Photo

Any Yellow Light Of Death Success Stories? Tips?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 abc_kid

abc_kid

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:54 AM

Well, I bought a used 20gb PS3 and it has the yellow light, then 3 beeps and flashing red problem. Sometimes (after not powering on the console for awhile, I can get the unit to stay green for awhile, but then it will go back to the yellow/red light.) Unfortunately, my serial sticker is gone and Sony refuses to even do an out of warranty service on this unit.

I found this tidbit on the playstation clinic website:

I am sorry to tell you that The Playstation Clinic has decided stop accepting Playstation 3 consoles for repair. Sony will not distribute parts, and the unreliability of the PS3 causes us to not trust used Parts. Also, the parts are so few and far between, the price is rediculously high. Supply and demand economics at work. We refuse to further add to the frustration of the PS3 owners by putting an unreliable part in the PS3 and have to charge over half what a used PS3 costs these days. Again, please realize we have worked on PS3 enough to know that the PS3 is very unreliable due to the Cell Broadband Processor getting too hot. The heat transfer compound that accelerates the transfer of heat from the Processors to the cooling system will dry up. This happens after about 8 months to 1 year of normal use. What will happen is the processor will get hot and trip the PS3 off with 2 beeps and a red light. The heat is so intense and it cannot escape fast enough destroying the Cell broadband Processor or some of its cores. The result is the temperature overload sensor inside the processor will not allow the PS3 to turn on. We are anxiously awaiting Sony to release a Cell Broadband Processor that stays cool. Sony may not report that they have developed a new processor due to liability risk of admitting that the existing Processor gets way too hot. The Cooling system is the most elaborate system I have ever seen and should keep the processors cool, but the transfer compound is common and is not designed to handle the constant high temperatures. I believe the Compound is silicon based and a phnomenon called Silicon migration occurs causing the compound to dry up.
You can call us at 864-275-2762 to ask for assistance with problems and we will do our best to help you find a solution. Sony may repair your PS3 and I believe the latest rate for repair is $150 plus shipping which is about $25. This is the best deal going and hopefully Sony has redesigned the Processor for cooler running. You can get service from Sony by going to www.playstation.com or Calling Sony at 1-800-345-7669

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had successfully repaired a PS3 with the yellow light issue. Thanks in advance.

#2 Shaide

Shaide

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:35 AM

To answer your question..yes..it is possible to fix ( although only temporarily in most cases) the YLOD. You go about it the same as you would with the xbox360 RROD. Same procedure, just on ps3. Use Arctic Siler thermal paste as it is better and conducts heat better.

#3 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:46 AM

I have fixed 3 YLOD PS3 consoles (fat) so far and none has returned back. I use similar method like XB360 and Arctic Silver 5 of course. Be sure you will clean very well, the fan, as well... makes huge impact on the concole's cooling.

#4 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

If you want your PS3 to last, reflowed or not, you need to mod the fanspeed. Just like the Xbox 360, the PS3 is programmed to let the GPU run too hot before the fan ramps up. You can be sure that microscopic cracks are forming in the GPU BGA when it runs hot. GPU temps above 60C are damaging, I know the 360 is programmed to ramp up fans at 80C and I'm sure the PS3 is in the 70-80 range as well.

The fan mod I do runs the fans 2.5 times faster, or more power actually (from stock 20% to 50% power) and it is loud. When I explain to people it is the only way their PS3 is going to last they seem quite happy with it. Before I did the fan I seen about 15-20% of reflows return, after fan modding none have returned yet.

#5 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(relaxxx @ Jul 5 2011, 02:49 PM) View Post

If you want your PS3 to last, reflowed or not, you need to mod the fanspeed. Just like the Xbox 360, the PS3 is programmed to let the GPU run too hot before the fan ramps up. You can be sure that microscopic cracks are forming in the GPU BGA when it runs hot. GPU temps above 60C are damaging, I know the 360 is programmed to ramp up fans at 80C and I'm sure the PS3 is in the 70-80 range as well.

The fan mod I do runs the fans 2.5 times faster, or more power actually (from stock 20% to 50% power) and it is loud. When I explain to people it is the only way their PS3 is going to last they seem quite happy with it. Before I did the fan I seen about 15-20% of reflows return, after fan modding none have returned yet.

Can you tell me where is there a guide for this or if you have any pic to post?

#6 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:23 PM

Simple Ps3 Fan Speed 555 Pulse Mod No Pots

#7 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

Great.. thanx smile.gif

#8 herman69

herman69

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Mapping cars, Drifting, Gaming, Reballing Consoles
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:02 AM

The best fix is to get the GPU reballed with leaded solder. This involves opening up the console, lifting the BGA off the board. Cleaning up the pads on the board and the GPU, reballing with leaded solder balls and then refitting the BGA to the motherboard.

Ususlly this involves the use of expensive IR rework stations, reballing stations, etc. Some people use hot air rework stations instead of IR ones, but most workshops ur IR stations like the ACHI.

My old unit packed in, and I now have a PS3 mid re-balling. The GPU is removed & reballed, but I can't reflow it now to fit it back. Waiting on my new ACHI to arrive now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users