7 replies to this topic

#1 peanutismint

peanutismint

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:32 AM

I've just finished an arduous task of soldering a WiiKey chip to my Wii drive, only to have it fail to work.

I chose WiiKey because I bought my console on release day, so figured it must be one of the early chipsets, and after typing my serial number (LEH103xxxxx) into the WiiTracker site, I was advised there was a "...33% chance that your drive chip is a GC2-D2B and a 67% chance that it is a GC2R-D2A."

However, AFTER soldering my modchip to my board and having my Wii work as normal but fail to load the WiiKey config disc, I checked my drive's chipset to find that it was a 'GC2-D1' chip.... probably something I should have checked before I whipped out the ol soldering iron, but there we go...

So does this drive chip mean my Wii is incompatible with the WiiKey chip? And if so, where do I go from here? What chip is compatible?

Xboxes and 360s have Wiis beat hands down in the modability category... :-)

#2 out4it

out4it

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:57 AM

Get a Wasabi. Its only a 5 wire install. Just did 1 and had same problems with wiikey. Get a Wasabi and 10 minutes later you'll be up and runnin! smile.gif

#3 peanutismint

peanutismint

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:49 PM

Okay, thanks, will look into those.

Where did you get yours from?

And are the features comparable to the WiiKey?

#4 XmodsUK

XmodsUK

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:39 PM

Your wiikey should be fine, and should be a straight forward 6 wire install. Just recheck your soldering. Also, you may have issues with how you are burning the update disk.

#5 banner

banner

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:06 AM

first of, did you use wires or did you just solder it on?

if only solder then i would suggest removing and re doing with wires!!!

where abouts u from?
im from the uk/hertfordshire/ pm if you want help installing

#6 out4it

out4it

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE(XmodsUK @ Jun 3 2008, 05:15 PM) View Post

Your wiikey should be fine, and should be a straight forward 6 wire install. Just recheck your soldering. Also, you may have issues with how you are burning the update disk.

Let me clarify. I installed a clone wiikey and it wouldn't work. Have done lots of Wiikeys. Checked with multimeter and everything was good. Even reinstalled 3-4 times because I still questioned my abilities. Here I got a Wasbi and popped it in an worked on first try.

#7 banner

banner

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:00 PM

glad to hear its all working with another chip

one thing to learn from this
dont use CLONES

#8 bigtone0777

bigtone0777

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:42 PM

I have just bought a WiiKey genuine as I'm sure it said on the suppliers web site that it was compatible with all versions of Wii which was very appealing to me only to find my Wii also has the GC2-D1 chipset and there is a solder point missing on the board. Does anyone know if the WiiKey will work only soldering the 5 wires or do I need to buy a chip and if so what chip? I have looked at the Wasabi but at 45 it's a bit expensive. Can anyone advise of compatible chips to suit this chipset?

Thanx

Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users