PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:00 AM

Chart-Track: MGS4 had 'minimal' impact on UK PS3
Posted by XanTium | 17-6-2008 23:00 EST

From gamesindustry.biz:

Despite going straight in at number one in the software charts and being the biggest PlayStation 3-exclusive release so far, Metal Gear Solid 4 has failed to prove a major driver of hardware in the UK, with Chart-Track revealing a "minimal" spike of seven percent over its opening weekend.

The UK sales monitor revealed last night that Konami's hugely anticipated blockbuster, which released worldwide last Thursday (June 12), has become the second fastest-selling PS3 title in the UK after Grand Theft Auto IV, and 14,000 short of the opening weekend figure recorded by Metal Gear Solid 2 on PS2 in 2002.

Full Story: gamesindustry.biz

#2 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

Hard times here at present. The costs of living have rocketed and nobody has any spare cash at present. This has not come a s a surprise. Plus it is only 1 game. Sony needs to build on this title and add more of the same quality to attract buyers. Even then they have their work cut out at present.

#3 Giga_Death

Giga_Death

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:27 PM

^ "hard times" didn't coincide with the release of metal gear, they were there for a long time. GTA dwarfs this game and didn't do anything significant for either console in any country, so it isn't surprising.

Ironically there was a news report that the console industry is weathering the financial times quite well in America, which is in a worse state than the UK, any significant hardware sales would be interesting considering what happened with GTA.

#4 Kamasutra318

Kamasutra318

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:As a Computer Engineer, I try to learn as much as I can about electronics and software. Also games.
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:27 AM

Not a huge surprise since the PS3 was already pretty big in the UK, but still a bit surprising. Here in the US, Xbox 360 is the popular choice among the hardcore. I know no fewer than three people who went out and bought a PS3 for this game, all of whom already owned an Xbox 360 for at least a year. I'm not saying this will migrate people from the 360, but it appears to me that it could have a rather significant impact on console sales; at least more than GTA did. Of course, this is just anecdotal, but that's how it appears to me as I assume something similar is happening with other people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users