#1 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:50 PM

im creating a internal wireless network adaptor into my 360 using an old second hand adaptor, but the only problem is that is has no antenna.

so what i have to figure out is how the antenna wire actually works. mainly, is the wire sheilded, and also how much of the wire is actually sheilded if it is. i would think that the sheilding would have to end somewhere as the sheild would block out any incoming transmission but i though i would ask you guys first to see if i can get some hard facts on this.

also, something i noticed with this network adaptor is that it has no 5th wire like the one in the tutorial posted in the stickies, i know its not needed but just though id point it out. BTW, i didnt use the tutorial, i worked it out by myself but couldnt get the thing to work, so i thought i would check here to see if my pin-out was correct. turns out, i actually forgot to solder the ground wire to the motherboard tongue.gif

EDIT: if someone knows some alternate points to directly solder the antenna onto the receiver, that would be much better. i prefer soldering to points instead of a port

Edited by scuba156, 26 May 2008 - 09:05 PM.

#2 MadMax808

MadMax808

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:24 PM

do you know if the adapter works with your 360/have you tested it? it was my understanding that only the MS adapter for the 360 was the only one that worked...

i've been wrong before though..

Edited by MadMax808, 26 May 2008 - 09:24 PM.

#3 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:21 AM

it is the official MS wireless network adaptor. and yes it works. i can connect to my router but have absolutly poor reception as my router is on the other side of the hous

#4 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:41 PM

ok, ive got the wires hooked up. the antenna is sheilded.

another problem though. if i have the wire just simply sticking out the back, i can get perfect reception. but i dont really want a wire sticking out the back as it defeats the purpose of making it internal. so i removed the metal sheilding stuck to the lid of the 360 case to put my wires under there. i added an extra layer of sheilding to the wires using foil on the one side, so all wires are sheilded from the 360's components and wont cause interference.

but the problem is, that with that method, i only get 1 red bar of reception on the 360. if i remove the top lid of the 360 (the one with the antenna), and move it away from the 360 then the reception jumps back up again. with the added sheilding ive added, i cant understand whats causing the problem. ive even tried it without the sheilding/foil and i get the same results. any ideas?

if you have trouble understanding what im trying to say, ill take some pics and post them here soon

#5 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:02 PM

Why not have the wire (antenna) out of the cage, so the shielding isn't killing the signal, but still inside the case? Like the area above the AV and Ehternet/USB jacks, the spot where the serial number and all is at, there's a little room there depending on what you're using for an antenna.

#6 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:15 PM

i did have it there but the reception was still pretty low. i thought by having the antenna (which is basically just a loose wire) in the lid of the case, it could have more reception as theres more surface for the wire to cover, as i have my 360 vertical and that side faces my router. i cant move the router any closer as its wired to the PC

maybe my posts werent clear. the wire is out of the 360's sheilding, but still in the case. i hot glued the wire down so it goes left to right to left, and so on. my camara doesnt want to work right now so i cant take a picture

#7 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:01 PM

thanks for the help guys, but ive got it all working now. there was a little bit of wire exposed at the antenna plug on the adaptor that was touching the wires sheild, so i actually had no sheilding on the cable.

i now get full reception, and have the wireless adaptor fully internal.

thanks for the help

#8 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:02 PM

i take that back. the signal strength seems to vary, at at the moment its on 2 bars. i know i can get a stronger signal from here as it use to be fine with my adaptor simply plugged into the usb ports.

tomorrow i might try shortening the antenna wire as it may just be taking to long to travel down the wire. and i also may try stripping most of the unsheilded wire to see if that helps but i dont think it will.

any ideas? also, alternate solder points would still be good, as i dont 100% trust the connection on the antenna plug

#9 Dizzan

Dizzan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:39 PM

I use the linksys wireless game adapter that came out a long time ago, and i always see varying signal. It sounds stupid, but the signal is travelling through the air, so little things such as temperature and barometric pressure can effect it. Mine's even external and with like 6 feet of ethernet cable between it and the system.

Ever have a radio station come in crystal clear one day, and thn crappy the next? That could possibly be why.

As far as antenna length goes, antenna's are usually that length for a reason, and adding to it/cutting it shorter could greatly hinder your singal. I think you said you have it attached to the sheilding? Try unattaching and even removing that top layer of shielding. Also, if possible, trying moving the router... or removing a wall or two in between antenna's (lol).

Also, on a side note, MS is money hungry and tells people that the only wireless adapter that will work is the stupid $100 MS usb one is the only one tha works with the 360. I call shenanigans! Any wireless adapter should work fine as long as it's a repeater and has an ethernet port.

good luck! and good job on gettin it to work man

#10 probowler87

probowler87

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:41 AM

have you ever thought of haveing a RC antena holder and run the wire through there and then stick it in one of the vent holes on the case?

#11 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE(Dizzan @ May 28 2008, 07:15 AM) View Post

I use the linksys wireless game adapter that came out a long time ago, and i always see varying signal. It sounds stupid, but the signal is travelling through the air, so little things such as temperature and barometric pressure can effect it. Mine's even external and with like 6 feet of ethernet cable between it and the system.

Ever have a radio station come in crystal clear one day, and thn crappy the next? That could possibly be why.

As far as antenna length goes, antenna's are usually that length for a reason, and adding to it/cutting it shorter could greatly hinder your singal. I think you said you have it attached to the sheilding? Try unattaching and even removing that top layer of shielding. Also, if possible, trying moving the router... or removing a wall or two in between antenna's (lol).

Also, on a side note, MS is money hungry and tells people that the only wireless adapter that will work is the stupid $100 MS usb one is the only one tha works with the 360. I call shenanigans! Any wireless adapter should work fine as long as it's a repeater and has an ethernet port.

good luck! and good job on gettin it to work man

thanks for the input.

the antenna WAS connected to the sheilding by accident, but that has been fixed. the only part of the antenna that is sheilded is the wire that coming from the adaptor to the top of the case. the rest is unsheilded (apart from the standard MS metal case sheilding on the console)

i will be getting a relay router in my room in a few months, but ill still be using the wireless from the new router, as i want to keep the 360 neat, and the ethernet port will be taken up by my linuxbox

about the antenna length, i would think longer would be better, as its possible to buy hi-gain antennas for a router and there longer than standard antennas. i could be wrong and ill soon find out.

i cannot move the router any closer. i have an ethernet going from the PC to the router, so moving the router would mean i would have no connection at the PC
QUOTE(probowler87 @ May 28 2008, 04:17 PM) View Post

have you ever thought of haveing a RC antena holder and run the wire through there and then stick it in one of the vent holes on the case?

while thats a nice idea, to me it defeats the purpose of having it internal. i dont want the wires, or an antenna showing. i just want to keep it neat really.

but you have given me another idea. i might rip a antenna off a broken radio i have and connect that up. see how that goes outside the case, and if its good, ill try and get it to fit inside the case.

i havnt had a chance to touch it yet, but im just about to. ive got my camara working, so ill take a few pics while i have it open so you can see how i have it set up. i changed the channel on which the wireless signal is being broadcasted from my router, and that improved it slightly but still not enough to have no lag.

i should also add that im not a noob in setting up networks. im just a noob at building an antenna

EDIT: ok here are some pics

The adapter::...:: pretty straight forward. the gray cable is just the usb plug which has the shielding grounded to the case. the wires wrapped in tape is my shielded wires running from the adapter to the case, while the white wire also runs to ground to make sure the antenna gets shielded

The cable::...:: it doesn't look all that great, but it does work well, its been tested

The Antenna::...:: the wires come from the adapter and goes around the case. to the right, i have a straw cut up, with a couple of metal plates glued on it. after some research, i found thats what is actually in the MS wireless adapter antenna .

i tried making the antenna shorter, this did not help. i also tried exposing a wire by stripping it but this also did not help

Edited by scuba156, 28 May 2008 - 01:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users