• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WhiteLightsX

WhiteLightsX

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:41 PM

So yeah... Ive searched around, and seen alot of people ask this...But through all of the threads i read, not one answered this question. Ive got a really shitty 30 watt soldering iron...not really doing the trick. So yeah... Anyone wanna give me some advice? and does anyone have pictures of what it looks like when its completely off?

also, what all gets soldered back on, just the 2 legs? or is there something else...I assume there is.

Thanks alot...

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,787 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:48 PM

Both legs and the tab (bottom of it) are what's soldered to the board, nothing really to see under there but a square pad where it's soldered to. A 30W isn't really going to cut it to remove one of those things, probably get it off there with two of them though. Getting that tab hot enough to where the solder will flow takes a decent iron because you're also heating up the larger copper plane it's soldered to, kinda acts like a heat sink.

#3 WhiteLightsX

WhiteLightsX

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:55 AM

Alright thanks! What watt soldering iron should i buy that could remove it?

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,787 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:19 AM

Something around 50W to 60W would do it for sure, I use a Hakko 926, it's been replaced by the 936 now and is a good all around iron, something ya may want to invest in if you're planning to do a good bit of soldering. If all you're after is removing this one part this one time then just get ya some cheapo 40W-50W pencil and use it. Ya might be able to get it off there by heating the board up with a hair dryer some so the iron has a little less work to do. A soldering gun would do the job easily, though ya need to be very careful with something like that and only use it on the tab after ya have the FETs leads desoldered, those things are around 150W to 230W so it's not something you'd use for your typical 'day to day' soldering mod needs. A heat gun most definitely would work as well, but if you're going to use that thing on it make sure ya protect other components on the board and don't go crazy with it.

That kind of part ya just have to practice with a little until ya get the right amount of heat and know how to remove it properly without burning up the board and/or lifting up the trace it's soldered to.

#5 G0t M4xx 21

G0t M4xx 21

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:28 AM

also a trick for removing these guys is to actually ADD a little bit of solder while you're heating it up

the liquid solder touching the hot iron helps to transfer the heat from the iron to the pad more efficiently

easiest way to take off the FETs is with a hot air gun, but you risk overheating the board, it's best if you have one with a very small nozzle that will only heat up the fet

otherwise, add a small amount of solder to the two pins and the back tab, and alternate heating both sides until it comes loose (melt the two pins then quickly heat up the tab, go back and forth)

#6 solderingsultan

solderingsultan

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:50 AM

Heatgun and tweazers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users