guybird

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:48 AM

There's a lot of good wide icons out there, however I like to be consistent and I can't really see where there is one set of icons all in the same format. With this in mind I started making my own icons, and figured I'd throw some up here to see if anyone would be interested in mine or not. Here's a few samples, I plan on doing icons for every emulator, homebrew, category, etc in this fashion. If I get enough comments I'll put up the whole batch. Disclaimer: I am no expert in Photoshop by any means and this is about as good as I can get it. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

#2 underworlderZer0

underworlderZer0

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:18 AM

I would be interested, but only if you made icons for all of the following consoles:

Atari 2600
Colecovision
Intellivision
MSX
X6800
NES
Sega Master System/ Game Gear
Sega Genesis
Super NES
Turbo Grafx 16
Gameboy/ Gameboy Advance
WonderSwan
Neo Geo Pocket
Atari Lynx
Playstation

If I could find consistent icons for all of my emulators, that would be the sweetest, but otherwise, there's really good quality icons out there already.

#3 FourTwentySmiles

FourTwentySmiles

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:41 AM

guybird said he can't really see where there is one set of icons all in the same format.....so I would guess if people like the examples he put up, he would do an entire set.....meaning a complete set of ALL Emulators, not just the ones that he uses.
Am I right, Guybird?

#4 RMM

RMM

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 03:16 PM

I like those icons a lot for a couple of reasons. One is you have a nice big picture of the console and two you have the console name and logo real big as well. There is definitely a need for wide icons like that. Most wide icons out now usually dont have the picture of the console or look cartoonish and dont represent the console very well IMO.

#5 guybird

guybird

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:29 PM

Yeah, the reason I took this setup is that I've always in the past used Hargle's icons when displaying in large icons. I've always liked wide icons, and have switched over to them, but always switched back to Hargle's after awhile as they were so much better and consistent. I accidentally applied the graident while trying to do something else, but it worked so well, I stuck with it. As a lot of consoles are dark, even black in color, I never seen the point in putting them on a black background. This seems to give the best of both worlds. I'm trying to keep as close to the original system logos as possible, using replacement fonts when I have to. I think I have a bit tweaking to do with some of them as they look fine here, but once on the xbox some aren't readable. I'll post up the rest of what I have so far, and continue creating the rest. I initially stuck with Sega/Nintendo so I could reuse the logo as much as possible.

#6 guybird

guybird

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:57 PM

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

That's what I've made for now. I'm going to try to finish up the rest of the emulators today, and then start on Arcade & PC games.

#7 guybird

guybird

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:27 PM

Here's all the Atari's:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

#8 FourTwentySmiles

FourTwentySmiles

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:08 PM

It's really lookin nice.......

How about a set where they look exactly like what you have here, but where the blue is, it is transparent?

Edited by FourTwentySmiles, 25 May 2008 - 09:13 PM.

#9 guybird

guybird

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:50 PM

I had actually considered that too. I think that would totally depend on what skin you have as to how well it would look. I'll look into that after I complete the set.

#10 guybird

guybird

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:50 AM

Here's the last of what I've done for today. I'll try to finish off the emulators tomorrow.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

If anyone can find a better source for the Daphne logo, let me know as this one looks like ass.

#11 NineT9mustang

NineT9mustang

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:46 AM

QUOTE(guybird @ May 24 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

I can't really see where there is one set of icons all in the same format. I plan on doing icons for every emulator, homebrew, category, etc in this fashion.

You do realize there has been 3 people who have done complete sets of Emulators/Homebrew/Applicaitons...

Personally, I have done a Wide Icon for every single Emulator, Homebrew, and Application all in the same style/format. As seen in the Wide Icon page right, and shown here:

IPB Image
(Ive even provided the Border for people to use to make their own sets)

I'm not trying to hijack your thread at all... Just trying to save you some time since you stated you couldn't find a set with all the same format, and its already been done as shown above.

Of course, if you did know this, and still want to do your own obviously thats fine, and you have done real nice work from your screenshots and im personally looking forward to more!

Again, not trying to hijack your thread here! I know its hard to look thru 1,500+ Posts from the Wide Icon thread! You simply said you couldn't find any sets, but sets have been done by atleast 3 people, including myself biggrin.gif

Anyway, good luck & good work smile.gif

Edited by NineT9mustang, 26 May 2008 - 02:51 AM.

#12 guybird

guybird

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:44 AM

Yes I do realize that you of all people have made one for every program, but I didn't really care for your style (no offense). I mainly though rely on the Media Icons site to browse through what's there. There are a number of icons there, but nothing that covers an entire set, maybe 50% of what's out there. Once again, no offense, as there is plenty of nice ones out there, but besiedes your set, I haven't seen anything that covers the whole nine yards with one uniform style. Jish has a nice set going, but it doesn't have every emulator under it. DoomMaster has a nice style, but only 10 or so icons. As far as I can tell, your SVN site only has your set. Not trying to be rude, but where are the other sets at?

Look here and you can count out 60 unique systems that the Xbox emulates (there are multiple versions there for some systems). That's not including category icons (Arcade, Console, etc) and a handful of homebrew programs. Once you count all that up, that's about 80 or so individual icons. I'm trying to replicate that page's icons in wide format, and then some. Now I know there's a slight possibility that there is some nice icons in the various wide icon threads, but not 80+ from anyone other than you. So I may have misspoke when I said "no complete sets" exist when really one does (yours). Once again, not trying to offend or sound rude, but I just haven't seen anything else out there. On a related note, I realize you may not have the time to do so, but why don't you/someone for you upload your images to the Media Icons site? You really can't beat being able to see all the different styles, and then apply your theme to it (glossy, rounded, etc).

#13 NineT9mustang

NineT9mustang

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:15 AM

QUOTE(guybird @ May 25 2008, 08:20 PM) View Post

Yes I do realize that you of all people have made one for every program, but I didn't really care for your style (no offense). I mainly though rely on the Media Icons site to browse through what's there. There are a number of icons there, but nothing that covers an entire set, maybe 50% of what's out there. Once again, no offense, as there is plenty of nice ones out there, but besiedes your set, I haven't seen anything that covers the whole nine yards with one uniform style. Jish has a nice set going, but it doesn't have every emulator under it. DoomMaster has a nice style, but only 10 or so icons. As far as I can tell, your SVN site only has your set. Not trying to be rude, but where are the other sets at?

Look here and you can count out 60 unique systems that the Xbox emulates (there are multiple versions there for some systems). That's not including category icons (Arcade, Console, etc) and a handful of homebrew programs. Once you count all that up, that's about 80 or so individual icons. I'm trying to replicate that page's icons in wide format, and then some. Now I know there's a slight possibility that there is some nice icons in the various wide icon threads, but not 80+ from anyone other than you. So I may have misspoke when I said "no complete sets" exist when really one does (yours). Once again, not trying to offend or sound rude, but I just haven't seen anything else out there. On a related note, I realize you may not have the time to do so, but why don't you/someone for you upload your images to the Media Icons site? You really can't beat being able to see all the different styles, and then apply your theme to it (glossy, rounded, etc).

Ah gotcha, no offense taken at all whatsoever biggrin.gif Cant please everyone, and having more is only a good thing smile.gif

As far as Media Icons site, I think I've been there once, just not my thing I guess... I just like to keep things simple and just have my thread for wide icons and any requests smile.gif Theres a few reasons more why I dont go to Media Icons, but thats a bit offtopic and dont wanna waiste time in your thread talking about it wink.gif

With my SVN... There was really 2 things that were imporant to me in that SVN that had more priority then others... 1) ALL Xbox Game Wide Icons 2) A Full set of Emulator/Homebrew/Application Wide Icons... So I put my emu/homebrew/app set in there, and ive just been too lazy to find other sets and upload them, no disrespect to anyones work smile.gif

Like I said though, no offense is taken at all, even if you flat out said they were ugly and looked like a 8year old girl made them in mspaint, its all good biggrin.gif

Good to see someone take the time to do a full set though, I'm like you, Id rather see consistancy then random different styles for different emulators/homebrew/etc

Looking forward to the rest of your wides, maybe I'll use them instead of mine biggrin.gif

#14 FourTwentySmiles

FourTwentySmiles

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:13 AM

IPB Image

This help you any?

#15 guybird

guybird

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:19 AM

That logo will defintely help... Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users