• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Necron

Necron

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:37 PM

I softmodded my XBox a few years ago by hotswapping and using the UXE exploit. It has served me well since. I have a PAL XBox, and I bought the component cables, and now I'm trying to convert it to NTSC so I can enable HD resolutions. Please can anyone tell me if there's an easy way to disable the virtual eeprom? If I change to NTSC with enigmah, the settings are lost on reboot. I know UXE is outdated, but I just want a quick fix without the risk of installing Ndure. Failing that, is it possible to create a C: drive on my PC with the Ndure exploit, and then FTP it over to my already softmodded XBox? I'm just dreading the hotswapping again, I have some bad memories of that biggrin.gif (BTW, I've already tried making a "EEPROM_off.bin" file and copying it in just about every folder...)

#2 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:34 AM

1. Backup your eeprom with xman954's eeprom reader and keep it safe on PC.
2. Kingroach Ndure will create the necessary softmod files for C and E drive.
3. In theory, UXE is a font exploit just like Ndure and you just need to replace the nkpatcher kernel patcher for the virtual eeprom support but you need to know the file structure of your softmod package very well to replace the right files. And you need to recompile the newer version of nkpatcher.
4. Here's a quick and dirty way to disable virtual eeprom, get Frosty's Xbox rescue disc and cold-boot from it. Use the DVD2Xbox file manager to launch enigmah from your hdd. If this doesn't work, Frosty's will give you ftp access to C and E for you to replace the existing softmod with Kingroach Ndure.

#3 Necron

Necron

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:01 AM

Thank you so much for giving me some info and guidance! I tried that Frosty's Rescue Disk, and it did write the NTSC setting to the EEPROM, but I was unable to run the original msdash after booting from the rescue disc (to enable all the HD resolutions and Dolby/DTS) so unfortunately those settings aren't saved, even though my XBox is now permanently in NTSC mode.

Looks like I'll have to get my hands dirty tomorrow and restore the C drive to its original unpatched state, update the dash, and do that hotswapping malarkey again with the latest Ndure that lets you disable the virtual EEPROM...

Thanks anyway for helping me!

#4 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE(Necron @ May 24 2008, 01:37 PM) View Post

Looks like I'll have to get my hands dirty tomorrow and restore the C drive to its original unpatched state, update the dash, and do that hotswapping malarkey again with the latest Ndure that lets you disable the virtual EEPROM...

Good news - you don't need to hotswap , Frosty's gives you ftp access to replace all files on C drive. Just get Kingroach Ndure to generate the softmod files and replace everything on C drive. Ensure ernie.xtf goes in before xbox.xtf during the ftp process as the sequence is important to Ndure. After ndure is working, ftp to C drive again. Your C drive should be empty as shadow C is on and you can then ftp in retail ms dash files which you want for the video settings.

I hope you have got your eeprom backup as it's the recovery means if anything goes wrong.

Edited by ldotsfan, 24 May 2008 - 07:16 AM.

#5 Necron

Necron

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:48 PM

Wow, I didn't realise I could just overwrite all the files on C when booting from the rescue disc. Thanks for clearing that up for me, hopefully I can avoid another hotswap biggrin.gif Now I just have to track down a 5960 dash for Ndure. I have the eeprom backed up so I can use xboxhdm to fix C if (when?) I make a mistake biggrin.gif Thank you again!

#6 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE(Necron @ May 24 2008, 09:24 PM) View Post

Wow, I didn't realise I could just overwrite all the files on C when booting from the rescue disc. Thanks for clearing that up for me, hopefully I can avoid another hotswap biggrin.gif Now I just have to track down a 5960 dash for Ndure. I have the eeprom backed up so I can use xboxhdm to fix C if (when?) I make a mistake biggrin.gif Thank you again!

With your eeprom, you can avoid ever hotswapping again - just use xboxhdm option 3 to unlock the hdd in the PC.

#7 Necron

Necron

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ May 24 2008, 02:36 PM) View Post

With your eeprom, you can avoid ever hotswapping again - just use xboxhdm option 3 to unlock the hdd in the PC.

DOH! Of course! I don't know how I didn't realise that... all that paranoia for nothing lol.
Anyway, I've followed your advice and FTPd a C with ndure applied (and the necessary E files and folders). After creating the EEPROM_off.bin file in E:\NKP11, I was able to disable the eeprom and now my HD settings are saved!!! Thank you so much for your help ldotsfan! I'll describe what I did to upgrade from UXE to Ndure in case it helps anyone else:

(Don't attempt this if you haven't backed up your EEPROM to your PC!!!)
- My Dash wasn't the recommended one for Ndure (5960), so I got a clean C drive from Slayers 2.7 with the latest dash.
- Then I applied Kingroach's Ndure 3.1 patcher to the clean C drive from Slayers (this also created an E folder with some necessary files).
- I cold booted to Frosty's Rescue Disc, deleted everything on C over FTP, and then uploaded the patched C drive and the files/folder for E to the XBox (I made sure to manually copy ernie.xtf first, then xbox.xtf in C:\xodash in case the FTP client mixed up the order)
- Ndure now worked correctly, so I just had to enable the MS Dash so I could enable HD resolutions and Dolby/DTS audio. If you FTP into your C drive, it will be empty because Ndure has created a shadow C. I just uploaded the clean C drive from Slayers to C.
- I then created an empty text file and named it EEPROM_off.bin and uploaded it to E:\NKP11 (This disables the virtual EEPROM to make changes of video settings permanent)
- At this stage, if you have a PAL console, run Enigmah and change to NTSC.
- Now, just run the MS Dash using the menu option in UnleashX, change the HD settings, and the changes are saved even after reboots biggrin.gif
- You should probably delete the EEPROM_off.bin when you're finished making changes to have the added layer of protection that the virtual EEPROM provides

Thanks again ldotsfan!

#8 mossopinc

mossopinc

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ May 24 2008, 02:10 AM) View Post

1. Backup your eeprom with xman954's eeprom reader and keep it safe on PC.
2. Kingroach Ndure will create the necessary softmod files for C and E drive.
3. In theory, UXE is a font exploit just like Ndure and you just need to replace the nkpatcher kernel patcher for the virtual eeprom support but you need to know the file structure of your softmod package very well to replace the right files. And you need to recompile the newer version of nkpatcher.
4. Here's a quick and dirty way to disable virtual eeprom, get Frosty's Xbox rescue disc and cold-boot from it. Use the DVD2Xbox file manager to launch enigmah from your hdd. If this doesn't work, Frosty's will give you ftp access to C and E for you to replace the existing softmod with Kingroach Ndure.

ive just done this and i had to use Kingroach Ndure to replace my current softmod which worked no problem but now when i xbox re boots i get a screen thats kinda pink? and it stays pink even playing games?? wat have i done wrong?

#9 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(mossopinc @ Jun 8 2008, 12:06 AM) View Post

ive just done this and i had to use Kingroach Ndure to replace my current softmod which worked no problem but now when i xbox re boots i get a screen thats kinda pink? and it stays pink even playing games?? wat have i done wrong?

1. What is your end objective? Upgrade softmod or change to HD settings?
2. What cables are you using?

#10 mossopinc

mossopinc

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:35 PM

well i wanted to redo the soft that i was using which i have done. i want to get the xbox todo the HD, i bought an HD pack fae ebay which has the 3 components and 2 for sound

#11 xman954

xman954

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:42 AM

i get a screen thats kinda pink?
VGA is inabled
use a E:\NKP_11\video.bin with a hex "01" or a text "1"

use "00" or "0" if you do not want to force 480p as a minimum when using HD cables

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users