josiah1992

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:34 AM

i was just wondering if there is any way to add leds to my xbox 360 without the need of soldering because i do not have a soldering iron or any soldering skills.

#2 Steve-0

Steve-0

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:putting blue 3mm led's in things that doesn't already have them, cutting holes, oooh oooh and plexi.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:39 PM

you can get the plug and play ones from talismoon, but for what it would cost you would be better off paying someone to do it for you the plug and play ones are kinda pants if you ask me.

#3 Chimp5000

Chimp5000

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Hacking, Modding, Gaming, XBOXXBOXXBOX!!!
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:07 PM

It isn't that hard to do. Keep in mind that I suck at soldering. I did it for the first time last weekend. I used 6 red leds. I didn't know what type of leds, or how may I would need. I was sort of doing it just to find out.

It turned out well and didn't take as long as I thought it would. However, 6 leds isn't enough. It does give it an evil red glow, but I was looking for brighter.

I suggest trying it out for yourself. It may be a little tedious, but I was pretty happy with myself that I didn't f'it up in the end.

#4 josiah1992

josiah1992

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:27 PM

i would try it myself but i dont have a soldering iron and i dont want to risk ruining or breaking my motherboard.

#5 josiah1992

josiah1992

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:54 PM

would this do the trick?

http://www.divineo.c...v-uk/360-energy

#6 curiouscreature

curiouscreature

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE(josiah1992 @ Jun 1 2008, 12:10 PM) View Post

i was just wondering if there is any way to add leds to my xbox 360 without the need of soldering because i do not have a soldering iron or any soldering skills.

ahaha....i have the answer...now as i don't have my camera right now this is will be sorta difficult to explain without pictures...allow me the time to find some online pictures to aid the proccess...in the mean time..

where are you from?...this would be good to know since some area don't carry this particular item..

#7 josiah1992

josiah1992

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE(curiouscreature @ Jun 1 2008, 08:09 PM) View Post

ahaha....i have the answer...now as i don't have my camera right now this is will be sorta difficult to explain without pictures...allow me the time to find some online pictures to aid the proccess...in the mean time..

where are you from?...this would be good to know since some area don't carry this particular item..

i am in the uk

#8 Steve-0

Steve-0

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:putting blue 3mm led's in things that doesn't already have them, cutting holes, oooh oooh and plexi.

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE(josiah1992 @ Jun 1 2008, 08:30 PM) View Post

anything that draws power from your dvd drive or fans is bad and not worth the hassle, get yourself a soldering iron from maplins and practice on some old stuff we here at the scene will be glad to help you and answer any questions you may have, soldering is a key skill in the modding world you will need to learn sooner rather then later.

#9 josiah1992

josiah1992

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(Steve-0 @ Jun 1 2008, 09:40 PM) View Post

anything that draws power from your dvd drive or fans is bad and not worth the hassle, get yourself a soldering iron from maplins and practice on some old stuff we here at the scene will be glad to help you and answer any questions you may have, soldering is a key skill in the modding world you will need to learn sooner rather then later.

ok thanks. around how much do soldering irons cost?

#10 Steve-0

Steve-0

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:42 PM

maplins have tonnes of good irons here is the link -------> MAPLINS <-------

#11 josiah1992

josiah1992

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE(Steve-0 @ Jun 1 2008, 10:18 PM) View Post

maplins have tonnes of good irons here is the link -------> MAPLINS <-------

thanks for all the help steve, really apreciate it. is this iron ok?
http://www.maplin.co...e...545&doy=1m6

#12 curiouscreature

curiouscreature

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(josiah1992 @ Jun 1 2008, 09:19 PM) View Post

i am in the uk

ok, well at the Fry's Electronics store here in california. you can buy a pretty dinky lookin LED stand for the xbox 360 (not to be confused with the LED cooling stand or the glow stand)...

the stand itself looks pretty standard for a verticle stand except it has a nice bright string of LEDs (powered by USB input) that from i have seen come in, BLUE, RED,GREEN, or YELLOW....i chose BLUE

the stand it'self has 10 phillips head screws...unscrew and dismantle the stand...the string of LEDs should just unclip very easily..and there you go...all i you have to do now is carefully place your new string of LEds in the 360...i dremmled out a little hole right about 1 inch by 1/2 inch right above the ethernet port so i can plug the LED's USB into the 360's USB above the ethernet port...and that's it...

the stand i found came with a little dimmer switch so you can raise and lower the intensity of the LEds according to your taste...

here's what i found on the fry's website and i'll post the direct link incase the picture doesn't show:

USB Blue Light Stand - Xbox 360
HVG2:
FRYS.com #: 5065975

In stock, same day shipping
Detailed Description | Tell a friend| Warranty Info

HVG2

Price: $ 9.99
Click Here to Buy It!
Detailed Description

# Stand for the Xb360 Console
# USB powered Blue LED Lights on base of stand

Requirements

Xbox 360 Game Consol

DIRECT LINK:
http://shop4.frys.co...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

hope this helps a little... and if anyone is wondering why i went through all this for some LEDs?...my brother wanted LEDs in his box but hates the idea of soldering...and wouldn't let me solder...which is dumb...if you ask me, get a soldering iron and do it the right way...i'll post pix of his box when i get my camera back...

#13 josiah1992

josiah1992

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE(curiouscreature @ Jun 2 2008, 07:05 PM) View Post

ok, well at the Fry's Electronics store here in california. you can buy a pretty dinky lookin LED stand for the xbox 360 (not to be confused with the LED cooling stand or the glow stand)...
the stand itself looks pretty standard for a verticle stand except it has a nice bright string of LEDs (powered by USB input) that from i have seen come in, BLUE, RED,GREEN, or YELLOW....i chose BLUE

the stand it'self has 10 phillips head screws...unscrew and dismantle the stand...the string of LEDs should just unclip very easily..and there you go...all i you have to do now is carefully place your new string of LEds in the 360...i dremmled out a little hole right about 1 inch by 1/2 inch right above the ethernet port so i can plug the LED's USB into the 360's USB above the ethernet port...and that's it...
the stand i found came with a little dimmer switch so you can raise and lower the intensity of the LEds according to your taste...
here's what i found on the fry's website and i'll post the direct link incase the picture doesn't show:
USB Blue Light Stand - Xbox 360
HVG2:
FRYS.com #: 5065975

In stock, same day shipping
Detailed Description | Tell a friend| Warranty Info

HVG2

Price: $ 9.99
Click Here to Buy It!
Detailed Description
# Stand for the Xb360 Console
# USB powered Blue LED Lights on base of stand
Requirements

Xbox 360 Game Consol
DIRECT LINK:
http://shop4.frys.co...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
hope this helps a little... and if anyone is wondering why i went through all this for some LEDs?...my brother wanted LEDs in his box but hates the idea of soldering...and wouldn't let me solder...which is dumb...if you ask me, get a soldering iron and do it the right way...i'll post pix of his box when i get my camera back...

ok thanks for all the info curious. i think i might be brave and try my luck with soldering but if all else fails i will use your method. thanks again for all the info i real apreciate it!

#14 shawnvd

shawnvd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:42 AM

just buy yourself a variable 15/30 watt soldering iron with a fairly fine point and some 60/40 rosin core solder, it should do the trick, just go to a local electronics store and ask them which ones are good, a good soldering iron wont be too expensive, im guessing $20.

#15 sabbath_dude

sabbath_dude

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Rock music, Beer
  • Xbox Version:v1.6c
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE(josiah1992 @ Jun 1 2008, 10:53 PM) View Post

ok thanks. around how much do soldering irons cost?

You shouldn't need to spend more than about 5 to get yourself an iron for doing LEDs. All the work I do is done using a 5 iron and I have no problems at all. Try Aldi or Lidl, they always seem to have good stuff for modding. Just make sure it comes with a fine point tip though. Another thing you should buy is a small tub of flux. Flux will make any solder job 10x easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users