He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,735 posts
  • Interests:#lordvader129
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:03 AM

topic pretty much says it all, installed a wasabi and the drive wont pull the disc in or spin at all, LEDs on the wasabi behave normally (red, then green) and after removing the chip it still doesnt take a disc

ive heard of people having this issue with D2C wiis, but this is a DMS drive

any thoughts?

#2 banner

banner

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:26 AM

i dont know much about these chips but reading inbetween the lines it sounds like an install issue

check for bridges etc etc

#3 commandersafi

commandersafi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:58 AM

I doubt this is the problem, but you can check anyway. look on the right hand side of the drives logic bored (looking from the front) for a little switch. Make sure that switch isn't stuck. If it is stuck then that would be your problem.

If thats not it, then idk...never dealt with Dms. Have you tried asking over at nintendo-scene?

Edited by commandersafi, 19 June 2008 - 10:58 AM.

#4 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:23 AM

I've gotta agree that there's a short somewhere causing this. I know the Wasabi doesn't touch the pins on the DMS chipset, but check around all the IC pins and of course where you solder wires A, B and F.

#5 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • 17,735 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Jun 25 2008, 03:59 PM) View Post

I've gotta agree that there's a short somewhere causing this. I know the Wasabi doesn't touch the pins on the DMS chipset, but check around all the IC pins and of course where you solder wires A, B and F.

i posted on nintendo-scene
http://forums.ninten...hp?topic=2295.0

it doesnt seem to be a short, at least not one i can find (theres a pic linked in the n=scene forum) and i can get it to take a disc if i start a VC game, the screen will go black and it will pull in and eject discs normally

im starting to think somehow an IC got fried, and its only working right when the wii is powering it, but not managing it in any way

#6 spiffyville

spiffyville

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Interests:Working on the physics behind wingless flight for humans. Slow going so far.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:44 AM

I would agree. I've installed a number of the wasabis and have yet to run into this issue.

#7 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Jun 26 2008, 04:49 PM) View Post

i posted on nintendo-scene
http://forums.ninten...hp?topic=2295.0

it doesnt seem to be a short, at least not one i can find (theres a pic linked in the n=scene forum) and i can get it to take a disc if i start a VC game, the screen will go black and it will pull in and eject discs normally

im starting to think somehow an IC got fried, and its only working right when the wii is powering it, but not managing it in any way

From what I read on N-S, you swapped this drive for another (working), and it still had the fault?

If it *was* a drive board fault, I would have expected the problem to travel with it. Instead, if it's staying with the actual console I think you're going to need to strip it down to the main motherboard and take a good look. It is possible that the drive ribbon cable at the motherboard end isn't connected properly or has gotten pulled out of whack.

#8 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • 17,735 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Jul 2 2008, 11:32 PM) View Post

From what I read on N-S, you swapped this drive for another (working), and it still had the fault?

If it *was* a drive board fault, I would have expected the problem to travel with it. Instead, if it's staying with the actual console I think you're going to need to strip it down to the main motherboard and take a good look. It is possible that the drive ribbon cable at the motherboard end isn't connected properly or has gotten pulled out of whack.

you have it backwards smile.gif the problem did travel with the DVD drive, the nonworking drive was nonworking on both wiis, and the working drive was working on both

i ordered a new drive on tuesday, should be here soon, i plan to compare resistance and voltages to the broken drive in hopes of figuring out what killed it

#9 spiffyville

spiffyville

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Interests:Working on the physics behind wingless flight for humans. Slow going so far.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:38 PM

Could you post what you find? I'm fairly curious as to what is causing your issue.

#10 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Jul 3 2008, 04:57 PM) View Post

you have it backwards smile.gif the problem did travel with the DVD drive, the nonworking drive was nonworking on both wiis, and the working drive was working on both

i ordered a new drive on tuesday, should be here soon, i plan to compare resistance and voltages to the broken drive in hopes of figuring out what killed it

Ah - that would make much more sense.

If you haven't already tried, get some compressed air and give the whole board a good blast. It's possible you have a fragment somewhere causing a short.

#11 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • 17,735 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:48 AM

QUOTE(spiffyville @ Jul 3 2008, 09:14 AM) View Post

Could you post what you find? I'm fairly curious as to what is causing your issue.

funny story, i got my new drive today, installed it, and it doesnt pull in discs either, it tries though, but the roller isnt gripping or something

anyway i swapped the logic boards between the 2 drives so now my old one is working again, didnt find anything different when i was checking the pads and components, so its probably a fried IC

i also took a chance and installed the wasabi on the new logic board, and its working fine now, so i must have bridged something in the first install without realizing it which fried an IC

#12 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:00 PM

You've probably put this to bed now, but I'm wondering if it was something as simple as a bent pin on the drive power connector socket....

#13 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • 17,735 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Jul 13 2008, 06:36 AM) View Post

You've probably put this to bed now, but I'm wondering if it was something as simple as a bent pin on the drive power connector socket....

actually there was a bent pin, not sure when it got bent, but i still had the problem after i fixed it

now the drive is making a sortof half whirring half grinding sound, like the disc is rubbing lightly on something, doesnt seem to effect reading discs but the noise is annoying, lol, probably have to take the top cover off and see if anything is too loose, too tight or out of place, lol

BTW anyone ever use an XCM chameleon case? how does the button to change LED patterns work? i think mine is shorted (its always something, isnt it?)

#14 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:45 AM

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Jul 5 2008, 09:24 PM) View Post
... its working fine now ...

beerchug.gif