• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16 Ulala321

Ulala321

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:27 PM

Hi, sorry to necro a defunct topic, but Iíve run into a snag trying to softmod and feel the answer could be in this thread! I have a couple of old Xboxes just collecting dust and thought this would be a fun project. The boxes have not been modded in any way before.

I have a good grasp on the process and am pretty computer savvy. Unfortunately, my computer only has one IDE slot on the mobo, everything else is SATA, so the CD I made using Ndure and xboxhdm following this guide (http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=496263) didnít work. Xboxhdm would boot off the disc but gave me a ďno linux CD foundĒ error when I would enter the xbrowser command, even though it had just booted from that very CD. *facepalm*

I found that 2 IDE channels are necessary, so I might be SOL since my computer only has one and no IDE CD-drive, but then had the wild idea of using the drive off my second Xbox since itís IDE. Iíll plug the IDE slave into the disc drive of xbox#2, hotswap the master into the hard drive of xbox#1, and maybe I won't get the no linux found error. The only problem I forsee is the xbox disc drive might not read a burned CD, or running the 2 different devices into one channel. Iíll give this a try when I get home but I know it's a long shot.

If it doesnít work, Iíve read up on ways to use a USB flash drive in the same way as the CD, but havenít found a step by step guide for total linux dummies. I've read and read and read but don't know what files to put on my USB flash drive. Would I just put the ISO on there with a bootloader? Step by step would be a huge help, can anyone point me in the right direction? Or maybe there's a better method than the USB drive, like the one in this thread?

Finally, trying to do what was done in this thread: I unplugged the disc drive to get error 12 on xbox #1 and hotswapped the hard drive while my computer was in windows and scanned for new hardware. Windows detected it just fine and I was able to see it in disk management under device manager. Xpolorer360 couldnít detect any FATX drives however, and I also tried Filezilla but still couldnít find the xbox hard drive. Even if I were to access the drive, Idotsfanís instructions in the first post are still a little difficult for me to understand. Can anyone help clarify or tell me why Xplorer360 wonít detect the drive?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide! smile.gif

#17 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:09 PM

Make sure you use Xplorer360 beta 6. You also have to be really accurate with the timing of the hotswap - if you haven't unplugged the disk before the error message appears then you're too late because the disk will relock again.

#18 nullified

nullified

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:06 AM

First, Thanks for this guide. Saved me a lot of time and trouble. Second, thanks
to the LDotsfan. Third, Thanks to Jangaboo for this:

QUOTE(Jangaboo @ Apr 4 2010, 01:53 AM) View Post

1. went through standard procedure of installing ndure 3.1, picked proper kernel version

2. hit pause break on PC before auto detection bootup

3. hotswap method on xbox was pausing copied song from hard-drive

4. booted windows xp and followed rest of your guide no sweat

I did something similar. Here is what I did using an IBM ThinkCentre with 1 IDE slot and running XP:

1. I followed step 1 from Jangaboo: "1. went through standard procedure of installing ndure 3.1, picked proper kernel version"

2. I started up my xbox and played a song for a few minutes and then paused it. I then disconnected the IDE Cable from the HDD and hooked it up to my PC that was ALREADY in windows XP. This is the Hotswap.

3. I went to device manager and had it scan for new devices.

4. I followed the rest of Ldotsfan's original guide.

Works fine. Can't wait to test it all out and see what I can make it do.

#19 360fan123

360fan123

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for the tut, but i can't get the HDD to detect correctly.

I booted up my comp and pause/break's before hdd detection

performed hotswap by pausing a song which was playing from the hdd

booted into windows 7

it found the hdd

but i cant get device manager to pick it up

it just says "I/O error"

anyone have any ideas?

thanks

#20 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:54 PM

2. I started up my xbox and played a song for a few minutes and then paused it. I then disconnected the IDE Cable from the HDD and hooked it up to my PC that was ALREADY in windows XP. This is the Hotswap.

The Art of Hotswapping

#21 360fan123

360fan123

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Sep 27 2010, 12:54 PM) View Post

My bad, i managed to successfully hotswap this time (showed up in xplorer 360) however, after following your original post, it asks me to transfer files onto partitions 3 and 4. About half way through xplorer360 became non responsive and crashed, now the HDD is only showing 4/5 partitions and the other partitions are empty.

Have i broken the hard disk now? I get a red flashing ring when i tried the hdd in the xbox.

Edited by 360fan123, 27 September 2010 - 06:46 PM.

#22 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:58 PM

Any error no on the screen?. Xplorer360 takes a long time to copy shadowC file so when you think it is irresponsive, it may just be busy.

Is partition 3 and 4 accessible? List the files if possible on pastebin.

#23 360fan123

360fan123

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Sep 28 2010, 01:58 PM) View Post

Any error no on the screen?. Xplorer360 takes a long time to copy shadowC file so when you think it is irresponsive, it may just be busy.

Is partition 3 and 4 accessible? List the files if possible on pastebin.

No, what happened, was that xplorer360 was copying the shadowc file to the HDD and the program went from "not responding" and suddenley crashed with a windows error report.

Partition 4 does not exist at all. All the other partitions are literally empty. (I did make a backup, as you suggested in the first post, but that also crashed xplorer360 and there is only one file in there)

#24 ShoutHouse

ShoutHouse

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:19 AM

Ok, I'm slightly confused. By backup do you mean click DRIVE>Backup

or do i need to just copy files over to a folder... I did both.

Also, when I try to inject the backup into shadowc.img it says it cannot write cluster.

Edited by ShoutHouse, 02 October 2010 - 01:28 AM.

#25 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:50 AM

writing shadowc.img is not really that important. You can transfer it after you get the exploit running. Its much faster to do it by ftp. You will see real c drive on first boot and after you copy shadowc.img all subsequent boot will load shadowc.

#26 Mr_Biggles

Mr_Biggles

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:19 PM

I know this is old and long out of date for many of you, but it worked exactly as advertised. I found an xbox in a bag in the parking lot at the local grocery store, and with this tut and a little more research I now have a working XBMC set-up that fits my cheap-ass budget.

Thanks to all of you.

#27 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE(Mr_Biggles @ Apr 6 2011, 11:19 PM) View Post

I know this is old and long out of date for many of you, but it worked exactly as advertised.

Yes, this method has its fans biggrin.gif

#28 fizal619

fizal619

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:29 AM

i made the backup image. and i ficked up the installation....
now i cant get the drive to unlock in order to restore the image.....
what do i do?
im screwed

#29 opd

opd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:31 AM

Thank you for this great tutorial. It works fine with modern PCs (SATA, only one IDE cable..). I had one problem using Xbrowser360: First it only had 3 Partitions. Solution: Backup the whole disk, and restore it- thats how i get my e partition back.
Another Problem using Windows 7 (64bit in my case): UAC does not like the tool, drag and drop does not work. You have to use the Administrator Account and nothing else ("run as" simply does not work!).

#30 Verontier

Verontier

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

I have been trying this on my unmodded X-Box for almost 3 days now.. My problem seems to be slightly different from others on this forum. Everything goes smoothly: the xbhd unlocks; the laptop installs the driver; and it reads the xbhd in the Disk Management. But, Xplorer360 (also tried extreme 1&2) will not detect the xbhd.
I have tried it in XP SP 1,2,&3 compatibility modes run as administrator each time (my os is Win7 Ultimate). As I stated earlier, everything works with the xbhd except for the Xplorer360 programs.
Could it be the IDE/SATA to USB 2.0 adapter I am using? It is the same adapter I used on my X-Box 360 a couple years ago (same laptop, too).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users