Photo

New To Shortcuts. Need Wide Icon Help...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 J8son

J8son

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:53 AM

I am experimenting using the Win32 environment of XBMC on my PC to familiarize myself with the process of using Media Sources and Wide Icons before I install them on my actual Xbox.

I've been able to get the .cut files working but I'm a bit confused on something...

For instance. I have a wide icon of Mortal Kombat in a "thumbs" folder. So, to launch this I created the following cut file:

<shortcut>
<path>E:\Emulators\NeoGenesis\default.xbe</path>
<label>Mortal Kombat</label>
<thumb>E:\thumbs\mk.jpg</thumb>
<custom>
<game>E:\Emulators\NeoGenesis\sgenroms\Mortal Kombat.smd</game>
</custom>
</shortcut

But, what I'm stuck on is how to set up a wide icon of my Sega Genesis in the directory BEFORE this that, when selected, will list all my Sega games? What type of shortcut would I need for that?

Thanks wink.gif

#2 competes2win

competes2win

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:06 AM

QUOTE(J8son @ May 28 2008, 12:29 AM) View Post

I am experimenting using the Win32 environment of XBMC on my PC to familiarize myself with the process of using Media Sources and Wide Icons before I install them on my actual Xbox.

I've been able to get the .cut files working but I'm a bit confused on something...

For instance. I have a wide icon of Mortal Kombat in a "thumbs" folder. So, to launch this I created the following cut file:
But, what I'm stuck on is how to set up a wide icon of my Sega Genesis in the directory BEFORE this that, when selected, will list all my Sega games? What type of shortcut would I need for that?

Thanks wink.gif

Make a sega genesis folder, with an icon named folder.jpg in it as well as all your .cut files.

#3 J8son

J8son

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:47 PM

Thanks Compete. Your really helping me with all my XBMC issues lately aren't you? wink.gif

I tried the above suggestion but just dropping in the media source with the folder.jpg image inside it didn't work that way but by right clicking and selecting "Choose Thumbnail" I was able to assign it the proper icon (much in the same way I would do a Windows XP folder).

I was wondering though, is this the easiest way to do this? I assumed you might also be able to accomplish this using the same shortcut method with a .cut file?

#4 competes2win

competes2win

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE(J8son @ May 28 2008, 12:23 PM) View Post

Thanks Compete. Your really helping me with all my XBMC issues lately aren't you? wink.gif

I tried the above suggestion but just dropping in the media source with the folder.jpg image inside it didn't work that way but by right clicking and selecting "Choose Thumbnail" I was able to assign it the proper icon (much in the same way I would do a Windows XP folder).

I was wondering though, is this the easiest way to do this? I assumed you might also be able to accomplish this using the same shortcut method with a .cut file?

in your hdd directory your going to need a place to put all your .cut files anyway so why not just put them in folders represented by the system icons? what would your .cut file point to anyhow?

When I had my .cut file system going I used to have folders named super nintendo, nintendo, and Sega Genesis all in the same directory as my games so that you would see my wide icons for my xbox games alongside my system icons for those three systems, upon clicking one of the systems you would then be inside that folder with all the wide icons for the roms i had linked through the .cut method...

#5 J8son

J8son

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:36 AM

Thanks for the update Compete.

I think one of the issues I was having with your earlier method is that I'm trying to simulate it on a PC as opposed to doing it locally on my Xbox hard drive. I'm sure your method will work well once I actually transfer everything over to my Xbox via FTP. Also, your right about the .cut file. I was thinking about that myself earlier and there is no real way, that I can see, a shortcut to link to a another folder full of shortcuts lol smile.gif

Now, I just need to figure out how to edit .xml to add the views I want to my Basics-Vision skin and I'm all set!

Thanks again wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users