kimoleto

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:53 PM

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

This is my new project: I found this small fan that I was able to place inside the HS (some moto tooling), there's still enough space for the DVD drive to seat properly. Air flow is reduced (but I can feel the HS cooling in my hand 4V) due to the fact that there is very little space between the fan and HS, If I cut sections of the fan funnel (the circular outside rim of the fan body, will this improve air flow???, Ive seen water pumps thah have an inlet and outlet, if run dry you can feel air flow, I'm looking for this lateral air movement, any ideas???
And yes I still have to clean and straighten the fins

#2 HackerSupreme

HackerSupreme

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:04 PM

What in the name of everything good and holy happened to your heatsink fins?

Why not just cut out the outside of the fan, so it is only the spinning blades and the middle motor thing, cut off the outside case thing.

And cut out the center of the vanes of the heatsink so you can put the fan in them.

So the heatsink looks something like this.

IPB Image

#3 kimoleto

kimoleto

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:13 PM

biggrin.gif , it is call loittering, I had nathing better to do, I saw the heat sink, My dremel Tool, the fan....
So you tried with out the fan hood and it works???, do you get air moving???

#4 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:46 PM

i sure hope you have that fan blowing onto the heatsink, and not away from it.

a bad idea in my opinion when your working with such a small space. half the air will go to the front of the console, and may just get sucked back through and go into the front of the console again, or it could create an air pocket. and with the DVD drive sitting so close, theres not going to be much airflow anyway

what it needs its like suggested, just the casing off the fan, and make the hole in the heatsink match the fan (ie - make it round) and then block off the fins that would allow air to go to the front

#5 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:54 PM

You're losing a lot of real estate on that heatsink, add that with the fact that there's nowhere to be sucking in cool air from (since it's directly under the DVD-ROM), and you're probably worse off now than the stock setup.

#6 PezDispenser

PezDispenser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:04 AM

I don't think there are any experts in this particular mod, short of an actual heat-sink designer.

It looks to me like you've reduced it to the kind of cooler they stick on the high-end PC video cards. I'll be stunned, if it can cool adequately.

Those PC video coolers are capable of moving a lot of air (your fan can't be that good). Even if I was going to try to make a PC video cooler do the job, I'd want to squeeze 2 of them in there (I'm fairly sure there's not enough room).

HackerSupreme's fan also pushes air across the heatsink, your "box frame" fan can only do perpendicular to the heatsink...

You've got to move a lot more air, just to make up for the loss of fin area. (a really tall order)

If you've got a way to measure temps, and this actually does work, I'm sure everyone here would love to hear it.

#7 kimoleto

kimoleto

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:41 PM

Lateral air movement was exacly the question, Im trying to get it by removing the frame of the fan
I knew this is not an easy task, but using team work we can handle it

#8 PezDispenser

PezDispenser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:40 AM

Might as well give it a try, if you can lay your hands on some cheaper fans, you might want to experiment a bit.

I'd say there's no point cutting the "frame" in a part of the fan sits next the the length of a fin... you might be able to almost completely remove the other 2 sides, though. One side has no support going into the center, I'd say you should be able to cut it (just leave the corners, for rigidity/stability).

I also still think you're talking about a pretty high speed fan necessary to push that much air in there. (Possibly electric blender or drill noise level)

The concept may not seem much like DuBob's

(DuBob's) copper heatsink, but in some ways it is. You're trying to get better cooling through the fins' surface area. You need much faster air movement and higher pressure. His sink originally had more surface area, but he couldn't get the airflow without higher air pressures ----or more space b/w fins, which would throw his whole idea out the window.

If you know anybody whose really into computer hardware, they can probably get you some problematic fans, that will work well enough for you to try some things.

I don't mean to piss all over your idea or your creativity. If you really search through the GPU heat sink replacement threads, there is not a lot of thrilling success there. Maybe you will have the end-all and be-all replacement, sort of like the x-clamp replacement.

My 360 has 6 months left in warranty, then I go external DVD drive with a massive PC processor heatsink stuck on the GPU [+ higher cfm fans]... it's likely to look dumb (I'm a duct-tape fan), but I'll be going for cool.

I may even look for a way to strap the current GPU heatsink to the underside of the mobo. (If committed to ugly, why avoid Fugly?) I just don't get the guys who prefer to shell out $300 for a new console every 15-30, rather than have their console not look stock. ----Sometimes I swear 95% of people here seem to think if a mod doesn't improve the outside appearance, it has to look stock.

They can all chime in here now, if they like.

#9 kimoleto

kimoleto

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for your comments, I have a lot to think now....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users