Photo

External Hdd Not Showing Up On Xbox360 (2tb)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick33

Patrick33

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:44 AM

I recently got a 2TB Mybook premium edition II to put my few 500 gig encolsures worth of wmvhds on, and I formatted it to HFS+, then placed all of the data on it. However, when I connected it to the 360 it does not show up, yet my others do. It doesnt even show up when it is the only drive connected. Is it because the drive is too big? Are there size limitations? or is it because it is an enclosure that has (2) 1TB drives in it? Thanks in advance.

#2 carwarr

carwarr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:48 AM

My understanding is that any usb drive that is plugged onto the 360 must be fat32. Are you saying you have tried other usb's formatted with HFS+ at they work? I just did a quick google of HFS+ so I dont know much about it but if that is the case, I would bet you did run into some size limitation.

Hopefully that knows more about this format posts.

Let us know if you find a solution.

QUOTE(Patrick33 @ May 13 2008, 05:20 PM) View Post

I recently got a 2TB Mybook premium edition II to put my few 500 gig encolsures worth of wmvhds on, and I formatted it to HFS+, then placed all of the data on it. However, when I connected it to the 360 it does not show up, yet my others do. It doesnt even show up when it is the only drive connected. Is it because the drive is too big? Are there size limitations? or is it because it is an enclosure that has (2) 1TB drives in it? Thanks in advance.

#3 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:57 AM

HSF+ formatted drives do work just fine. My guess is that it isn't recognized as a generic mass storage device, as those drives end up being in a raid type of configuration.

#4 modchipman84

modchipman84

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:04 AM

For an external Hard drive hooked up directly to the xbox 360 to work it does have to be fat32. you can however hook the external up to your computer, and stream it wired or wirelessly to the xbox 360. i do this with mine and even on large wmv-hd files it works great with little buffering. for it to read the external on the 360 you will first have to add a enableremoteaccesskey registry key to the windows media player under hme preferences. just do a google on enableremoteaccesskey and you should find it easily

#5 thetman

thetman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE(modchipman84 @ May 18 2008, 03:40 AM) View Post

For an external Hard drive hooked up directly to the xbox 360 to work it does have to be fat32. you can however hook the external up to your computer, and stream it wired or wirelessly to the xbox 360. i do this with mine and even on large wmv-hd files it works great with little buffering. for it to read the external on the 360 you will first have to add a enableremoteaccesskey registry key to the windows media player under hme preferences. just do a google on enableremoteaccesskey and you should find it easily

wrong.... the xbox 360 supports HFS+ partitions which is commonly a partition type used by OS X. FAT32 of course has small size limitations and NTFS drivers dont exist for Xbox360.

The only reason why i think your 2tb mybook wouldn't work is like Strictpuppet said, the drive may be using a raid0 chip inside preventing it from working, or maybe JBOD either one.

#6 theironyuppie

theironyuppie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:07 AM

Patrick33: did you have any luck with this?
ive got a 360 but no computer. my brother has a massive library of movies, music, etc. and i was looking at getting a larger external hdd (currently 320gb) to run my media library from.
is there any way to get a 360 to recognise a 2tb wd my book? can u change its so its not configured as raid or am i restricted to a 1tb single drive?
does anyone have anymore information on this?
cheers biggrin.gif

#7 mrgodai

mrgodai

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:50 PM

it might be a EARS drive inside with the new Advance Formating, which causes issues with non Win 7/Vista systems.

Format to FAT32 with ONE partition and run the WD align tool to see if it fix your problem

make sure you have a file on the drive, and try access the drive (connected to the back usb) through freestyle or xexmenu

Edited by mrgodai, 25 March 2010 - 06:58 PM.

#8 JAKUL8

JAKUL8

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:19 PM

hey guys i just bought a 1.5TB wd exturnal hard drive. I downloaded a copy of Hiren's BootCD i ran it and used the fat32 format from the cd to format my exturnal and now having no problems

#9 asics shoes

asics shoes

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:32 AM

wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users