6 replies to this topic

#1 sprocketme2

sprocketme2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:04 PM

I want to have my jewel to be lighted and sound reactive with the xbox. I dont want to buy a pulseuv because it does way more than what I need or want. I have 4 3.6v 20mA leds already installed around the cleared jewel and I think I have the correct wires soldered to the AV socket for sound.

QUOTE(gamesx)

IPB Image
Pins 1 & 2 for right audio
Pins 14 & 15 for left audio

Im only planning to do a mono instalation but I did both for good measure. I tried connecting it all through a lm 386 IC *low voltage audio amplifier* but its not sound reactive.
QUOTE(acidmods)
IPB Image

Can anybody direct me to a tutorial for sound reactive leds without a pulseuv? THANKS!

Edited by sprocketme2, 03 June 2008 - 11:05 PM.

#2 kirky1991

kirky1991

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:12 AM

I'm pretty sure you can do it using PnP transistors.... here's a link Clicky

It says you need tip31 component but i'm sure a transistor will work ok! its not for the xbox but i'm sure you can figure out how to change it a little!

#3 TR4G-

TR4G-

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:25 AM

hm. r u sure u wired the 386 ic correctly? becuase ive done that before in a psp and it worked swell. xbox should be the same.

#4 sprocketme2

sprocketme2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE(TR4G- @ Jun 3 2008, 05:01 PM) View Post

hm. r u sure u wired the 386 ic correctly? becuase ive done that before in a psp and it worked swell. xbox should be the same.

Ya I did it on the psp as well, but it doesnt work on here for some reason. uhh.gif

#5 Lung-Dart

Lung-Dart

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Computers, gamming, modding, music, playing instruments, healthy lifestyle, poutines, $$$
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:37 PM

Odd, Ive never seen an opamp with gain leads. I was under the impression that you needed to add a negative feedback loop with a resistance to lower the gain of the amplifier to something more reasonable. And the other pins were for connecting to a pot to adjust the zero input gain.

Anywho. Chances are very good its not hooked up correctly as opamps tend to be very picky. As in, connect the signal before the power and your chip is fried picky.

What are you trying to achieve with this? Intensity based on sound? Look up the schematic for that chip, an design your setup again from scratch. If you have extra parts, it may be easier to start with a prototype on a bread board. This will make the design much smoother. Trust me.

#6 sprocketme2

sprocketme2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:34 PM

Good news I got it working perfectly!
The problem was the AV pinout I got from gamesx was not even close to correct. (possibly due to my xbox being v1.6) I went in and used my multimeter to check continuity between the connector pins and the red and white RCA jacks. I used a common ground for both even though Im sure there isnt. Anyway my project came out good. I guess Ill write a quick tut.

Tested on xbox version 1.6.
First disassemble your box down to the motherboard, remove the motherboard, flip it over and locate the pins for the AV jack at the rear.
IPB Image
These pins connect to the RCA jacks.
IPB Image
I dont know which is left or right, so you will have to figure that out. Now solder about 10 inches of 30 guage wire to each pin.
IPB Image
Then run those wires through the whole nearest the AV jack and place the motherboard back into the box.
IPB Image
I suggest reassebling all of your boxes components now. If you dont already have LEDs installed around your clear jewel, you should also do that now. The setup of your lm386 chip will be different depending on the number of leds you use but the wiring will still be the same.
Use this as your guide: IPB Image
In my setup I connected 5V from the hard drive straight to the voltage supply pin and same with ground. The negative lead of your LEDs must also go to the ground pin. The positive LED lead goes to the output pin and finally the negative audio wire that you created earlier goes to input- and one of the signal wires goes to the input+. With no resistors and hooked up to the 5v supply, I had a max output of about 2.5V while playing an average song. So unless you play high frequency music you will not get an output voltage anywhere close to the supply voltage.

#7 Infamous Ob

Infamous Ob

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • Interests:Family&Children, Traveling, Skateboarding, Cars, Electronics, Music, G4TV, Nice Homes, GTA Modding
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:51 AM

Can we get some footage or pics of it in action?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users