HeeZy01

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:17 PM

i have the auto rename fatx limitation option enabled in the settings. but the problem is, it sets the fatx filename limitations, but it overwrites files that would have the same filename and does not auto rename them.

ex. say you have 2 files,

blahblah......more that 42 char-1.avi
blahblah......more that 42 char-2.avi

when transferring from PC to Xbox using SMB, the second file would overwrite the first file because of the fatx limitation. so the new filename would read,

blahblah......more that 42.avi

is it possible for XBMC to auto-rename and create a new file instead of overwriting when using SMB. i find it easier for me to use than ftp.

thanks!

#2 evilkorn

evilkorn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 18 May 2008 - 04:25 AM

Sounds more like a samba problem than a xbmc issue.

#3 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:16 AM

It's got nothing to do with SAMBA. The problem is that if XBMC takes a file name and shortens it, and then goes to copy another file that shortens to the exact same name, it has no way of knowing that the two originally had different titles. So it overwrites the original file.

This is only really a problem with transferring stackable movie files, as anything else you can really just rename to something unique.

A solution might be to use a renaming system like that used back when long file name support was introduced to Windows - Every file had to have two names, a "long" one for Windows and a "short" one for DOS. A "~1", "~2", etc got stuck onto the cropped versions to prevent duplicates.

Though in this case, instead of using a random number we'd want the last character before the extension. It wouldn't always be pretty:

"This is a really long file name that I came up with randomly don't even know how long it is.png"

Would become something like:

"This is a really long file name that I came up wi~s.png"

This wouldn't always work (say the file names ended in (1), (2), etc), but it should at least reduce the amount of erroneous overwrites. Using your examples:

blahblah......more that 42 char-1.avi
blahblah......more that 42 char-2.avi

You'd end up with something like:

blahblah......more that 4~1.avi
blahblah......more that 4~2.avi

I don't much like the idea of XBMC automatically avoiding ALL overwrites by creating a new file name. That'd just be annoying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users