8 replies to this topic

#1 3xpl0it

3xpl0it

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:42 PM

Hello,

I have had my Nintendo Wii for almost a year now, and my disks are starting to look a bit scuffed up. I haven't really payed much attention to modding the Wii. Is there any way to play backup's on the Wii without having to purchase a mod chip?

Thanks in advance,
-3xpl0it

#2 banner

banner

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE(3xpl0it @ May 28 2008, 09:18 PM) View Post

Hello,

I have had my Nintendo Wii for almost a year now, and my disks are starting to look a bit scuffed up. I haven't really payed much attention to modding the Wii. Is there any way to play backup's on the Wii without having to purchase a mod chip?

Thanks in advance,
-3xpl0it

the answer is NO

you'll need to open ur wii up to see which chip u have and then get the right chip for ur wii

i live in hertfordshire/watford if u need help

#3 3xpl0it

3xpl0it

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:05 AM

Well I live in the USA, so that would suck miserable to ship cussing.gif

Anywho, I would like to buy a modchip then. What do I look for to decide which chip to use? Also, what chip plays backup's, and do any of the chips allow updates that you could download online (I think I saw a homebrew actually do something like this tongue.gif)

Also, what would the cheapest place be in the USA to purchase a chip?

Thanks in advance,
-3xpl0it

#4 commandersafi

commandersafi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:31 AM

Before you even think about buying a chip you need to check what version wii you have. Depending on which wii you have will determine the price and complexity of the install

#5 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(3xpl0it @ May 29 2008, 05:41 PM) View Post

Well I live in the USA, so that would suck miserable to ship cussing.gif

Anywho, I would like to buy a modchip then. What do I look for to decide which chip to use? Also, what chip plays backup's, and do any of the chips allow updates that you could download online (I think I saw a homebrew actually do something like this tongue.gif)

Also, what would the cheapest place be in the USA to purchase a chip?

Thanks in advance,
-3xpl0it

backups and homebrew are 2 different things on the wii, any chip should let you run wii and gamecube backups, and gamecube homebrew, but youll have to do the twilight princess hack for wii homebrew (just rent it if you dont have it and install the homebrew channel)

#6 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:42 PM

To get a good idea of what chip you will needl, go here:
http://wiitracker.nintendo-scene.com/

You will also need a decent sized SD card to make backups, or a particular DVD drive for your PC.
more info here:
http://wiki-scene.com/Wii_Disc_Backup/

#7 3xpl0it

3xpl0it

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE(throwingks @ May 30 2008, 11:18 AM) View Post

To get a good idea of what chip you will needl, go here:
http://wiitracker.nintendo-scene.com/

You will also need a decent sized SD card to make backups, or a particular DVD drive for your PC.
more info here:
http://wiki-scene.com/Wii_Disc_Backup/

Hello,

1. Does the link above distribute your serial number? If it does, I do not want to use that method.
2. Do you have to have both the SD card and the DVD Drive, or just one or the other. (Is there a way to just use the dvd drive from the wii to read the disks (Just like the xbox 360)?) Also, if you get the SD card, what brand do you recommend?
3. Is soldering the wires onto those super small pins tough? I know how to solder, but I really haven't tried something that small lol
4. So to play a backup on the Wii, you put the .iso you will make on the SD card and then just boot the game off that? Or if you have that dvd drive, you can burn it on a disk if you would like.

Thanks everyone,
-3xpl0it

#8 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE(3xpl0it @ May 30 2008, 04:48 PM) View Post
1. Does the link above distribute your serial number? If it does, I do not want to use that method.
No, it does not.
2. Do you have to have both the SD card and the DVD Drive, or just one or the other. (Is there a way to just use the dvd drive from the wii to read the disks (Just like the xbox 360)?) Also, if you get the SD card, what brand do you recommend?
  • Just one or the other.
  • You cannot pull the drive from the Wii and use it in your PC.
  • If you go with the SD method, I recommend a chip made in Japan. The quality just seems to be better. But basically, if your Wii recognizes the chip, it should work fine.
3. Is soldering the wires onto those super small pins tough? I know how to solder, but I really haven't tried something that small lol
It can be tough, especially if you have a D2C chip. If you are not comfortable doing it, you can always hire someone to do it for you.
4. So to play a backup on the Wii, you put the .iso you will make on the SD card and then just boot the game off that? Or if you have that dvd drive, you can burn it on a disk if you would like.
You cannot play retail games from an SD card. You can play homebrew games from the SD card though. The SD cardisjustusedto transfer thedisk data to your PC. Most any DVD burner will work for creating backups if you use decent quality media.

Most all of these questions have already been answered at N-S.

#9 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE(3xpl0it @ May 30 2008, 12:48 PM) View Post

Hello,

im pretty sure it doesnt, but heres the relevant info
North American Consoles (USA, Canada, and Mexico) have 3 prefixes LU1, LU3 and LU5. LU1 production seems to have stopped LU3s are still produced in small quantities and LU5s seem to provide most North American production.
LU1
LU10000xxxx - LU10580xxxx D2A/DMS/D2B without cut pins
LU10580xxxx - LU10613xxxx (gamble) Could have D2B or could have D2C
LU10613xxxx - [And Higher] Have D2C Chips

LU3
LU30000xxxx - LU31539xxxx D2A/DMS/D2B without cut pins
LU31539xxxx - LU31546xxxx (gamble) Could be safe could have cut pins
LU31546xxxx - LU31867xxxx Have D2B Chips with Cut pins
LU31867xxxx - LU31874xxxx (gamble) Could have D2B with cut pins or could have D2C
LU31874xxxx - [And Higher] Have D2C Chips

LU5
LU50000xxxx - LU51522xxxx D2A/DMS/D2B without cut pins
LU51522xxxx - LU51634xxxx (gamble) Could be safe could have cut pins
LU51634xxxx - LU52386xxxx Have D2B Chips with Cut pins
LU52386xxxx - LU52390xxxx (gamble) Could have D2B with cut pins or could have D2C
LU52390xxxx - [And Higher] Have D2C Chips

European Consoles - have one Prefix LEH1 though the serial number length ranges from 11 digits to 12 digits.
LEH1000xxxxx - LEH1231xxxxx D2A/DMS/D2B without cut pins
LEH1231xxxxx - LEH1233xxxxx (gamble) Could be safe could have cut pins
LEH1233xxxxx - LEH1347xxxxx Have D2B Chips with Cut pins
LEH1347xxxxx - LEH1356xxxxx (gamble) Could have D2B with cut pins or could have D2C
LEH1356xxxxx - [And Higher] Have D2C Chips

South Pacific Consoles - (Australia and New Zealand) have one Prefix LAH1 though the serial number length ranges from 11 digits to 12 digits.
LAH1000xxxxx - LAH1014xxxxx D2A/DMS/D2B without cut pins
LAH1014xxxxx - LAH1016xxxxx (gamble) Could be safe could have cut pins
LAH1016xxxxx - [And Higher] Have D2B Chips with Cut pins

Japanese Consoles - LJF1 and LJH1
--Not enough info to provide a valuable estimate--

http://forums.ninten...msg2440#msg2440

1 or the other, either read the disc with a PC drive or use the wii to dump to an SD card http://nintendo-scene.com/332

no, there isnt a way to use the wii drive in a PC

its not bad if you have a decent iron (something not from radio shack) try to find a old piece of electronics like a broken xbox, computer part, vcr/dvd player, or whatever and test to see how you do

you can burn the ISO with any DVD burner, the particular dvd drive mentioned is for making the backups from your original discs, the SD method is just another means of doing it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users