• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 aussie_dylan

aussie_dylan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:29 PM

Well I bought a couple of systems off ebay to fix for my mates.

I fixed this particular xbox which wasn't putting out any video (no error code, just no video!) with an x clamp fix (RBJ MKIII method) and it worked perfectly!

Then I found out he wanted a VGA port to hook it up to his comp monitor. doh. SO i went about putting that in and again did so successfully. The only problem was, was that the colour was really washed out. I thought this was due to some faulty solder so i took out the mobo which of course involves taking off the heatsinks and ever since putting it all back together i have been receiving error code 0020!!!!! arrgghhh.

I have played around with the bolt tension - nothing.

replaced the thermal paste with the new MX-2 compound - nothing.

Ran without fans to overheat - nothing.

Anyone out there?

P.S- when i got the xbox there was no thermal pads on the bottom ram. could this be the source of the problem? anyone know where to get some of these in AUS?

thanks any help you can give.

Dylan smile.gif

Edited by aussie_dylan, 25 May 2008 - 02:31 PM.

#2 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:07 PM

the thermal pads wouldnt be the problem (but if you must have them, i can sell you some. just send me a PM). i would suggest you give the GPU a reflow

#3 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE(aussie_dylan @ May 25 2008, 04:05 PM) View Post

Well I bought a couple of systems off ebay to fix for my mates.

I fixed this particular xbox which wasn't putting out any video (no error code, just no video!) with an x clamp fix (RBJ MKIII method) and it worked perfectly!

Then I found out he wanted a VGA port to hook it up to his comp monitor. doh. SO i went about putting that in and again did so successfully. The only problem was, was that the colour was really washed out. I thought this was due to some faulty solder so i took out the mobo which of course involves taking off the heatsinks and ever since putting it all back together i have been receiving error code 0020!!!!! arrgghhh.

I have played around with the bolt tension - nothing.

replaced the thermal paste with the new MX-2 compound - nothing.

Ran without fans to overheat - nothing.

Anyone out there?

P.S- when i got the xbox there was no thermal pads on the bottom ram. could this be the source of the problem? anyone know where to get some of these in AUS?

thanks any help you can give.

Dylan smile.gif

You could just get the Xecuter ROD kit it consists out of 4 pads and 2 screwdrivers tongue.gif

I guess 0020 means that 2 solderballs are shorting out. It can be caused when you put too much pressure on the GPU. I also had an xbox that some retard heatgunned previously and he flattened all the solderballs under the bottom RAM...
Just loosen the screws a bit and try again.
Getting a professional reflow is the most permanent fix though...

#4 aussie0275

aussie0275

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:44 PM

g'day mate, that is the same thing as i have been told, get it reflowed or you are fucked. I have played with the tensioning if the bolts til the cows came home.....nothing. I have left the main board out of my system for a while now about 3 weeks, and where it was warped it seems to flattening out. I have also read somewhere that 0020 is purely cpu related so i will play wth the tightness on the cpu side next. I am completely over it all though. I am in Ballarat vic, where are you?

#5 aussie_dylan

aussie_dylan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE(scuba156 @ May 26 2008, 02:43 AM) View Post

the thermal pads wouldnt be the problem (but if you must have them, i can sell you some. just send me a PM). i would suggest you give the GPU a reflow

thanks for your reply. Do you know of anyone in Aus that does good reflow jobs? good to know its not the thermal pads. smile.gif

QUOTE(aussie0275 @ May 26 2008, 08:20 AM) View Post

g'day mate, that is the same thing as i have been told, get it reflowed or you are fucked. I have played with the tensioning if the bolts til the cows came home.....nothing. I have left the main board out of my system for a while now about 3 weeks, and where it was warped it seems to flattening out. I have also read somewhere that 0020 is purely cpu related so i will play wth the tightness on the cpu side next. I am completely over it all though. I am in Ballarat vic, where are you?

I have read that too and played with the CPU for ages and same result as you - nothing. Its bloody annoying this error code. Worst part about it is that it WAS working!! lol... oh well looks like i will look at reflowing techniques.

I am in Tasmania btw. wink.gif

#6 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE(aussie0275 @ May 26 2008, 12:20 AM) View Post

Well it is definitely not only CPU related. I got it for bridged solderballs under the RAM and several others are getting it for bridge solder balls under the GPU. It can be the CPU as well though but I doubt that, it is more likely the GPU...

#7 aussie_dylan

aussie_dylan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:53 AM

cool..

Now i just need to find someone to reflow it smile.gif ?

any ideas?

#8 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:59 AM

you can try any electronics repair store, they ussually relfow BGA chips for customers, or you can look in the firmware flashers section for somone in your local area, but im basically one of the only australian repairer's on X-S. im in VIC so i dont know how much shipping would be. id suggest you try the local repair shops first.

@aussie0275 - what a coincedence, im in ballarat too

Edited by scuba156, 26 May 2008 - 10:59 AM.

#9 randon_i_am

randon_i_am

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:30 PM

im also repairing 360's in Aus, ACT
i had one of my own, also off ebay, after a repair (heat gun ana, southbridge, gpu and cpu then xclamp replacment - seems to fix every fault i've had)

but this one the other day would play for a maybe 5 - 10 mins then rrod, (only a day after a repair) checked it out and it was 0020, turned it off and waited a few mins, turned it on again and same thing. This happend about three times giving 0020 but on the last time i turned it on it done the same but the error code went to 0001 (Power Supply Problem), this psu was one of those dodgy ones from hong kong off ebay

so maybe the two are related maybe not, but it might give you a lead to check out

cheers

sorry i should mention after a new PSU no problems no more 0020 been goin for about a week now really well

Edited by randon_i_am, 26 May 2008 - 12:31 PM.

#10 aussie_dylan

aussie_dylan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE(scuba156 @ May 26 2008, 08:35 PM) View Post

you can try any electronics repair store, they ussually relfow BGA chips for customers, or you can look in the firmware flashers section for somone in your local area, but im basically one of the only australian repairer's on X-S. im in VIC so i dont know how much shipping would be. id suggest you try the local repair shops first.

so you have a reflow oven? or able to do proper reflows?

QUOTE(randon_i_am @ May 26 2008, 10:06 PM) View Post

im also repairing 360's in Aus, ACT
i had one of my own, also off ebay, after a repair (heat gun ana, southbridge, gpu and cpu then xclamp replacment - seems to fix every fault i've had)

but this one the other day would play for a maybe 5 - 10 mins then rrod, (only a day after a repair) checked it out and it was 0020, turned it off and waited a few mins, turned it on again and same thing. This happend about three times giving 0020 but on the last time i turned it on it done the same but the error code went to 0001 (Power Supply Problem), this psu was one of those dodgy ones from hong kong off ebay

so maybe the two are related maybe not, but it might give you a lead to check out

cheers

sorry i should mention after a new PSU no problems no more 0020 been goin for about a week now really well

I have an OEM PSU and have also just tried it with a different OEM PSU and same result so not that im afriad sad.gif

are you able to do proper reflows?

#11 randon_i_am

randon_i_am

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:36 PM

I just do the heatgun trick till it goes that goldish color then let it all cool down

but as for the 0020... tuff one

there was another post on here mentioning that the ram wasn't right and it was giving him 0020

but it would seem that the 0020 i was getting must have been from lack of power, due to the siht PSU

maybe something is drawing more current than it should? just guessing really

#12 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:49 PM

Try this - take of the GPU heatsink and place a 1mm washer on top of the 2 newly-exposed RAM chips, place you heatsink back on correctly, using it to hold the 2 washers in place. If it's a cold solder joint, and not a bridge, then this usually fixes the problem. I know it's a lame fix, but it worked for me for a very long time before I went ahead and heat gunned my system (running perfect for around 5 months so far).

#13 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:25 PM

i use a heatgun to reflow it.it does the same job but i guess can be more risky. its pretty hard to find someone with a personal reflow station as there quite costly. thats why i suggested a local electronics repair shop first

#14 danipukok

danipukok

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:39 PM

after seeing many 0020's pass through, most of the time it's just a basic x-clamp fix with the usual heat up method fan on the cpu heatsink, dvd drive on the gpu and leave it on for 10-15 minutes and it's sorted the problem for me most of the time.

#15 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE(danipukok @ Sep 8 2008, 10:15 PM) View Post

after seeing many 0020's pass through, most of the time it's just a basic x-clamp fix with the usual heat up method fan on the cpu heatsink, dvd drive on the gpu and leave it on for 10-15 minutes and it's sorted the problem for me most of the time.

Ye but it will return after some time for sure, only heatgunning is a permanent solution for that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users