#1 J8son

J8son

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:04 AM

I was wondering...

Is it possible to edit a skin and add a view that may not currently be present?

IE: I love the DVD Wrap and Cover Flow views. However, I find that in many skins it is not available under the Programs menu. Is it possible to edit a .xml or some other such file and add this where needed?

Just curious...

#2 competes2win

competes2win

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE(J8son @ May 28 2008, 12:40 AM) View Post

I was wondering...

Is it possible to edit a skin and add a view that may not currently be present?

IE: I love the DVD Wrap and Cover Flow views. However, I find that in many skins it is not available under the Programs menu. Is it possible to edit a .xml or some other such file and add this where needed?

Just curious...

Look in the skin's commonviewtypes.xml and see what the view you like is called and then add it with the other included views in the myprograms.xml

#3 J8son

J8son

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:42 PM

I've tried adding the information and editing the .XML file several different ways but when I reload the skin in never seems to work (although I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong since I'm a novice at working with .XML files).

I basically want to add the "Cover-Flow" view to the Programs menu in the Basics-Vision skin as seen here:

IPB Image

Once I figure out how to do it here I can start applying other views elsewhere.

#4 J8son

J8son

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:10 AM

QUOTE(Jezz_X @ Mar 24 2008, 07:55 PM) View Post

Programs add it yourself its a 1 liner add <include>3d_CoverView_Music</include> to the place with the other view includes in myprograms.xml but I won't be making it a default

Why is it that I open up myprograms.xml and simply add the <include>3d_CoverView_Music</include> to the views list and save but it never works?

#5 CHI3f

CHI3f

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE(J8son @ May 29 2008, 12:46 AM) View Post

Why is it that I open up myprograms.xml and simply add the <include>3d_CoverView_Music</include> to the views list and save but it never works?

You will also have to open up Common3d_CoverView.xml and edit line 1249 to
CODE
<visible>Container.Content(Albums) | Window.IsVisible(Musicfiles) | Window.IsVisible(Programs)</visible>

Then reload the skin or restart XBMC and it should work fine. Also make sure that you are doing these edits in the right folder, it will not work if you have the resolution on the xbox set to 720p or above and you are working in the PAL folder.

Edited by CHI3f, 29 May 2008 - 11:38 PM.

#6 J8son

J8son

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE(CHI3f @ May 29 2008, 07:11 PM) View Post

You will also have to open up Common3d_CoverView.xml and edit line 1249 to
CODE
<visible>Container.Content(Albums) | Window.IsVisible(Musicfiles) | Window.IsVisible(Programs)</visible>

Then reload the skin or restart XBMC and it should work fine. Also make sure that you are doing these edits in the right folder, it will not work if you have the resolution on the xbox set to 720p or above and you are working in the PAL folder.

THANKS CHI3f! I can see why your title is "expert" under your avatar. That last bit of code was the missing piece of the puzzle. Now everything is working great!

Now, I have something a little more technical but I'm sure you know the answer.

Basics-Vision could very well be the best looking front-end of any system (and that included Windows Media Center, iPhone and a million others). However it's missing a lot of the really great basic views (IE: Big Wide Icons & DVD Wrap are the two I need the most).

Is it possible that I can edit the .xml and add these views to the skin when they were not included initially (IE: not just a simple copy and paste job)?

Edited by J8son, 30 May 2008 - 04:35 AM.

#7 J8son

J8son

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:37 PM

UPDATE:

With a little reading (actually A LOT OF READING) through some tutorials in skinning on the XBMC Wiki plus a lot of comparison of .xml files between skins (and looking for similar patterns) I'm able to not only edit current views but add views from other skins!

Thanks for all the help. I'll possibly upload the new version of the skin when I'm done.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users