• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 00diabolic

00diabolic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:37 PM

I have been doing softmods for a while now. I have done about 8 or so xbox's ver 1.0-1.6 and now I am trying to figure out how I did something that was a mistake at the time.

What happened was I was using xboxhdm 1.9 and coming up with a new xboxhdm build using my current xbox as the blueprint. My old xbox was setup using Auto installer deluxe v3.0. I was setting up the old style dual boot with xbox media center with drive closed and software installer deluxe with drive open (which i know uses the udata folder to boot in that case). I did a few different copies to the hard drive using the process of elimination to figure out what everything did on the c drive to get it to boot.

What I did one of the times was get the xbox to boot to the XBMC dashboard with no DVD Drive attached. I only noticed this because this is how I get the system to unlock the hard drive best for a hotswaping. Now I know thats not supposed to be possible with a softmod but I swear I did it and now I want to know how I did it so i can do it again.

Do any of you have an idea of how I did this? Is it possibly just a fluke and maybe some kind of bug?

On another attempt. I was able to get my system to ignore xbox games in the drive and boot to the dashboard. I believe that is the same trick as booting the xbox without a dvd drive attached but I'm not sure.

I understand that the udata folder is where the xbox stores some of the boot data for the xbox. Can someone explain the boot process of the xbox to me? What does it look at first? The udata/tdata folder or does it look at c first and then jump to the udata folder?

I hope someone can unravel this mystery and I can get this done again. blink.gif Thanks. rolleyes.gif

Edited by 00diabolic, 27 May 2008 - 07:39 PM.

#2 FourTwentySmiles

FourTwentySmiles

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:40 PM

How can we tell you what you did......you did it. You tell us.

#3 00diabolic

00diabolic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE(FourTwentySmiles @ May 27 2008, 05:16 PM) View Post

How can we tell you what you did......you did it. You tell us.

Well i was hoping someone else had possibly stumbled upon this themselves.

So is it correct that with a softmod you can not boot with no dvd drive attached? There should be no conceivable way to do that correct?

Is it also true that it is impossible to have the system ignore a xbox game in the drive when booting? I know I had this working but somehow I broke it when i updated from SID 3.0 to SID 4.5.

I have scoured the net for hours looking for someone who might have done what I did and no where have i found that. At least if I know the above two questions are impossible I can end my search and chalk it up to totally freak thing that wont happen again.

Edited by 00diabolic, 27 May 2008 - 11:15 PM.

#4 bdf24

bdf24

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE(00diabolic @ May 27 2008, 04:49 PM) View Post

Well i was hoping someone else had possibly stumbled upon this themselves.

So is it correct that with a softmod you can not boot with no dvd drive attached? There should be no conceivable way to do that correct?

Is it also true that it is impossible to have the system ignore a xbox game in the drive when booting? I know I had this working but somehow I broke it when i updated from SID 3.0 to SID 4.5.

I have scoured the net for hours looking for someone who might have done what I did and no where have i found that. At least if I know the above two questions are impossible I can end my search and chalk it up to totally freak thing that wont happen again.

The only time I've been able to boot the system with disk in the drive is when it had a hard time reading the disk. I'm not sure what you did?

#5 00diabolic

00diabolic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:33 AM

Well must be impossible then. I'll chalk it up to just some weird fluke. It did only happen once.

Thanks for the help guys.

#6 FourTwentySmiles

FourTwentySmiles

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:59 AM

Is it also true that it is impossible to have the system ignore a xbox game in the drive when booting?

XBMC has a setting to ignore xbox discs on boot.

#7 00diabolic

00diabolic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE(FourTwentySmiles @ May 28 2008, 03:35 AM) View Post

XBMC has a setting to ignore xbox discs on boot.

Yeah thats only once XBMC is loaded. If a game disk is left in the drive it will load it automatically which also disables or does not allow for IGR. Basicly what I had was the xbox completely ignoring the fact that the DVD drive was there except for the power cord. What was neat is it would never load a game i left in the drive by mistake. I loved that because then I could choose to load them later in XBMC and have in game reset.

#8 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:47 AM

The dvd boot feature is a safety feature of nkpatcher (assuming you are using one of the Ndure packages) in case things go wrong. It is best to leave it there.

#9 00diabolic

00diabolic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:28 AM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ May 29 2008, 08:23 PM) View Post

The dvd boot feature is a safety feature of nkpatcher (assuming you are using one of the Ndure packages) in case things go wrong. It is best to leave it there.

I dont really need it as a safety feature. I can always hot swap if needed to fix things. How can I disable it?
Or rather how can I disable the games from auto booting if left in the drive?

#10 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:31 AM

QUOTE(00diabolic @ May 30 2008, 12:04 PM) View Post

I dont really need it as a safety feature. I can always hot swap if needed to fix things. How can I disable it?
Or rather how can I disable the games from auto booting if left in the drive?

google nkpatcher11_u04 you need recompile bios.xbe after changing config file

Edited by ldotsfan, 30 May 2008 - 06:32 AM.

#11 00diabolic

00diabolic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ May 30 2008, 02:07 AM) View Post

google nkpatcher11_u04 you need recompile bios.xbe after changing config file

Ok got NKPatcher11_U04.rar now. But once i get it I edit the config file and change that option and nkpatcher will patch the bios.xbe. Then i put the bios.xbe inside the SID folder on the C drive right?

Then it will work?

If I got it all wrong please correct me. I have a bios.xbe inside the SID folder on my C drive now.

EDIT: I got NKPatcher11_U04.rar but I cant tell what to do with this thing. Is there a guide on how to use this or can you walk me through it.

THANK YOU rolleyes.gif

Edited by 00diabolic, 30 May 2008 - 06:46 PM.

#12 00diabolic

00diabolic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:09 PM

EDIT2: I got NKPatcher11_U04.rar and i looked at the readme and config.inc. Is there a guide on how to use this or can you walk me through it??

The config.inc is pretty confusing. I just want a standard dual boot. Tray closed XBMC and tray open Software installer deluxe and of course games do not auto boot when in tray so i always have IGR. If there is a way to always have IGR that will work also?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP rolleyes.gif

Edited by 00diabolic, 30 May 2008 - 07:10 PM.

#13 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:33 AM

I'm not familiar with SID file/folder structure so I can't help you there. Anyway with a softmod, I think an original game disc will load from dvd no matter what you do with nkpatcher because nkpatcher has no chance of loading, only backups will trigger the tray state logic and suppress the loading.

All my information is from the config .inc files as well. Just make sure you have eeprom backup and backups of important files you changed before you experiment - that's how I learnt it too.

One more thing, this is from xman954's post. I save this in my copy of nkpatcher to remind myself:

CODE

;;;---------------------------------------------------------------------------
;;;the order that the options are tested
;;;1 TRAY_BOOT
;;;if tray is open
;;;2 TRI_BOOT
;;;3 CLOSE_TRAY_ALLWAYS
;;;4 PATCH_BACK_MS_KEY (if defined boots PB_OPEN_PATH )
;;;5 OPEN_DASH_WITH_NKP
;;;boot OPEN_PATH

Edited by ldotsfan, 31 May 2008 - 12:36 AM.

#14 HeeZy01

HeeZy01

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:54 PM

i hope someone can figure this out as i have been recently getting error 11, which means my dvd drive is acting up. i have to wait a few minutes and power it back on for everything to boot correctly.

this happens after i boot xbmc as my default dash > surreal64. after i play for a while and load state, i sometimes get a black screen and it just freezes. i then have to power off. then when i power it back on, i get the error 11. if i can just get a softmod to ignore the dvd drive on boot, i can bypass the error 11. like pressing the power button to boot ignores the dvd drive, while pressing the eject to boot is the normal boot or something.

#15 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE(HeeZy01 @ Jun 8 2008, 11:30 PM) View Post

if i can just get a softmod to ignore the dvd drive on boot, i can bypass the error 11. like pressing the power button to boot ignores the dvd drive, while pressing the eject to boot is the normal boot or something.

It's not technically possible for current softmods as they all use an exploitable xboxdash and this happens too late in the boot sequence when the xbox kernel has already gone through all the necessary checks.

The next best thing is for you to tsop flash your xbox assuming you don't have a xbox 1.6. The current crop of bios will have ignore dvd drive capability.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users