• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tc66tc

tc66tc

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:59 AM

He guys I picked up a spare 360 ($50). Its dated 5-18-2006. The problem with it is the dvd tray is just dead. When the button is hit absolutely nothing happens. I need help on identifying if the dvd rom in it is the right one. The case had been previously removed and the silver tape from the case frame to the dvd player doesnt line up at all so im not sure if this is from a failed attempt or what.

The current drive is a Toshiba Samsung (April 2006)
TS-H943A/MCAH
6RML411098
F/W = ms25
H/W = 005
Ver A

So far Ive had it up and running arcade games off my HD for about 4 hours and not 3 Rings or anything like that. If I can get the DVD player running this one will be a project console. Also since i done think this is the org drive hack flashing it, isnt a big deal since this one will never be online anyways.

I got this one in the hopes of getting it back up and running, so I could do a submerged 360 in mineral oil. One of my friends has done a computer following Puget Systems setup. His has been going for a few months now and I figured a 360 in the same type of setup would be really cool. Worse case says I cant get it back up and running I have a nice media center extender for only $50 smile.gif

Any help would be great guys.

Thanks
Tc

Edited by tc66tc, 21 May 2008 - 04:14 AM.

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:00 AM

If that's not the original drive, or at least has the original drives key on the FW, then it will not play any games, hacked or not, CD and DVDs yes, but no game discs at all will play on it. Currently there is no way to get the key off the motherboard unless you already have a working drive, so that's really pointless to even consider until someone figures that out.

There's no way at all to tell if that drive is the one that's 'married' to that motherboard, unless you get the drive going again and it actually plays game discs.

What you should check first is the obvious, since it's a Samsung the tray on it likes to stick because the belt slips. Open the tray manually and see if it will close it, if it does the belt is the cause.

If it's not the belt, then it could be the FW is tanked or the drive has been fried. If either of these are the case you'll need an external programmer to get the key off the drive, and then it's a shot in the dark as to it being the right one or not if it's even there at all. If the drive is fried you'd be able to see it in most cases after taking it apart and looking around at the components on the board.

#3 tc66tc

tc66tc

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:13 AM

If it's not the belt, then it could be the FW is tanked or the drive has been fried. If either of these are the case you'll need an external programmer to get the key off the drive, and then it's a shot in the dark as to it being the right one or not if it's even there at all. If the drive is fried you'd be able to see it in most cases after taking it apart and looking around at the components on the board.

This looks to be the option. When testing the dvd absolutely nothing happens, so i dont think it is simply a belt issue. I will disassemble it when I get back from vacation and see it anything "looks" bad on the board. The tape issue is the only thing that bothers me, if it wasnt for that I wouldnt think twice about it being the org.

Ok so i need to order a new drive, and if i hack it, Ill be able to watch dvds on it and use it as a media center extender/dvd/music player in the bedroom, leave the cpu in the computer room and leave my working 360 in the livingroom for media and game playing. This might still turn out to be a nice little toy even being broke smile.gif

Edited by tc66tc, 21 May 2008 - 06:15 AM.

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:40 AM

I personally wouldn't use the 360 to watch DVDs if it was the only thing left in the house to play them on, it's a horrible DVD player and a so-so media extender to boot, matter of fact it's really only a good gaming machine when it's working and not blinking death at ya, which is about only around 70% of the time.

If the drive isn't the original there's really no need to even think of any kind of hacking to it really, unless you get a replacement drive that's a different model/version to put in there and then all you'll be looking at is spoofing it so the 360 doesn't cry about that. Hopefully you got lucky and someone just fried the thing and you can dump the key off the FW chip and it'll be the right one, but the only way to tell is to have a known working drive first and inject that key into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users