X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:50 AM

HAZE to have 4GB install
Posted by XanTium | 16-5-2008 23:50 EST

From forums.ubi.com:

Q: Will Haze have a mandatory install?
A: You will need to go through a minimal install (about 4 Gigs) but not the whole game.

Full Story: forums.ubi.com

#2 Elemino

Elemino

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:42 AM

Next time Sony (on the PS4)... include MORE MEMORY so we don't have to do this crap ever again!

I know ya'll are lovin' my internet speed.

Edited by Elemino, 17 May 2008 - 06:43 AM.

#3 NineT9mustang

NineT9mustang

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:12 AM

huh ^ ?

or how about um... you just buy a bigger hdd for your PS3?

Or wait no, if you wanted your PS3 to come with a bigger HDD, that would mean Sony release the PS3 with a 120GB/250GB/500GB which would make the PS3 even more expensive ($100-$400+ on top), and we all know how expensive it is already... so they gave us the answer, allowing us to expand our HDD by ourselves.

Sony did all of us a favor by including a HDD for every single console

Sony is doing us a favor by allowing us to install games to the HDD so they will load faster/smoother (or stream, however you want to technically define it)

I do not understand why people complain about memory issues or install issues.

It's like complaining you have bad gas mileage in your Ferrari

Sorry for my slight negative tone here, I don't mean to be rude, simply dont understand is all :|

#4 d-range

d-range

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE(NineT9mustang @ May 17 2008, 10:48 AM) View Post

huh ^ ?

Or wait no, if you wanted your PS3 to come with a bigger HDD, that would mean Sony release the PS3 with a 120GB/250GB/500GB which would make the PS3 even more expensive ($100-$400+ on top), and we all know how expensive it is already... so they gave us the answer, allowing us to expand our HDD by ourselves.

Sony did all of us a favor by including a HDD for every single console

Sony is doing us a favor by allowing us to install games to the HDD so they will load faster/smoother (or stream, however you want to technically define it)

It's like complaining you have bad gas mileage in your Ferrari

Sorry for my slight negative tone here, I don't mean to be rude, simply dont understand is all :|

Yeah because we all know putting a bigger HD in it yourself is free, and we all know casual gamers just *love* to use the screwdriver on their console and f*ck up their savegames if they do it wrong :-/

The fuss is: with install sizes like this, the HD runs out after you have a few games installed, and if you don't want to muck around with your console you can start deleting and reinstalling when you want to swap games. Terrific... At least a 360 is fully functional even without the HD, if Sony would just have put a faster optical drive in the damn machine, this crap would be unnecessary.

FYI: i have both consoles, and I consider my self a computer expert (it's my job) but I actually *hate* having to view my PS3 as an upgradable computer, i don't even want to know what size of HD is in it, or that I can put a bigger one in it, and I don't want to know why I need to wait 10 minutes to install 4GB of data to it when I want to play a game.

Edited by d-range, 17 May 2008 - 10:36 AM.

#5 Naquadah

Naquadah

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 May 2008 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE(d-range @ May 17 2008, 10:11 AM) View Post

Yeah because we all know putting a bigger HD in it yourself is free, and we all know casual gamers just *love* to use the screwdriver on their console and f*ck up their savegames if they do it wrong :-/

The fuss is: with install sizes like this, the HD runs out after you have a few games installed, and if you don't want to muck around with your console you can start deleting and reinstalling when you want to swap games. Terrific... At least a 360 is fully functional even without the HD, if Sony would just have put a faster optical drive in the damn machine, this crap would be unnecessary.

FYI: i have both consoles, and I consider my self a computer expert (it's my job) but I actually *hate* having to view my PS3 as an upgradable computer, i don't even want to know what size of HD is in it, or that I can put a bigger one in it, and I don't want to know why I need to wait 10 minutes to install 4GB of data to it when I want to play a game.

QFT!!

#6 warmaster_670

warmaster_670

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE(Elemino @ May 17 2008, 02:18 AM) View Post

Next time Sony (on the PS4)... include MORE MEMORY so we don't have to do this crap ever again!

I know ya'll are lovin' my internet speed.

right, cause it has to do with memory, of which it has almost an identical amount as the 360.......

#7 HotKnife420

HotKnife420

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE(d-range @ May 17 2008, 11:11 AM) View Post

I've never actually met someone who needed help upgrading the PS3 hard drive. Please actually show proof that there's someone who can't do it, and I'll bet I can still walk them through the process. Space hasn't really been an issue for me. I've got over 10 games for my PS3, some demos, and videos, and I've still got 90GB of free space. Sure, installs take a little while, but they only happen once, and they don't take all that long, anyway. GTA4 doesn't install on the 360, but it sure feels like an install when you start it up (360 version), as long as it takes to load. I think the time spent is really just "bitch fuel".

As for needing a faster optical drive, the bandwidth of the device makes the rate in which the data travels a similar amount. Reading 2X on a BD is similar to reading 12X on a DVD, for data transferred in time.

#8 Elemino

Elemino

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(NineT9mustang @ May 17 2008, 04:48 AM) View Post
how about um... because i shouldn't have to?

Well that statement is problematic, because it does not make the game load any faster. In fact, most of the games on the PS3 load slower than the games on my 360. (and don't ignore my bold/underline for "most")

Because a 40GB hard drive simply does not give you 40GB of space. The real usuable amount is in the 20's I believe. I own about 12 360 games now, and I've had probably 12 more I sold or traded. I think you see where I'm going with this. You cannot have 10 4GB games installed on a 40GB PS3 at one time. Not only do these games fill your hard drive, but they pretty much make it useless for saving anything else. The craziest thing is, people with a 360 get a bigger hard drive because they are downloading and filling it with extra content. People with a PS3 buy a bigger hard drive because they need it just to play the games they own. I could go on and on about how you have to somehow transfer your files and hope you don't lose everything, but hopefully by now you get the point.

QUOTE(warmaster_670 @ May 17 2008, 09:14 AM) View Post

right, cause it has to do with memory, of which it has almost an identical amount as the 360.......
That's true. I believe they both have 512MB. The difference is the 360's memory is unified and can share the memory for the system and the video. Where as the PS3 has an even split of 256 for the system and 256 for the video. However, the PS3 technically is supposed to be able to render better graphics (although for some reason a large portion of its games only display in 720p), so you would think they would have used unified memory as well or given the graphics side more than 256MB. Either way, why does it need these huge install files when the 360 can play the same games, look almost as good, and only save files in the 100's of MB at most instead of multiple GBs?

#9 warmaster_670

warmaster_670

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE(Elemino @ May 17 2008, 12:32 PM) View Post

That's true. I believe they both have 512MB. The difference is the 360's memory is unified and can share the memory for the system and the video. Where as the PS3 has an even split of 256 for the system and 256 for the video. However, the PS3 technically is supposed to be able to render better graphics (although for some reason a large portion of its games only display in 720p), so you would think they would have used unified memory as well or given the graphics side more than 256MB. Either way, why does it need these huge install files when the 360 can play the same games, look almost as good, and only save files in the 100's of MB at most instead of multiple GBs?

2 things, one the companies can do it, since the PS3 has a standard HDD hwere the 360 does not, and its only got a 2x BD drive, which isnt as bad as it sounds, has a better base read rate, but doesnt go any higher the closer it gets to teh center of the disk.

RAM shouldnt have anything to do with it.

#10 anonim1979

anonim1979

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:59 AM

Raw teoretical read speed is not a problem in PS3.
Problem is in that BRx2 in PS3 has access times excessing 350ms.

DVD ~110ms
2xBlu-ray >350ms

Every long laser jump for data causes serious delays in data transfer.
You need smart cashing (takes memory!) or instalation on HDD.
OR you repeat data so laser position doesn't change drasticaly and drive in PS3 doesn't need to spin up / spin down to keep (REQUIED!) in PS3 2xBR speed (BR in PS3 is CVL - http://en.wikipedia....linear_velocity )

ANYWAY
Haze is crappy game.

Quaz51:
Haze is 1024x576 no AA

http://forum.beyond3...p;postcount=812

Full 720p - 1280x720 = 921,600 pixels
Some games:

Lair                                     800x1080 = 864,000 pixels
MGS4 / Metal Gear Online     1024x768 = 786,432 pixels
GTA4 (PS3)                          1152x640 = 737,280 pixels
Halo3                                  1152x640 = 737,280 pixels
Dark Sector (PS3)                 1152x640 = 737,280 pixels
Call of Duty 4 (PS3 , X360)     1024x600 = 614,400 pixels
Haze (PS3)                          1024x576 = 589,824 pixels

1024x576
It is nearly SD PAL game (720x576) blink.gif
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#11 Elemino

Elemino

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:17 AM

QUOTE(warmaster_670 @ May 17 2008, 11:45 AM) View Post
since the PS3 has a standard HDD hwere the 360 does not
You have a point there... but the original xbox had even smaller save files than 360 ones (for most games)... and some how still the same games as the ps3, but the 360 can play them without the incredibly large install files.

#12 spinr34

spinr34

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:57 AM

anonim1979 has it right. it has nothing to do with memory on the ps3. it is the access times on the bluray drive. if sony didn't try to infest the world with bluray (which isn't really needed for games) then you wouldn't need a hard drive on the ps3 and you wouldn't need to install games because it would have a standard dvd drive which would allow for fast enough access times to produce tolerable load times. if there wasn't a hard drive on the ps3 which would mean no installs, load times would be ridicuously long with the bluray drive.

also, i enjoyed the haze demo. it isn't a perfect game but it is above average and one of the more fun games i've played for the ps3.

Edited by spinr34, 18 May 2008 - 06:58 AM.

#13 irnchriz

irnchriz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:38 AM

They just need to start shipping bigger HDD's in the European SKU's. The time to install is not long but it becomes a problem if you have only got a 40GB drive (30 ish useable) and you play a lot of games which require to install.

They should really have thought about this when they designed the PS3. I know that you can upgrade your HDD however I tend to feel that they shipped a compromised product. They knew that the Blu-Ray drive was too slow and would compromise data streaming, this was the reason that they put an HDD in every PS3. All developers were told that they would HAVE to use a disk cache to run their games and in certain cases they are able to install the entire game to the HDD.

This seems to put the shaft to PS3 owners who will either have to face LONG install times over and over again whilst having to delete game install files to play their games. Granted there are not many now but as most developers release for both PS3 and 360 this will become more and more common. (its easier to dump the game assets to the PS3 HDD than work out how to structure the Blu-Ray for repetition of data and program the loading of that data accordingly)

Edited by irnchriz, 18 May 2008 - 11:53 AM.

#14 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:32 PM

I have 17 games , 60Gb HDD still plenty of free space.
My mother could do the upgrade and at cheap cost if I ever have to.
Install to the drive is a one time thing.
@ d-range I pity you if 10 minutes as one off is too much for you to bear. What do you do if the postman is 15 minutes late or you have to queue somewhere for 10 minutes? Tear your hair out and rant and rave. I love it when in trying to find something to make an issue of people cite a 10 minute 1 time install as a major threat to sanity.
1024x576
It is nearly SD PAL game (720x576)

From a link to a forum post by the same guy who spouted the "GTA4 is only 630p" shit and pretends counting the pixels is accurate and can tell the resolution just from a look at a screen of the game. A game by the way which is not even out yet. Excellent, he missed his way. Should have been a forensic detective.
ANYWAY
Haze is crappy game.

Oh you have played the demo then? I think I will judge from someone when the they have played the full version. Personally I liked the Demo.

I would wager half the people complaining about loading on to HDD are the same people who quite gladly chipped their Xbox and bought a 500GB drive to fit, in order to load full games onto the drive. Times and storage didn't seem to matter then.

If you download a lot of content (and there is plenty on XBL) to your 360 the 13GB usable on a standard 20GB drive is useless. Expensive upgrade needed. If you bought one with no HDD expensive upgrade needed. Either machine if you are a games and content junkie you will need to accommodate that addiction. I don't see the problem with upgrading on either.

#15 warmaster_670

warmaster_670

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:47 PM

im pretty sure the Haze devss ais its 720p, and im more likely to believe them then some guy on a forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users