6 replies to this topic

#1 pikeytheturtle

pikeytheturtle

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:16 PM

I bought this Xbox more than a year ago, having it run fine with few problems. One day it just won't boot the X2 BIOS. No one is answering my Installer Wanted thread, so I took a look at it.
I'm really confused because the way that it's installed looks nothing like the diagram I found for it.

For example:

IPB Image

Here you can see a number of things:
-First, nothing is soldered to the D0 point on the chip. The D0 point on the Xbox board is grounded. That's what the yellow wire leading up to the screw is

-Second, there's another yellow wire that comes up to the chip, but isn't connected to anything. I have another pic of where that goes

-Third, the BT point is jumped to another pin. I'm assuming this is just to turn the X2 BIOS on whether you hit power or eject. Not a big deal

Here's where the mystery wire is soldered onto the board:

IPB Image

Thanks to anyone that can answer any of the above questions

#2 pikeytheturtle

pikeytheturtle

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:30 PM

I installed a new DuoX2 chip with the D0 connected according to the diagram and it boots up! biggrin.gif

I still have this loose yellow wire, though. I guess I'll just tape it off and let it be

#3 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:59 PM

The yellow wire is soldered to the alternate BT on the board. This usually goes to the BT on the Chip to enable and disable the chip.
It has been disconnected at the chip end because the chip has been wired to always boot from the chips bios (Always enabled)
To do this with a Duo you connect a link from BT on the chip to Pin 9 on the LPC (point G on the Duo diagrams). The Blue wire in this instance.
The D0 is simply connected from motherboard D0 to a ground point on the motherboard. The other yellow wire.
In this case it is connected to the alternate D0 under the board and the wire has been routed through a spare LPC hole.

#4 pikeytheturtle

pikeytheturtle

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:24 PM

All those points make sense. But I though the D0 had to be connected to the chip's D0

Also, after letting it sit for a while it freezes during the animation. It was JUST working

#5 pikeytheturtle

pikeytheturtle

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:43 AM

Okay, apparently it is working. Just not when I leave the dvd drive unplugged. I'm assuming you can make it boot with no dvd drive installed if you reflash with custom settings

#6 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:11 PM

With any chip you can connect D0 from the mobo to ground instead of hooking it up to the chip. Of course the box will always try to boot the LPC in that scenario.
Yes you can flash a bios that skips the DVD check

#7 pikeytheturtle

pikeytheturtle

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for putting up with my noobness mellow.gif I've got it reflashed and working brilliantly. <3 XS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users