4 replies to this topic

#1 mushboom

mushboom

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:08 AM

Hi Guys
Need help with this one. I just got my halo 3 xbox and after opening it discovered that it has the benq VAD6038 drive. Cool I thought.. Well long story short I followed the flashing guide to cut the traces and solder on the switch and I can say it was neatly done now it's like I have no power in the drive. If I press the eject button the drive won't eject. NOTHING.. having yet to even play the machine I would be greatfully interested in any help on how to check this drive out and I have read many places that the Benq VAD6038 are like brick less so if you know how to help please drop me a line...

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:23 PM

Repair the traces first off and make sure the drive is still in good order. Then have a Google-thon and read on how to flash the thing, because it can all be done similar to the Samsung drives now, so ya laid the blade on that board for nothing really, except maybe to kill the drive.

#3 mushboom

mushboom

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(RDC @ Jun 6 2008, 01:59 PM) View Post

Repair the traces first off and make sure the drive is still in good order. Then have a Google-thon and read on how to flash the thing, because it can all be done similar to the Samsung drives now, so ya laid the blade on that board for nothing really, except maybe to kill the drive.

Well as they say.. To mistake is to human..

#4 ImmortalZ

ImmortalZ

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:07 PM

I did my Benq the same way, without realizing there's a soft flash technique out there.

But I have soldering skills, so I didn't mess up.

Anyway, I've found that it is EASY, very EASY to bridge the ground and power lines when you cut those traces. The thin traces you are cutting are positive power lines while the ground plane surrounds them. It is easy to remove the solder mask from the surrounding ground plane and when you solder the wires on, you may bridge the contacts.

It might not be dead yet, so double and triple check the area around your soldering, using a magnifying glass if possible, to see if you bridge the ground plane to the power line. Rework this and you should be good to go.

The drive and the 360 is surprisingly resilient to things like this - I plugged in my drive power cable inverted (why they didn't notch it properly is another question) and the console RRoDed, but the everything was fine when I discovered my error (gave me hell of a heart burn though).

#5 Meshuggah27

Meshuggah27

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:38 AM

Why dont you just buy a compatible SATA card and forget that outdated mod?

You can flash it without cutting the traces and installing the switch if you have the card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users