Photo

Houston We Have A Big Problem. Pro Help Needed.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Tiawaz

Tiawaz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:04 PM

Good morning everyone.

My morning was going too good to be true.. then the shit hit the fan. Recently I followed the guide to SOFTMOD my XBOX in 10min and get XBMC loaded up onto it. followed all the steps in the guide.

Step 1. Download the files from Xbins.
Step 2. Extract and move the 2 files for the splinter cell exploit to the xbox.
Step 3. Start Splinter Cell and load the exploited save game.
Step 4. Wait for UnleashX screen to load.
Step5. Create MS Backup
Step6. Create Mod Backup
Step7. Install Softmod
Step8. Restart System and FTP XBMC to APPS.
Step9. FTP to the system and pull the e:\BACKUP folder off the drive (backed up to DL-DVD-R).
Step9. Enjoy the shit out of XBMC.

Now everything works beautifully, however I have well over 5 gigs of anime and movies i would like to store on this device, so i searched my pile-O-crap and came up with an old 300gb seagate ide HDD i wasn't using anymore.

Now i found this guide.
http://www.techfreak.../modxbox2.shtml
which says i can put a bigger drive into my XBOX.... my heart fluttered a bit, and i dug up my torx 10&20 and went to town, taking everything apart, and getting everything ready.

all is ready and i start following the guide.

Step 1. Get the file. Got the file and saved it to my directory.
Step 2. Navigate to E:\backup\MS and find eeprom.bin....

I looked on the disk that I moved all the data that was in the E:\Backup folder... and NOTHING. all the rest is there but no sign of my EEPROM.BIN file. In a desperate effort I fired up windows search and searched my entire DVD drive for *.bin files..... but NOTHING.

this is a post of desperation, I would seriously like to get this to work on my XBOX instead of having to dump files to it every time i would like to watch an anime, or a movie.

PLZ HELP!

Thanks in advance.

#2 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:16 PM

Your EEPROM data is actually stored in a chip on the motherboard. Some softmod installers extract this data to a file on your HDD so you can copy it somewhere safe. It would appear your softmod installer did not.

I would recommend resoftmodding with Krazie's NDure installer. You pretty much follow the same process as before, but this one should rip the EEPROM data as part of it's installation.

Alternatively, you could copy ConfigMagic to your console and tell that to make a backup for you. It'll store it on the root of the E partition.

The EEPROM data is used to lock/unlock your drive. The console won't boot with an unlocked drive.

Note that you could always hook your X-Box into a network with your PC. If you currently have no LAN setup at your house, just grab a great long crossover cable and string it between the computer and console. Then XBMC can play your videos straight off the computers hard drive, using a standard share.

Granted, though, the stock X-Box HDDs are tiny for the purposes of storing games...

#3 Tiawaz

Tiawaz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:45 PM

so configmagic will pull my eeprom off my chip and back it up without me having to go through all the process again?

because i tried redoing the softmod through the same way. putting the files to the hard drive and going through the splintercell game... when i load up the modded save game, the screen just stays black. and if i eject the disk it goes to the xbox logo. i then have to turn off the unit and restart it without the disk in it for the unit to boot back into the softmodded interface.

#4 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,752 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE(Tiawaz @ Jun 20 2008, 10:21 AM) View Post

so configmagic will pull my eeprom off my chip and back it up without me having to go through all the process again?

yes, so can evox and probably a few other apps/dashboards

#5 Tiawaz

Tiawaz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:11 PM

I'm still new to all this, i pm'd you vader. hopefully you get my message, if not i'll post it here too.

Since i'm still new to the softmod scene I have no idea what the fuck is going on. But I am however a computer technician and know how to forward ports to give you all access.

This might be easier for someone to help me. Here is access so that you can put the files i need where they need to go. then tell me what to do.
Because i'm all thumbs.

My XBOX
ftp://myxbox.kicks-ass.net

User : xbox
Pass : access

Hopefully this will help you to see what I am looking at.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Tiawaz, 20 June 2008 - 09:12 PM.

#6 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:12 PM

If I am not mistaken you can go into your file manager find the save game you modded with and relaunch the original softmod screen from there and it will have the option to back up eeprom.

#7 Tiawaz

Tiawaz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:17 PM

this is the pic of what the softmod installer looks like... there isn't an EEPROM option.
http://www.verityhw....1/m... (10).JPG

I followed this guide here.
http://www.techfreak...s/modxbox.shtml

Edited by Tiawaz, 20 June 2008 - 09:20 PM.

#8 commandersafi

commandersafi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:23 PM

Install Evox and then there is an option in the EvoX dashboard to "backup." By choosing that it will backup your Eeprom.bin to the E: partition of the xbox.

Ftp into you xbox and get the Eeprom.bin

#9 Tiawaz

Tiawaz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:39 PM

i'm sitting at the screen with the blue rotating X on the screen. under none of my menu's do i see a backup option.

is it quite possible that the files i got were screwed up or messed with somehow?

I'm so sorry for my ignorance, but i'm not familiar with how the xbox works yet. nor how the softmods are working.

Like i said above, i re-copied the files from my pc to my memory card and then to the XBOX again.. and attempted to go back into the softmod installer, but when i launch it from the save game all i get is a black screen.

Edited by Tiawaz, 20 June 2008 - 09:41 PM.

#10 commandersafi

commandersafi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:41 PM

Are you at the EvoX dashboard?

If so go to settings or something...I dont remember exactly where it is, but there is a backup option in EvoX. Just try to find it

#11 Tiawaz

Tiawaz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:56 PM

above listed i posted the guide that i followed. only instead of installing UNLEASHX i installed EVOX which is what the guide that tells me how to install media center tells me to do here.
http://lifehacker.co...nter-299809.php

now i've poked my way around the EVOX screen that it gave me i've clicked on every option and there is no backup option.

Main Menu
LaunchDVD
Games
Applications
Emulators
System
File Explorer
MS Dashboard
Reboot
Shutdown

System Menu
Settings
Game Saves Manager
Misc
Format Menu
Skins

Settings gives me the bluescreen with all the setup options... but nothing that says backup.

Misc Menu
Stop FTP
Start FTP
Reset FTP
Restart Network
Close DVD Tray
Open DVD Tray
Copy Game Disk

nothing that says backup anywhere. Like i said i think the installer i got was fubar'd from the get go.
since it should have something that says EEPROM BACKUP. but all i got in the installer was this.
http://lifehacker.co...tmod-header.jpg

if you have AOL IM i'll be more than happy to give out my name.
My aim name is CABLEPIRANHA

Edited by Tiawaz, 20 June 2008 - 09:59 PM.

#12 commandersafi

commandersafi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:59 PM

Ok, I suggest you completely remove the softmod and the save files from the xbox to make it completely stock again. Use this GUIDE to remove the softmod properly

Then once you have removed it, just start over

#13 Tiawaz

Tiawaz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:06 PM

ok going to give it a try. wish me luck.

#14 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:12 PM

Xman954 wrote an application with the purpose of taking a backup from the xbox eeprom.

You know how to ftp to your xbox. Just Google for the application, ftp it to your xbox to the apps or games folder and launch it. It will create the eeprom.bin for you. The available options in the evox dashboard depend upon a configuration file. Maybe the Backup option isn't enabled in your version.

regards.

#15 commandersafi

commandersafi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:13 PM

Good luck...Get back to us on what happens

EDIT: I believe that application is ConfigMagic that obcd is talking about. And I forgot about Evox's config file...that is most likely your problem. So do what obcd posted...

Edited by commandersafi, 20 June 2008 - 10:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users