• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 revans00

revans00

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:32 AM

This is what I'd like to do for my next project. I want to put together a ultimate media centre that has a more generous helping of sexiness than the stock xbox 1. The plan is to get a stock xbox, mod it, add extra features, and stick it in a hot case

Features:

* Modchipped
- Doesn't matter what chip, just wanting reliability (any suggestions? I know solderless is bad)

* HDD Upgrade - To a 750GB Seagate PATA, that's over 175000 songs or 800 hours of video blink.gif
> http://pconlineshop....oducts_id=45345

* Nexus Psile Enclosure - So much sexier than original xbox and JUST big enough, really!
> http://www.psile.com...o...tails&CID=1

* XBMC - Installed as dashboard for ultimate media-ness

* Wireless on/off - Via DVD Remote and XERC 2. IR receiver will go in place of Psile case's front LED
> http://diy.sickmods....s/XERC_2/About/

* DVD Remote - To control XBMC like a media center. Will share XERC 2's IR reciever, so no dongle

* Wireless Controller - No controller ports externally (Will 2.4GHz radio freq work through the case? I don't see why not)
> http://www.mytoys.co...l.aspx?ID=17309

* Wireless Ethernet - No wires across living room. Just one question though: Could I use this:
http://www.psile.com..._details&CID=23 instead of a regular "wireless gaming
adapter"?

* Power Supply - I'm not sure what to do for this. I could try integrate the original xbox power supply or use an pico one for size in addition with sickmods atx converter. Any opinions?

Ok so that's my grand, expensive idea. Feel free to give opinions or suggestions or bash my ego because of my ignorance biggrin.gif

#2 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:54 AM

I feel like I am shooting down a lot of ideas recently, but the xbox just dosent cut it in the media center world anymore. If you pull this off it will be sexy. It would be worth it to get a proper media center. Or try to make yourself a custom case rather then spending all that money on that.

#3 revans00

revans00

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:11 AM

I can definitely see where you're coming from. However, I do like the DIY aspect of xbox media centers. It's not really that I need a media center, it's just that its a cool project which I'd find really useful.

I think I might consider the DIY custom case a bit more too, as that Psile is reaally expensive. Do you have any idea what I could do that might have a chance of looking as suave as the Psile?

#4 modderguy791

modderguy791

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:33 PM

About the Wireless network....The Wireless card you have chosen for the wireless well....wont work in the xbox since its ment for a PC, unless you can find out where all the connections go for some 100 pins on the PCI board..... Im pretty sure the controller will work though biggrin.gif

#5 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:55 PM

just browse newegg for some micro atx htpc cases, can get them for about $100

#6 revans00

revans00

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE(revans00 @ May 24 2008, 03:47 PM) View Post

The Wireless card you have chosen for the wireless well....wont work in the xbox since its ment for a PC

Yeah I wasn't sure about that, which was why I asked about it.

just browse newegg for some micro atx htpc cases, can get them for about $100

Yeah but they're so ugly, Psile = sexy. MIght go for an acrylic custom case

#7 Infamous Ob

Infamous Ob

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • Interests:Family&Children, Traveling, Skateboarding, Cars, Electronics, Music, G4TV, Nice Homes, GTA Modding
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 25 May 2008 - 03:08 AM

QUOTE(lostboyz @ May 23 2008, 08:30 PM) View Post

I feel like I am shooting down a lot of ideas recently, but the xbox just dosent cut it in the media center world anymore.

WHAT! Are you serious right now? Are you saying this in referral to the Xbox 360's Media Center? I hope not... XBMC on a nice Slimbox kills any 360 mod to date!

#8 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 04:07 AM

no I was merely referring to the rising usage of hd media. I love xbmc I will still use it for years to come but my xbox is a piece and will stay that way. I was just pointing out spending that much money might as well get a popcorn hour or something

#9 qsebas

qsebas

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:07 AM

revans.. you missed the point ... XBOX as a media center is great because is extremly cheap .. for 150 bucks (there in the US) you have a new XBox .. or you can buy it for 50$ - 100$ used on ebay....

you can spend additional 50$ - 100$ for a quite big HD, and 10$ extra for the remote...

No self made Media center can fight (by far) with that... maybe only a little case can cost 150$ ...

I you whant to spend money (750 GB, Psile, etc) buy a regular motherboard, CPU and memory... and you will have a much more powerfull Media center than an XBox (and much more sexy too) .. you can put an XBMC on windows or on linux...

try to adapt thoses things on your XBox will be a pain in the ass, and you will fail on almost every thing (I seriously doubt you can put that HD on an XB, or but the XB mother on the psile, or use a PCI Card, or use a wireless ethernet.. etc)

#10 Infamous Ob

Infamous Ob

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • Interests:Family&Children, Traveling, Skateboarding, Cars, Electronics, Music, G4TV, Nice Homes, GTA Modding
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE(lostboyz @ May 24 2008, 08:43 PM) View Post

no I was merely referring to the rising usage of hd media. I love xbmc I will still use it for years to come but my xbox is a piece and will stay that way. I was just pointing out spending that much money might as well get a popcorn hour or something

I still think a nice Slimbox and XBMC is better.

QUOTE(qsebas @ May 24 2008, 11:43 PM) View Post

XBOX as a media center is great because is extremly cheap

Exactly! Cheap, easy to do and fun.

#11 FourTwentySmiles

FourTwentySmiles

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:05 AM

I have several XBMC's around the house. I dont think I could have as many, if I were to buy all those media centers.
Xbmc does exactly what I need.....and I barter for the xboxs, get the HDDs cheap, do the work myself.

I can have a new-to-me XBMC with a 250Gb HDD in a matter of hours for about 100 bucks....hook it to my network, and have 1000's of hour of entertainment. Make it look how I want it to look.....Run how I need it to run.

How is paying all that money and not having the benefit of controlling the apperance or HDD capacity, compair to being able to have company over and say.....

"Yeah....I built that in a couple hours, last Saturday...250 Gigs of space....you like the way I put that awsome picture of Dale Jr's car in the background. It has 266 movies on it, and 44 seasons of TV shows. Plus my whole music library....plays all my favorite games...everything from NES to PS1. Did I mention...It plays all the picture CDs that my wife burns, like that one from last years 4th of July, when you made out with that fat chick, then barfed on her.....remember, anyways. Yeah....does all that stuff plus more. That's why I didnt buy that media center you bought." Then your buddy says....."Man....thats sweet as hell.....and Dont EVER mention that fat chick again."

Doesnt that sound better than just buying some media center from Best Buy?

"FourTwenty biggrin.gif s"

Edited by FourTwentySmiles, 25 May 2008 - 08:09 AM.

#12 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:10 AM

Well, yeah, but I reckon qsebas has a point - If you were to use XBMC on a PC, you could have pretty much all of that anyway (plus the extra grunt required to play whatever HD content you might have). Sure it won't play games, but think of all the X-Box hardware limitations that suddenly go out the window...

On the other hand... $100 for an X-Box + 250gb HDD? Where did you find THAT deal?! blink.gif

#13 FourTwentySmiles

FourTwentySmiles

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:11 PM

Told ya....I barter for the Xbox..( most people around me are wanting to give them away, cause they now have a next-gen console)....then I go to my local Comp-USA, Best-Buy or Computer Super Store and get a 200+ Gb IDE drive ( w-d or seagate) for around 100 bucks.

I found a 300 Gb HDD at Office Max for 100 bucks last year.

#14 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:06 PM

sounds like a good deal on the xbox side but, I got a 160gb for $30 4 years ago, just picked up a 750 for $120, and about to buy a 400 for $65. Think you need to rethink your HD sales

#15 FourTwentySmiles

FourTwentySmiles

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:45 PM

I dont think I need to do anything.......just because you get something cheaper than me doesnt mean I need something new. It means that you live somewhere that I dont live. or that you order deals online, and I would rather my family's banking stay off my PC......or even perhaps it means that I have a choice....a simple choice. A choice to do what I want, cause that what makes me happy.

Sound ok to you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users