20 replies to this topic

#16 KaylaKaze

KaylaKaze

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE(KaylaKaze @ Feb 23 2009, 07:31 PM) View Post

I just installed the new heatsinks with some Arctic Silver Ceramique and the system's working... for now. The GPU heatsink seems to get hotter than the other one, which I guess means more heat away from the chip so that's good.

Posted too soon. The problem definitely seems to be the GPU overheating as nothing else in the system (except CPU) is warm but the CPU contigency isn't going into effect (faster fan speed and then 2 red lights). Maybe if I could lock the fan at CPU overheat speed it'd keep the GPU cool.

#17 KaylaKaze

KaylaKaze

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:18 AM

QUOTE(KaylaKaze @ Feb 23 2009, 09:17 PM) View Post

Posted too soon. The problem definitely seems to be the GPU overheating as nothing else in the system (except CPU) is warm but the CPU contigency isn't going into effect (faster fan speed and then 2 red lights). Maybe if I could lock the fan at CPU overheat speed it'd keep the GPU cool.

It's not RRODing anymore but it's checkerboard freezing sad.gif

#18 Tortuga2112

Tortuga2112

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Interests:refs: <br />toraxe<br /><br /><br />scammers:<br />none
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:29 AM

checkerboarding , any kinds of spikes , freezing up .
that's all GPU malfunction. reflowing its the only way, but from the sounds of it that board's been through it a few times so its probably not going to last.

#19 KaylaKaze

KaylaKaze

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:56 PM

I don't have the equipment to reflow myself. I've seen some posts places from people offering to reflow for like $30, but obviously you can't know if these people are to be trusted. Is there somewhere with such services offered plus feedback as to their reliability? Or should I just try to pick up a "cheap" 360 on ebay instead of trying a reflow?

Oh, BTW, I taped some paper towel to the bottom of the GPU to provide pressure against the downward pressure of the heatsink (I wish I had the original X clamps 'cause they'd provide good reverse pressure) and since then it's been working some. I played Saints Row 2 for a few hours before it froze (no checkerboard) and I was able to play some more for a while after that. I haven't had anymore checkerboarding, just freezing.

Edited by KaylaKaze, 27 February 2009 - 05:58 PM.

#20 Tristian7Fire

Tristian7Fire

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:13 AM

I do not think the Heatsink is the problem...

I had 3 Xbox 360 come in that had 0020. The 2 without the encore heatsink could not be fixed.

When observing the heatsink in and of itself, it seemed to work fairly well. Being together, it kept GPU temps down.

The one with the encore actually only took a reflow to the chip temp at 300 degrees F. Everything is back to normal conditions.

My guess is that your problem is connections. It needs a proper reflow. If you do want one from someone who is trusted. I use the Jovy Systems RE-7500 for my reflows and reballs. www.toughgaming.com if you want it.

Cheers!

#21 VitalPros

VitalPros

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:32 AM

I bought a lot of consoles from a guy and all 19 of them were from this place. The consoles are in terrible condition. The flux is still on the board on all the chips. The heatsinks are junk. I have only been able to fix 5 out of the 19 with a reflow. The rest have either been reballed or scrapped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users