Photo

Help A Newbie Get Into Case/hardware Modding!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 VetoIsolation

VetoIsolation

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:39 AM

Hey all!
I've wanted to do a case mod for my 360 since the day I bought it. However, I'd also jump off a ledge if I broke it, so I never got around to doing it. Fortunately, my friend sold me his old 360 that had disk read errors. I figured it'd be a simple process to just yank the DVD drive and replace it, but not only have I found one site that sells Drives that have been tested and are guaranteed (llama.com), but it also mentions that replacing your drive (in my case switching from a Hitach to their Samsung) requires "firmware flashing"with the use of a PC. I have no idea what that means!
Does anyone know how to replace a DVD drive or have a good walkthrough they could link me to?
Also, is this a good place to buy the drive? Do you think it comes with the Xbox 360 Chrome thing?

Case

I also want to do a case mod, and I've decided to go with a Portal theme. I've also got some basic questions about painting. I've read through the Forum's painting guide...
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=465380
...and I think I'll go with Krylon for paint cause I've used it before and it was a relatively inexpensive brand. However, it did scratch in place on my controller, so will the clear coat processes keep that from happening? Whats a good type of clear coat to use?Additionally, the walk through shows how to paint it one color; what do I do if I want the base coat to be black, for example, with the Apeture Science logo one one side in white and the portal logo on the other? Should I add these graphics with a stencil? How do you suggest I make the stencil? Also, If I wanted to make my Faceplate two-tone (portal exit/entry graphics on top and bottom with man falling right around the memory slots) with one color background and another color for the slot covers, wireless button, USB slot cover, and power button. Should I do this with masking tape to cover the "other color" areas, or should I completely disassemble it?

Lighting
Final round of questions. First off, If i wanted to throw in some LED to shine near the holes in the base/top of my 360, how would I achieve this? What type should I use, and where is a good place to buy them? Also, if I wanted to replace the LED in my ROL on the console and on my controllers, what should I use for those?

Thank you so much to anyone who can help! As a complete newbie who really wants to get into console mods, I'd appreciate all the help I can get!

#2 yayupp

yayupp

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Computers
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:11 AM

I'd say go crazy if you got your friends old one. If you mess that one up, youv'e always got yours that works. Almost anything can be replaced. As for firm ware flashing, I haven't read to deep into it. But it can't be that hard.

Check out the site, its full of info. I was once where you are. But I started out on the Xbox1. I too am modding my 360 for the first time.

Good luck!

#3 VetoIsolation

VetoIsolation

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:43 PM

Thanks. I checked the Tutorials section, and they had some guides to swapping DVD players, but they were really confusing.

#4 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 03:51 AM

It's not newbie to be confused on the firmware flashing tutorials. They're still a little confusing to me, and I've been on the scene 2 years now. Before you go all out and replace the drive, I would try just replacing the laser first. It's cheaper (about $15) and easier (in my opinion). A good place to get leds is ebay (by far the cheapest way to go if you're buying in bulk, which is around 25-100). If you're looking for leds that are bright, check the MCD rating. Just to give you an example to go by when trying to decide how bright you want them to be, a standard green power led that you see in most electronics is about 5-10 MCD. From there, the sky is the limit. I like to use 5000 MCD blue leds, which are about as bright as what you see in small industrial-grade flashlights. However, if you really want to go insane, I've heard of some people finding 5mm leds that go all the way up to 15000 MCD. There are 2 common sizes of leds used by most modders, 3mm and 5mm. The 360s ROL, on the other hand, is a much different story. If you want to replace the leds in that, you would use 0603 SMD leds, which are extremely small. By extremely small, I mean the size of a couple grains of salt small. I wouldn't even attempt it until you have a good amount of soldering experience under your belt. The controllers also use these leds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users