I've messed with this for hours on end and I keep ending up with Flash is not writable. I don't know how to get power to this chip using the pin header that I have installed for my x3 on this 1.6. I can get evox to say, "ID 09 Device ID 00" but it still says Flas no writable. Oh well, I'll keep trying and maybe I'll get lucky.

I've added the lines you said to in the evox.ini and I've downloaded the correct bios but I can't get my xbox to even see the thing.

Edited by Faluke, 12 May 2008 - 08:09 AM.

#9 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:11 AM

You may need to find a non 1.6 or non x3 pinheadered mobo to do the flash on.

Or manually add 5v to the required place on the cheapmod.

QUOTE(Faluke @ May 12 2008, 12:43 AM) View Post

I can get evox to say, "ID 09 Device ID 00" but it still says Flas no writable. Oh well, I'll keep trying and maybe I'll get lucky.

Yes evox will say this when it cannot "see" a chip on the header

#10 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE(StrictPuppet @ May 12 2008, 10:54 AM) View Post

You wont be able to hotswap it on the tsop'd box as it needs to boot from the lpc in order to flash it, so you will have to use the x3-1.6 box.

Traditionally that is the accepted view. My reason for even suggesting the following is the one success story:
http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4271913

What am I suggesting?

Install a pinheader on the tsop-ed xbox, GND BT and install D0 on your cheapmod clone. But leave it off the pinheader until the console has booted. Then hotswap the chip onto the pinheader to flash it with EvoX. If the softmod in the post(which basically boots the ms kernel off the tsop) can flash a hotswapped cheapmod clone, you might be able to do the same with the tsop-ed xbox as well.

Of course I've no idea if this will actually work but do you have anything to lose?

Edited by ldotsfan, 12 May 2008 - 03:24 PM.

#11 Faluke

Faluke

Multiple Accounts

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:07 PM

All great suggestions. One of my problems is you all keep saying things about grounding the cheapmod and manually adding power and what not but I can't find a guide or a tutorial anywhere that tells me where these points are on this chip labeled aladdin64++

I think that I could get through this if I could find a diagram telling me where to put the chip on the pinheader and what all the points are on this mod.

#12 Faluke

Faluke

Multiple Accounts

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:44 PM

How about this?,

I have a xapter 1.6 (solderless adapter) and a TSOP flashed 1.0.

Can I use the xapter 1.6 and my TSOP flashed 1.0 and maybe even my xecuter 3 to hotswap flash this aladdin64++?

Thanks

#13 Faluke

Faluke

Multiple Accounts

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ May 12 2008, 06:59 AM) View Post

Traditionally that is the accepted view. My reason for even suggesting the following is the one success story:
http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4271913

What am I suggesting?

Install a pinheader on the tsop-ed xbox, GND BT and install D0 on your cheapmod clone. But leave it off the pinheader until the console has booted. Then hotswap the chip onto the pinheader to flash it with EvoX. If the softmod in the post(which basically boots the ms kernel off the tsop) can flash a hotswapped cheapmod clone, you might be able to do the same with the tsop-ed xbox as well.

Of course I've no idea if this will actually work but do you have anything to lose?

Thanks for the link but all the Tut's that I find keep telling me to remove certain wires and and bridge points on the chip etc but if you look at the pic above, I don't have a removable chip and I don't know what wires go where.

#14 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:35 PM

Maybe we should start over here as it is getting quite messed up.

-You have a cheapmod masquerading as an aladdin64++.
-There is no cpld or any other components on the chip other than the flashrom, so there is no bt point to use or needed, basically the chip is always on.
-Your 1.6 mobo has a rebuilt lpc with pinheader, and a manual switch on the lframe(to enable/disable the mod chip.
-It will not boot on your 1.6, but that box works with it removed from the pinheader.
-It is assumed that there is a bad flash on the cheapmod, but it could be an LPC wiring issue.
-You cannot hotswap flash with your x3 box as it is lacking pin 6 (5v)
-You cannot hotswap with your tsop'd box--- just because tongue.gif (that thread that ldotsfan linked to doesn't actually claim sucess)

I suggest you verify the voltages on the lpc, to make sure that the pinheader wiring is good, and borrow or buy a working 3rd gen chip such as a duox2 and do the hotswap on the non x3 mobo. Or buy, build or borrow an external programmer.

#15 Faluke

Faluke

Multiple Accounts

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:48 PM

Thanks Strictpupput that's a perfect recap. I still have just a couple of questions.

I want to verify that the pinheader wiring is good but can't find a tutorial that diagrams how it should be wired. I can't find an install guide for this chip at all. Can you help here?

Next, can I use my x3 chip on my tsop flashed 1.0 to do a hotswap flash? That board has all the correct pinouts on the lpc right? Cant I place my xapter 1.6 on the LPC and boot up that box bypassing the TSOP using the x3 and then do a hotswap flash? Wouldn't that work?

Edited by Faluke, 12 May 2008 - 08:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users