RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:40 AM

Hey all, yeah I know it was a bit of a Nintendo reference for the description, but we'll all survive and you'll understand it after reading more if ya don't get it now. wink.gif

After getting the PS360 controller mostly done, I showed it off to a friend that liked it, but said he preferred the PS1/2/3 controller layout for certain game types and wondered if I could make a 360 controller fit in a PS3 shell, so I'm finding out that ya indeed can.

Right now I have the D-pad, Select (Back), PS (Guide) and Start buttons wired up as well as the movements of the Left Stick and they're all working.

This will be a Wired controller when it's all done with, no way would I even think of cramming a Wireless in there unless I had new boards made up (and that entails a whole lot, but is doable) just not enough room for it now how things are setup. No matter how much hacking ya did you'd still end up with a controller twice the size of the PS3 one trying to make it Wireless, this one will look no different really than a stock PS3 controller when it's all done.

The Wired CL board can be cut down to roughly the size of the PS3 controllers battery pack and is where it will sit when it's all done, it's the same board and method I used for the 360 S-controller. The PS3 controller board has been stripped of nearly all components to make room for the board and wiring and is really just there to hold the sticks and button contacts, though they're on a separate film of they're own that still plugs into the main board here, and anyone that's had a PS2/3 controller apart probably knows what I'm referring to.

IPB Image

IPB Image

This poor PS3 controller was a dud anyway, the Tilt on it for some reason was all jacked up and not working from day one, though I didn't find that out until after installing 3 switches and their mess of wiring in it for Southpaw, so needless to say that was infuriating but I just set it off to the side and figured it would come in handy for something sooner or later, and later is here, so it was a perfect candidate for this.

The Mini USB connector will stay in place and any Mini USB cable can be use for plugging it into the 360 or PC. The LEDs will be redone with the stock Greenies from a 360 controller and I may change the buttons over from the PS3 setup to the ABXY and something more resembling a Guide button, not sure yet.

This will all go in the PS3 DualShock 3 controller shell that was originally home to the board I used for the PS360 controller, so it'll have Rumble as well when it's all done, just like it did in it's previous life. The only thing that there will not be, and it gripes me as well, the Triggers will not be analog anymore. This is because of the way the PS3 button contacts are and having to swap it over to the CL layout of the 360 board, it's all just a mess, but when it's all done they will work, just not analog like a stock controller.

Edited by RDC, 12 July 2010 - 07:39 PM.

#2 Drilus

Drilus

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:58 PM

Very nice! I always enjoy good pictures of the design process. pop.gif

#3 MickRaider

MickRaider

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts
  • Interests:I have no interests
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:46 PM

RDC I think you need a girlfriend tongue.gif

Another interesting project though. I'm surprised how many people love the Dual Shock controller and loathe the 360 controller. I guess they go with what they're used to...

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:06 PM

If only that word weren't such an oxymoron and the majority of them just being the latter half of that word. wink.gif OK, now back to something that wouldn't blame me for something I didn't actually do and lets me see where my money is really going. Everything but the Rumble motors and L2/R2 (Triggers) are all wired up and the LEDs swapped over to green. Not really sure how I'll go about the Triggers just yet as I hate to toss the Analog feature there, but the way the PS3 controller is setup inside just makes that a real witch to pull off until I think of something for it, that or they'll just be wired to work as on/off, not sure yet.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I decided to go ahead and do the ABXY buttons, mostly for the fun of it, and they do look wild in a PS3 shell.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#5 tonkie

tonkie

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:56 AM

Cool project man. Those buttons look sexy in that controller. Maybe the pictures make those PCB look bigger then they actually are, but that looks like a lot to be stuffed inside that tiny Sixaxis controller. I'm in no way doubting that you can pull this off though. Your PS360 controller clearly proves that you are beyond capable of accomplishing this.

Good luck!

#6 malmeid2

malmeid2

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:55 AM

An Xbox 360 controller inside of a PS3 shell? That's an abomination if I've ever seen one. The Playstation controller has horrible ergonomics. Not knocking your work though, that aspect of the project gets an A+. Nice job!

#7 Drilus

Drilus

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:59 PM

That does indeed look mighty sexy. ;]

#8 KRQKAN

KRQKAN

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Xbox 360 ,computer
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:57 PM

nice but i dont like the idea of puting a 360 controller in a ps3 controller, u cant play fps with the ps3! tongue.gif

#9 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE(tonkie @ Jun 3 2008, 08:32 PM) View Post

Cool project man. Those buttons look sexy in that controller. Maybe the pictures make those PCB look bigger then they actually are, but that looks like a lot to be stuffed inside that tiny Sixaxis controller. I'm in no way doubting that you can pull this off though. Your PS360 controller clearly proves that you are beyond capable of accomplishing this.

Good luck!

The 360 Wired CL board can be cut down to 2" x 1 1/4", it's roughly the size of the PS3 battery pack now. The part that makes it so rough is all the wiring, there's really just enough room in the controller for all that mess.

QUOTE(malmeid2 @ Jun 3 2008, 11:31 PM) View Post

An Xbox 360 controller inside of a PS3 shell? That's an abomination if I've ever seen one. The Playstation controller has horrible ergonomics. Not knocking your work though, that aspect of the project gets an A+. Nice job!

But ya have no qualms with the PS360 one? I did this after doing that one. Some people prefer the PS controller layout, I used to not like it, then liked it, then the XBOX came out and the Duke was the shiznit, granted a super sized shiznit that went back for seconds and thirds, then the S-controller, now I'm used to using the 360 one, but it's great to go back and mess with an old controller style on a newer system, especially when it's not supposed to work on it at all. wink.gif

QUOTE(KRQKAN @ Jun 4 2008, 10:33 AM) View Post

nice but i dont like the idea of puting a 360 controller in a ps3 controller, u cant play fps with the ps3! tongue.gif

That must be why I did it and you didn't, I knew there was a reason for it. wink.gif There are more than just FPS games on the 360 too.

Edited by RDC, 05 June 2008 - 11:02 AM.

#10 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:28 PM

Almost there...

Everything is all installed and wired up now. I'm taking a pass on the Analog of the Triggers for now and just making them act as buttons, can't think of any game besides flying/driving games that would need them to be Analog anyway, so for now they'll do as buttons. Ya can all call up Sony and blame them for that, their design since the PS2 controller has been crap for hardcore modding with that flimsy plastic daughter board and carbon film button contacts that ya cant cut and splice into and then their weirdo 3 common line setup.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Right now everything works almost as it should, each stick wants to drift left slightly for some tarded reason. It's easy enough to straighten out, but tearing that thing all the way back down is the only way to get to it and fix it, and anyone that's had a plain jane PS3 controller apart knows what fun it is just to get it back together on it's own, so I'm taking a break from this puppy for awhile because I've seen enough of it the last few days to last me awhile. wink.gif I'll get around to tweaking it sooner or later, it'll drive me nutz if I don't, but there she is, a Wired 360 controller in a PS3 shell for your love/hate of the thing, enjoy. wink.gif

IPB Image

#11 adrian089

adrian089

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:58 PM

nice, i like the axby buttons, i once took apart a ps2 controller and couldnt get it together i see why you gotta take a break from that, nice job

#12 BerT69

BerT69

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:31 AM

friggin Sweet....!!!!

#13 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(adrian089 @ Jun 4 2008, 07:34 PM) View Post

nice, i like the axby buttons, i once took apart a ps2 controller and couldnt get it together i see why you gotta take a break from that, nice job

Get yourself a PS3 one to tear down and just put back together, you'll love that PS2 one afterwards. wink.gif

Well I messed with it some and straightened out the stick drifting issues, so this one is about as good as it'll get. I may revisit this nightmare one day on another one and see about getting the Triggers to work Analog like they're supposed to, but for now I've had enough of this PS3 shell, I'd rather tear apart an anvil.

IPB Image

Edited by RDC, 07 June 2008 - 01:16 PM.

#14 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:59 AM

Well, here we go with version 2 of this thing...

The differences here are I'm going after keeping the Triggers Analog and installing a Headset jack, making it pretty much as close to a 360 controller as it can get. It's still in the very early stages right now as I'm getting the main functions wired up and working first.

IPB Image

IPB Image

As of right now both Sticks (just the Analog functions), LB/RB, A, B, X and Y are wired up and working.

IPB Image

Next will be the D-pad and Clicks (Stick buttons) then the LEDs (already swapped to Green) and then the Rumble motors, Triggers and Headset jack will be the last things to get sorted. The Rumble motors aren't too big a deal as I've already done them on the previous version and I don't expect the Headset jack to be too big a pain, just have to find one that will fit in there. Then the Triggers, which require adding in another daughter board, mega PITA and is what it took to get the L1/2 and R1/2 swapped on another PS3 controller I messed with awhile back.

#15 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:27 PM

OK, now Select, Start, Guide, Clicks, D-pad and the LEDs are all wired up..

IPB Image

IPB Image

Just have to mess with the Rumble, Triggers and Headset jack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users